PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking Team Needs 2019

I also agree with the above chart that quality depth at both OL & LB is almost non-existent. Injury excuses help explain some of that lack of depth; but even if everybody returns next season, including the injured ones, we still need at least 2 more high-quality players at both position groups.

Surprised you mentioned the O-line. If we resign Trent Brown we are in very strong position.

I’d say the D-line is our biggest issue. Our LBs have played better than I thought they would this year but we do need another upgrade there.

For me personally I want us to go DL then WR/TE and then look at LB depending on the board.

Surprised you mentioned the O-line. If we resign Trent Brown we are in very strong position...
We would be, for our starters. Our backups, however, are a different story. Karras & Waddle are #8-9 guys at best, yet are our #6-7 guys now. We still need another OT to develop and a C/G to challenge Schwenke, Karras & the grotesquely execrable Thanksdad Ferentz.

I think we need help at every position. But considering that we might get Brady's final year in 2019 we need to maximize that season.

1) DL - that class is stacked with elite DL prospects. Not sure what happens with Brown and Shelton but we need upgrades regardless.
2) WR - I think we will be fine if we hit on that pick and bring back Edelman, Dorsett/Patterson/FA
3) TE - Gronk could retire and Allen will probably get cut.
4) DL - another boost to the DL
5) LB - Bentley, KVN, DH appears to be pretty solid but I think we could use a player with a higher ceiling.

I think we need help at every position. But considering that we might get Brady's final year in 2019 we need to maximize that season...

3) TE - Gronk could retire and Allen will probably get cut...
Yep, the TE position needs a 67% overhaul, if not a 100% overhaul. Passing on George Kittle in favor of Dwayne Allen will go down in infamy as one of Billy's greatest (of many, many other) draft-day blunders.

Surprised you mentioned the O-line. If we resign Trent Brown we are in very strong position.

I’d say the D-line is our biggest issue. Our LBs have played better than I thought they would this year but we do need another upgrade there.

For me personally I want us to go DL then WR/TE and then look at LB depending on the board.
To assure getting a top DT, the Patriots may need to trade up in the first round.
There may be a run on DTs.

To assure getting a top DT, the Patriots may need to trade up in the first round.

Dexter Lawrence might fall based on his failed drug test.

I’m happy with trading up to get the right guy. Which for me would be Ed Oliver. He’s Pro Bowl within 1st year along with Trey Flowers that give us a very good Pass rush. He’s also dominate against the Run.

3) TE - Gronk could retire and Allen will probably get cut.

If Gronk retires, AND the Pats cut Allen (instead of extending him to reduce his cap hit), the Pats would be down to Hollister (now on IR), Izzo (on IR all season), Anderson (just promoted from the PS), and whatever rookie (s).

NFL experience level at TE drops from about 10,000 snaps to about 700. Patriots-specific experience (blocking schemes, as well as route-running) drops from about 7,600 snaps to 145.

The Pats definitely seem to need to snag another TE prospect or two (or three) in April, but ....

I'm surprised you don't have WR higher on the list. We have Edelman under contract, and control Gordon's rights (presumably he'll re-sign here), but that's it for next year. That seems like a far more pressing need than some of the other positions. I'd probably put it at 2 or 3 on your list, depending on free agency. Bentley coming back should help the LB position. Obi could still pan out at safety. Etc.
Gordon will never play here again. Forget about him. Call me crazy but I still think we have been better without him. Call me crazy again but I still like Philip Dorsett. We do need another receiver. Check out Hakeem Butler from Iowa State. I wish Obi could be the answer.

"Or Three" sounds about right.

Not that I've taken an actual count or anything, but reading this year's scouting reports, I feel like I'm seeing more TE prospects with some variation of "strong blocker" attached to guys who have had decent receiving success in college.

Also, it will be interesting to see if the Pats give Anderson a chance against the Chargers to show what he can - and can't - do for them. For all we know, Anderson may have been practicing with the #1s on offense since Christmas.

Gordon will never play here again. Forget about him. Call me crazy but I still think we have been better without him. Call me crazy again but I still like Philip Dorsett. We do need another receiver. Check out Hakeem Butler from Iowa State. I wish Obi could be the answer.

I posted that before the Gordon issues. It didn't age well! I don't think that we're better without him (he's pretty talented), but I could see how getting back to a ball control, spread it around kind of offense could be good for the team in the playoffs.

Butler is a lot of fun to watch, but I think he's a year or two off from being a consistent contributor. This draft has more polished receivers than Butler, although his upside is incredible.

We would be, for our starters. Our backups, however, are a different story. Karras & Waddle are #8-9 guys at best, yet are our #6-7 guys now. We still need another OT to develop and a C/G to challenge Schwenke, Karras & the grotesquely execrable Thanksdad Ferentz.

For me, SIX quality starters are quite sufficient. We need to re-sign Brown. Then we are set. We can arguments with who is good enough to sit on the bench as the #7 OL.

Matt Miller has a new mock out. Hockenson not going in 1st. Has Fant and Smith ahead of him. I'd take Hock. No Dexter Lawrence or Dremont Jones or Tillery in Round 1. Maybe, could deal up in 2nd for one of the dt's. (Detroit's 3RD)I'd also like to get a fast wr and a bigger one. Whatever one we don't get in free agency or trade with our 2nd rounder.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Latest Picks After Kyler Murray, Underclassmen Declare

OT-
- Dan Skipper (6095/315), signed to the PS on Jan 8th
- Ryker Matthews (6054/320), signed to a futures contract Jan 14th
- Ulrick John (6057/310), on Pats IR (might have replaced Waddle for this season, if not for injury)

IOL-
- Jake Eldrenkamp (6044/305), OC/OG, signed to futures contract Jan 8th
- Tony Adams (6013/305), OC, signed to PS Dec 21st
- Schwenke (6030/320), OG/OC, on Pats IR (made the 53, more athletic than Karras)

At least there's a bit of a pool of non-rookies to draw from now.

Matt Miller has a new mock out. Hockenson not going in 1st. Has Fant and Smith ahead of him. I'd take Hock. No Dexter Lawrence or Dremont Jones or Tillery in Round 1. Maybe, could deal up in 2nd for one of the dt's. (Detroit's 3RD)I'd also like to get a fast wr and a bigger one. Whatever one we don't get in free agency or trade with our 2nd rounder.

Surprised Hockenson wasn’t the first TE taken. I can understand Fant though as he just flashes throughout the tape when you watch him. Would love if we could end up with Both of them.

Lawerence is a mammoth - another guy I’d love to see here

Surprised Hockenson wasn’t the first TE taken. I can understand Fant though as he just flashes throughout the tape when you watch him. Would love if we could end up with Both of them.

Lawerence is a mammoth - another guy I’d love to see here

Irv Smith looks like he'll test well. Dude accelerates & can really run. Cleans up his blocking & he's a 3 down nightmare.

I'd love him here. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him sneak in the 1st. Reminds me oda beefed up Evan Engram w better blocking upside

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back