Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do We Need An Upgrade In Defensive Play Calling?

• Yes

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • No, anyone named Belichick is the best at coaching in any role.

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
Steve or whoever, the Pats need a clearly designated and accountable DC so the players know who's in charge.
If that hasn't been the case then the question is why don't the players know who's in charge?

Family businesses always has the next generation involved. Very common. Not the same as public businesses.
Isn't coaching more easily learned than playing?

Its an interesting move. Have poll with only one seemingly valid option. The next evolution for democracy.
I agree that a poll wasn't necessary.

The point of the poll is that some believe that the kids have permanent positions, and that they are the best options. I would note that the result wasn't unanimous.

I doubt it. There are far fewer coaches than players at any given time.
Just because there are less of them doesn't mean that coaching is more difficult.

Last edited:
Actually, no better successor to Robert than a son who is highly educated and also experienced in owning an NFL team.
Once Bob passes on we can be thankful the NEP will be run by Jonathan and not some carpetbagging, unattached slimeball such as Victor Kiam or Jimmy Orthwein.

Actually, no better successor to Robert than a son who is highly educated and also experienced in owning an NFL team.
That doesnt always work.

Silver spoon Steve and Jonathan have never known hard times.

The accompanying text says that when Sheikh Rashid was once asked about the future of his country, he replied: “My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I ride a Mercedes, my son rides a Land Rover, and my grandson is going to ride a Land Rover, but my great-grandson is going to have to ride a camel again.”

‘Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times. Easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times. Many will not understand it but you have to raise warriors, not parasites.'”

This doesn't specifically apply to mg's opening post, but is more in reference to the coaching staffs of all three phases of the game.

It appeared at times this season that the Patriots were very predictable, making it easier for opponents to put their players in position to succeed against the Pats. Much of the pre-game preparation had historically been handled by Ernie Adams; that is now done by Matt Patricia.

Following a legend in his field is never easy, so it would be unrealistic to expect Matt to immediately be just as effective as Ernie. That would show up downstream, where the Pats may be predictable, or seem ill prepared to react to what an opponent was doing (such as the NE defense vs Buffalo offense in the postseason).

With that in mind, how about adding more staff to break down film and look for these tendencies - not just in regards to what an upcoming opponent is doing, but just as importantly, self-scouting in order to preemptively fix a habit or weakness that an opponent could see and exploit?

These 'Quality Control' positions are in the grand scheme of the business relatively low paying jobs, and they don't count towards the salary cap. If they result in more wins then that adds to the value of the franchise, making them a worthwhile investment. The information they uncover could be vital for an OC, DC, Special Teams Coach or any of their assistants while preparing for a game.

The nepotism angle seemed to work out OK for Kyle Shanahan and Brian Schottenheimer. Just because he is Bill’s son does not necessarily mean he can not be a great coach.

its one if the perks of being head coach for one team for over 20 years

Last edited:
Once Bob passes on we can be thankful the NEP will be run by Jonathan and not some carpetbagging, unattached slimeball such as Victor Kiam or Jimmy Orthwein.
Facts.

Don't forget the cash poor Sullivans.
Jackson 5 Stand GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

Appears I am in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing Steve go make his bones elsewhere at this point. There's issues on the defense and some of that has to fall to him. I get that "it's a player's game" but there's some culpability to whoever is in charge of it.

This doesn't specifically apply to mg's opening post, but is more in reference to the coaching staffs of all three phases of the game.

It appeared at times this season that the Patriots were very predictable, making it easier for opponents to put their players in position to succeed against the Pats. Much of the pre-game preparation had historically been handled by Ernie Adams; that is now done by Matt Patricia.

Following a legend in his field is never easy, so it would be unrealistic to expect Matt to immediately be just as effective as Ernie. That would show up downstream, where the Pats may be predictable, or seem ill prepared to react to what an opponent was doing (such as the NE defense vs Buffalo offense in the postseason).

With that in mind, how about adding more staff to break down film and look for these tendencies - not just in regards to what an upcoming opponent is doing, but just as importantly, self-scouting in order to preemptively fix a habit or weakness that an opponent could see and exploit?

These 'Quality Control' positions are in the grand scheme of the business relatively low paying jobs, and they don't count towards the salary cap. If they result in more wins then that adds to the value of the franchise, making them a worthwhile investment. The information they uncover could be vital for an OC, DC, Special Teams Coach or any of their assistants while preparing for a game.

They also were more disorganized than I can remember in recent years. Some of that is a rookie QB, who doesn't have a 100% grasp on everything in the NFL yet and also probably didn't feel he had the chops to really order guys around (at least not as much as he will as a veteran). But it was defense too, guys communicating in the secondary frantically, guys jumping offsides, Guy lining up over the center on ST, etc. Things just felt really off in the last month of the season. Not sure how much blame to put on coaching specifically, but the buck stops with them. Gotta have the guys ready to go and confident in what they're supposed to do.

I think Steve is fine, but whoever it is they need the players to KNOW who "the guy" is. Otherwise each individual is going to go to their favorite guy and you have the potential for rifts. But also, with Steve (who's first major coaching position was defensive backs), he'll be better as a DC/playcaller when there is better talent in the secondary. Injuries kind of took away a lot of the complexity and creativity he could work with by the end of the season. Can't do a lot of exotic coverages with Bryant, Ross, and Williams playing too many snaps.

The 2021 Pats had problems with the Safety position.

Youll never guess who coaches them.

If that hasn't been the case then the question is why don't the players know who's in charge?

Because command of the defense this season appeared to have been a revolving door between BB, Steve and Mayo.

The 2021 Pats had problems with the Safety position.

Youll never guess who coaches them.

I dunno, Phillips and Dugger both had good seasons, and while McCourty may have lost a step, he wasn't BAD. I think their secondary problems had more to do with depth at CB.

Facts.

Don't forget the cash poor Sullivans.
Jackson 5 Stand GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

Appears I am in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing Steve go make his bones elsewhere at this point. There's issues on the defense and some of that has to fall to him. I get that "it's a player's game" but there's some culpability to whoever is in charge of it.
I have a love/hate relationship with the Sullivans.

I admire/appreciate the early sacrifices and financial risk Billy Sullivan took in founding/keeping the NEP afloat but he gave way too much latitude to his buffoon son Chuck who was primarily responsible for the club's frugal (see el cheapo) attitude towards players and pathetic business acumen.

That is Jonathan's strength.

Last edited:
Isn't coaching more easily learned than playing?

No. As a player you focus foremost on your own responsibility, a coach must be an expert on everyone's responsibilities and how they all fit together.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back