PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking Team Needs 2019

Oh I agree. I wouldn’t mind a triple dip. The more they draft, the better chance of hitting. My issue is deciding who. If you look at past picks, short area quickness seems to be the key. What’s your view on Darius Slayton? A 7.00 3-cone, but he’s fast, has big hands and could probably be had later than the likes of Campbell, McLaurin (thinking of speedsters here (thinking about Cooks and Dorsett being speedsters).

I plan on talking about Slayton, Hall, and Jennings in my WR thread at some point in the next week. I'll do a full rundown, but not yet. Sorry for the cop out.

Do you consider Bennett a DT or DE? If DT, we're fine there. Him and
Guy starting. Butler and Pennell backing them up. I think he's more of
a de. Would like a quicker 3-tech guy. Maybe kid from TCU Collier in 2nd.
I would like a DE very early too. Plus, a te and wr. They're my first 4 picks
in any order.

After that, maybe an OT and Izzy.

Early down DE, passing down DT for me.

Do you consider Bennett a DT or DE? If DT, we're fine there. Him and
Guy starting. Butler and Pennell backing them up. I think he's more of
a de. Would like a quicker 3-tech guy. Maybe kid from TCU Collier in 2nd.
I would like a DE very early too. Plus, a te and wr. They're my first 4 picks
in any order.

After that, maybe an OT and Izzy.
Bennett will lineup at both DT and DE for NE, but for roster purposes I'd consider him a DT...Would love Bennett and Guy as the starting DT pair and have Pennell and rotate in

The edge still has to be addressed, I'm hopeful for Ansah or Houston, although it should be addressed in the draft regardless...Wise as a starting DE is manageable but prefer him rotating in
I actually think that one of our top 4 picks should be a safety because of the uncertainty of McCourty's future after this season, and the value/quality of safeties at the top of this draft.

It would be great to bring along a rookie safety into our rotation while McCourty and Chung are still here to provide guidance and tutoring.
Horrible safety class unfortunately...I like Johnson, Harris, and Williams from Navy on Day 3
I’d love to get a safety, but signing JMac for 2 years. Pushed it back a year for me.
Interesting you say because J Mac is a CB, but after watching him in preseason I thought he was better fit as a FS...glad he's back

Horrible safety class unfortunately.

Interesting. You don't like any of Abram, Rapp, CGJ, Adderley, Thornhill, Savage, Redwine, Edwards, etc? I think it's a pretty solid year, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Interesting. You don't like any of Abram, Rapp, CGJ, Adderley, Thornhill, Savage, Redwine, Edwards, etc? I think it's a pretty solid year, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.
Simply not very talented compared to previous years

Abram and Rapp are overrated but will be good pros

For those who are saying we have problems at WR, whilst I don’t disagree, the only loss we’ve incurred since the playoffs is Hogan and he was hardly setting the field alight. Of course, Judging by the performance of our WRs not named Edelman in the SB, staying virtually the same at the position is hardly something to welcome.
I'll keep saying this, Tommy boy looks first at Edelman then Gronk and if he has time he will look at someone else. Dorsett only seemed to be the first option on short passes, deep catches were, oh oh nobody else is open

For those who are saying we have problems at WR, whilst I don’t disagree, the only loss we’ve incurred since the playoffs is Hogan and he was hardly setting the field alight. Of course, Judging by the performance of our WRs not named Edelman in the SB, staying virtually the same at the position is hardly something to welcome.
We've also lost The Experiment.

Needs, on offense:
MULTIPLE WRs
TE, perhaps 2
OT

On defense:
MULTIPLE DEs (Priority #1!)
Safety
DT
LB

Last edited:
Simply not very talented compared to previous years

Abram and Rapp are overrated but will be good pros

Curious how you measure talent? I think Abram and Rapp are slam dunk, pro bowl level players who will instantly shore up any secondary they join.

Curious how you measure talent? I think Abram and Rapp are slam dunk, pro bowl level players who will instantly shore up any secondary they join.
Very hard to take any of our judgement this seriously, only time will tell

I'm sure many felt that way on Calvin Pryor or Matt Elam as well

For the record I really like Rapp as a SS and think Abram has high upside

Very hard to take any of our judgement this seriously, only time will tell

I'm sure many felt that way on Calvin Pryor or Matt Elam as well

For the record I really like Rapp as a SS and think Abram has high upside

Yeah, we may both be wrong. :D

I guess what I'm pushing for is details -- I'd love to see you break things down play by play with those safeties, or link to clips that give you concern, etc. That would help me understand why you don't rate them as highly, and maybe give me a reason to redo my own grades.

I loved Elam. He was a crazy SOB on the field.

I'm more and more enamoured by the idea of taking Risner at 32 if he is there. Didn't realize he can play all 5 positions.

I loved Elam. He was a crazy SOB on the field.
I've whiffed on plenty of prospects (Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree, Louis Nix), but proudly never had too much love for him
I'm more and more enamoured by the idea of taking Risner at 32 if he is there. Didn't realize he can play all 5 positions.
Definitely appealing but not sure he's worth a first round pick

So swing tackle has become a major need. How high do you take one?

There are two tackles in this draft that make a lot of sense in our offense.

The first is mcgary from Washington. Pure right tackle, excellent run blocker, average pass protector. Bb seems to draft a year a head of time, and he would be the perfect replacement for cannon.

The other is Hyatt from Clemson. Excellent pass protector, not the best run blocker. Tons of big game experience, can play either side and tons of starts in college. Needs a red shirt year to get bigger and stronger.

Hyatt would be good late round pickup for Scar

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Back