PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Superbowl 52 Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nikki,

Living in NY, it seems like EVERYONE in NY was rooting for the Eagles. It’s tough to live in this area as a Pat’s fan. I too had a hard time getting over the loss. I kept reliving certain plays in my head. And thinking, if they only did this, or only did that, if the defense just came up with ONE big play (they never did).

Just thinking about the team’s legacy, they would have tied for the most SB wins by any team. Brady would’ve been Super Bowl MVP once again, which would’ve been incredible. I felt like this was Brady’s last chance to win a SB, so the loss was crushing.

Very tough loss to get over. Then again, us Pat’s fans have become somewhat spoiled. 5 Championships is pretty amazing. So that let’s me have some relief from that painful loss.

Some discuission in the Malcolm Brown mega thread might help.:D

tumblr_oadkazsisA1te6usvo3_540.gif

Funny but cold

Hello All,

After Superbowl 52, I had a hard time coming to terms with this loss. I know the Pats had lost before in the Superbowl but why did this one bother me so much? After taking some time to reflect, I realized that the problem is due to all the Eagles fans throwing the loss in my face. I live about 45 minutes away from Philadelphia, so you can just imagine all the news and hype. I am so sick and tired of hearing about the Eagles but I cannot seem to tune it out. Can anyone give me advice on how to get over this? It will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Nikki
I live in NYC, so I understand.

Nothing you can do but deal with it. I guess you could say something like, "The Eagles coached and played a better game. Congratulations. Now, back it up with two more in the next three seasons and then come back to gloat."

BTW, this one's a lot easier to take than the Tyree Magic Helmet Catch game and the Welker Drop game. In this case, the Coaching sucked, especially on D (41 points?), and there is still no rational explanation for why Malcolm Butler did not start. Bad day at the office.

1. Surround yourself with good people (Patriots fans).
2. Buy a dog.
3. Limit your exposure to the Captain's posts until you bond with the dog.

It's interesting how polarizing fans are when they live in a different region than their favorite team.

Let's put it this way, while I live in the Boston area I know plenty of people who are fans of other teams. And they view the Pats in one of two ways..........

1.) They root for the Pats as their 'second team' and only root against them when they play their first team.

2.) Strongly loathe the Pats.

Rarely is there ever indifference. It seems you either embrace the culture/environment and adopt the Pats as your second team or you grow to hate them (usually out of spite b/c people may give you a hard time when your team is down).

How about just taking a break from football? Walk away, enjoy life. It doesn’t help you to get over a loss when everywhere you turn you have negativity surrounding this franchise. Hell, look at the top threads right now. Go listen to a podcast. Same ol ****. Very little actual football talk. Gronk hates his coach. Brady hates his coach, loves his trainer. B.B. the GM is getting in the way of B.B. the coach....or the other way around. Depends on who you talk to. Washed up, ****ty ex-players spoutin’ some trash. Philly players talking trash. Celtics pissed it away...or fought valiantly and have a bright future ahead. Again, depends on who ya talk to.

Bottom line: This is NOT the place you wanna go to get advice on how to “get over it.” Most of this board is still trying to figure it out.

I agree 100%, but at least being here is somewhat therapeutic.

We can talk about the Pats with a group of people that take it as seriously as ourselves.

I still haven't gotten over it...I was at my neighbor's Super Bowl bash pre-gaming, Great food and drink, having a blast...Then it was 6:35, game time, I was so fired up. Had my Brady #10 black and gold Michigan throw back on. Large TV, it was loud, kickoff, let's go #6 awaits...First team defense trots on the field. As loud as it was, I turned to my buddy and said...Where's Malcolm?, WTF is going on here...what happened?...Defense gets torched early, still no Malcolm...30 of us saying, Where's Butler? He's crying on the sideline, crying...After this man literally won us our 4th 0f 5 Rings...WTF is going on here? I told my friends at half time, don't worry, BB will make his great half-time adjustments as he always does and get him in. Second half starts, no Malcolm...Again, all of us saying WTF is going on Bill?, why is this game changing player still sitting on the bench...4th quarter game getting tight, still no Malcolm...The joy and noise from earlier in the day is now worry, we all got quiet, still, no Malcolm....Last Drive, I Knew TB would deliver it for us, then Shaq Mason loses focus and TB gets strip sacked, game over...You could hear a pin drop...All of us saying to each other at the end, WTF just happened? Why was our star CB crying on the sideline? Benched...Why? We gave #6 away, gave it away, our QB throws for 505 yards and yes, we somehow still lost this game...

Last edited:
I still haven't gotten over it...I was at my neighbor's Super Bowl bash pre-gaming, Great food and drink, having a blast...Then it was 6:35, game time, I was so fired up. Had my Brady #10 black and gold Michigan throw back on. Large TV, it was loud, kickoff, let's go #6 awaits...First team defense trots on the field. As loud as it was, I turned to my buddy and said...Where's Malcolm?, WTF is going on here...what happened?...Defense gets torched early, still no Malcolm...30 of us saying, Where's Butler? He's crying on the sideline, crying...After this man literally won us our 4th 0f 5 Rings...WTF is going on here? I told my friends at half time, don't worry, BB will make his great half-time adjustments as he always does and get him in. Second half starts, no Malcolm...Again, all of us saying WTF is going on Bill?, why is this game changing player still sitting on the bench...4th quarter game getting tight, still no Malcolm...The joy and noise from earlier in the day is now worry, we all got quiet, still, no Malcolm....Last Drive, I Knew TB would deliver it for us, then Shaq Mason loses focus and TB gets strip sacked, game over...You could hear a pin drop...All of us saying to each other at the end, WTF just happened? Why was our star CB crying on the sideline? Benched...Why? We gave #6 away, gave it away, our QB throws for 505 yards and yes, we somehow still lost this game...
I'm with you all the way.
There is a simple answer, though, to your simple question, "Why?"
Belichick threw a hissy fit that had been building ever since Brady threw his (ongoing) hissy fit over Alex Guerrero's ouster from the Pats training facility (for everyone but Brady) and Kraft made him trade Garoppolo. I don't think we need PhD's in Psychology to figure that out.

Some of the whining in here is just ridiculous. Boo friggin hoo, my team lost the Super Bowl now my life sucks!! Mommie hug me! WTH people, what difference does it make how they lost it? It was a single score in a game that went down to the wire. Do you think you'd feel any better if they lost 46-10 or 35-21?
Butler this, Belichick that, Kraft...Brady...ARRRGGGHHH!!! IT'S SOOOO HARRRD!!!
Talk about Pats privilege, this is just friggin' absurd.
You know what's hard to get over? Try 1990, 1 & bleepin' 15 and a team about to move.
Our team was a national punchline, replacing the Edsel as a synonym for failure
Here's some names that actually should haunt a Pats fan:
Hugh F Millen
Rod F Rust
Victor F Kiam
Chris F Singleton

Anyone over 35 that didn't throw up in their mouth a little just reading those names is no true Pats fan.

Some of the whining in here is just ridiculous. Boo friggin hoo, my team lost the Super Bowl now my life sucks!! Mommie hug me! WTH people, what difference does it make how they lost it? It was a single score in a game that went down to the wire. Do you think you'd feel any better if they lost 46-10 or 35-21?
Butler this, Belichick that, Kraft...Brady...ARRRGGGHHH!!! IT'S SOOOO HARRRD!!!
Talk about Pats privilege, this is just friggin' absurd.
You know what's hard to get over? Try 1990, 1 & bleepin' 15 and a team about to move.
Our team was a national punchline, replacing the Edsel as a synonym for failure
Here's some names that actually should haunt a Pats fan:
Hugh F Millen
Rod F Rust
Victor F Kiam
Chris F Singleton

Anyone over 35 that didn't throw up in their mouth a little just reading those names is no true Pats fan.
Ben Dreith?

Ben Dreith?

Ben MF Dreith, may he rot in hell for all eternity, was a true douche and a mortal enemy of all Pats fans but he didn't belong on the list I made. The names I listed are all inextricably linked to the season from hell

The loss bothers me least of the three.
  • Besides some idiotic comments by a couple of Eagles players afterwards, they just were a generally likeable, gracious team respectful of the Patriots accomplishments and this was their first SB win after lots of heartbreak. They overcame a loss to their MVP front running candidate to win it all...that’s impressive. Can’t really argue the Patriots weren’t the luckier/healthier team.
  • The Eagles were good all season and a deserving Super Bowl champion.
  • Arguably the better, or at least a very comparable strong team, won the game. The point spread was bet very heavily on the Eagles, and it wasn’t that surprising for many outside NE.
  • Brady already had five rings and legacy set in stone, whereas other losses caused more anxiety about the consequences of those missed opportunities.
The two Giants losses sting way more. The 18-1 loss for reasons so obvious they don’t even need to be mentioned, although I give the ‘07 Giants credit for being a very good football club overall. The second Giants loss because the Giants were not even a worthy SB team who underachieved all year and got so many breaks and lucky bounces throughout the playoffs including that game. Plus the Gronkowski injury. Plus the Welker drop. Better team clearly lost and shot themselves in the foot. Giants seemed to have some invisible hand guiding them, and “awww shucks” Eli, the most overrated QB of all-time, probably made the Hall of Fame due to another mediocre performance with some last minute heroics. Eli’s total playoff wins outside of 2007 and 2011: zero.

Even the Giants losses sting less, even SB42, now that this Patriots dynasty has won FIVE overall and gotten at least their share of close SB wins to go along with close SB losses.

Last edited:
I'm with you all the way.
There is a simple answer, though, to your simple question, "Why?"
Belichick threw a hissy fit that had been building ever since Brady threw his (ongoing) hissy fit over Alex Guerrero's ouster from the Pats training facility (for everyone but Brady) and Kraft made him trade Garoppolo. I don't think we need PhD's in Psychology to figure that out.
If only facts didn’t exist you might have something there.

Perhaps some discussions with old Buffalo Bills fans ...
If anyone knows heartache ... it's them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case