PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking Christian Barmore was a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopping the run on 1st- and 2nd-downs would change even more.
Can't have everything Captain. As you note, run stuffing is not Barmore's strong suit so let's hope he contributes well collapsing the pocket. That would be a big help. Maybe not the biggest help, but I am satisfied with an improvement.

Cracks me up, because in previous years, the Pats getting the consensus BEST DT in the draft would have been met with cheers.

Well, they got him, and in the second round (as the first DT off the board). So let's all get a little more morose over it, shall we?

Aside from re-signing Guy, how so?
Godchaux, Anderson, Judon, Adams, Guy etc. Four of those guys are among the best run defenders in the league. Also, Hightower, KVN etc will certainly assist. They’ll be others added later in the off-season. Just because you may not care for those players doesn’t mean our run D won’t improve. It’s not worse than last year. Not debatable.

Cracks me up, because in previous years, the Pats getting the consensus BEST DT in the draft would have been met with cheers.

Well, they got him, and in the second round (as the first DT off the board). So let's all get a little more morose over it, shall we?
When did pointing out profiles and player strengths/weaknesses when discussing draftees become "a little morose"?

He trusted Urban Meyer too, so...

I would trust all of these weasels only as far as I could throw them.
While I understand your point in general, with Saban there is a personal friendship that goes back over 40 years; BB met Saban through his dad Steve Belichick. Saban may be a weasel, but I don‘t think he’d intentionally misinform BB to push his own interests the way he would another coach, or the way Meyer would to BB. Just my opinion though.

Barmore just turned 21, I guess we can write him off because he struggled early in his Alabama career.

From what I’ve heard on the radio he struggled, at one point vented his frustration about the program on social media, had a discussion with someone about it and instead of folding up his tent and leaving he scrubbed his social media account, reapplied himself and thrived.

I get at this point in the draft process there is a lot of noise... so forget everything that we’ve heard. Here are his game logs from Alabama in order, look at the progression of the player game by game to the end where he is taking over and manhandling National Championship contenders. Judging from his tackle totals, he excelled as a run defender in the latter half of 2021 and remained a pass rush threat.

www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-barmore-1/gamelog/

As far as Sapp goes he was a disgrace as a football analyst, I suspect he would be a worse coach or GM. Just because you’re talented at the game doesn’t mean you can teach it... if that were true Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson would be good coaches/GM’s... they’re not.

But... but... Tommy...
Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

When did pointing out profiles and player strengths/weaknesses when discussing draftees become "a little morose"?
One post here expects Barmore to fail his physical.

Glitch had No great physical talent anywhere...He was drafted at #64 for his "intangibles", so the comparison to Gronkowski and Barmore doesn't hold.
I just used Richardson as an example of a particularly bad pick, I wasn't trying to imply it was an apples to apples comparison, just that the 2nd round is BB's round to take chances. (which is kind of redundant since EVERYONE is taking chances on every pick)

One post here expects Barmore to fail his physical.
Lol... anyone here see Barmore run a 4.9 forty with his shirt off? The guy's not a fatty.

I hope he takes slipping into the second round as a slight and builds off the end of his Bama career. There are no guarantees with draft picks, but saying he is fat or poorly conditioned is simply not true.

I'm assuming Judon plays all three downs on the other side.

Right, if we're discussing the entire defensive front...But if it's just the interior of the front, then Wino wouldn't be seeing many if any snaps there...

Godchaux, Anderson, Judon, Adams, Guy etc. Four of those guys are among the best run defenders in the league. Also, Hightower, KVN etc will certainly assist. They’ll be others added later in the off-season. Just because you may not care for those players doesn’t mean our run D won’t improve. It’s not worse than last year. Not debatable.

Monty Adams isn't going to help our run defense, and Judon is an edge-setter, not an interior presence...Don't believe that Godchaux & Anderson are the Immovable Objects they are being made out to be either; but we shall see...

Barmore just turned 21, I guess we can write him off because he struggled early in his Alabama career.

From what I’ve heard on the radio he struggled, at one point vented his frustration about the program on social media, had a discussion with someone about it and instead of folding up his tent and leaving he scrubbed his social media account, reapplied himself and thrived.

I get at this point in the draft process there is a lot of noise... so forget everything that we’ve heard. Here are his game logs from Alabama in order, look at the progression of the player game by game to the end where he is taking over and manhandling National Championship contenders. Judging from his tackle totals, he excelled as a run defender in the latter half of 2021 and remained a pass rush threat.

As far as Sapp goes he was a disgrace as a football analyst, I suspect he would be a worse coach or GM. Just because you’re talented at the game doesn’t mean you can teach it... if that were true Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson would be good coaches/GM’s... they’re not.

He'll be 22 by August.

I celebrate all the noise associated with this 21 year old. Without it, he would have gone between 15 and 25.

While I understand your point in general, with Saban there is a personal friendship that goes back over 40 years; BB met Saban through his dad Steve Belichick. Saban may be a weasel, but I don‘t think he’d intentionally misinform BB to push his own interests the way he would another coach, or the way Meyer would to BB. Just my opinion though.
From all NFL Coaches i assume BB is the last guy Saban would lie to...they look together like two friends who will relax on Florida Beach when they are in retirement talking about football all day

Oh, right, of course. Someone call the team chef and make sure they're stocked up on mushed peas and ovaltine then.

I know your kidding with this post, but everyone should take into account, that the Pats spend alot of time and energy on targeted nutrition plans for all of thier players. Something even a big school like Alabama can not do. I think writing off a 21 year old kid, who hasn't had a day of practice as a pro yet, is ridiculous. I liked the pick, thought he was a beast in the National Championship game. He can only get better now being a full time athlete with nothing else to worry about. I think it also helps that he has plenty of other Bama guys in the Pats locker room.

Lets see how he looks after conditioning and a few months of a meal plan (not the unlimited ice cream meal plan from college) targeted to him.

Heard Bedard in a podcast relate what he’d heard from some NFL scouts about Barmore. Basically, the knock is he’s not an intelligent guy. Thankfully, you don’t have to be a genius to play on the defensive line. A good chunk of his “immaturity” problem disappeared when he no longer had to pretend to be a college student which he had to do to play football. Even at Alabama.

Now, Barmore can just be a football player which is what he’s good at based on his All SEC status last season and his dominant college football playoffs performance.

Parcells noted that playing the DL was "not exactly rocket science" so he will be OK.

Warren Sapp assaults women, went bankrupt immediately after playing and fought in court to retain his sneaker collection... but we need to listen to Warren Sapp.
I see a lot of messenger attacking in an effort to ignore the message. Its just information. It might be true or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back