Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do We Need An Upgrade In Defensive Play Calling?

• Yes

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • No, anyone named Belichick is the best at coaching in any role.

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Do we need an upgrade in defensive play-calling?

Steve or whoever, the Pats need a clearly designated and accountable DC so the players know who's in charge.

Pretty good to be #2 in points given up despite disaster players in Godchaux and Bentley and Jon Jones and Mills out.

Our defense arguably overachieved this year with a thin secondary and mediocre linebackers. I don't think the problem is coaching.

I don’t think it’sa good look for his kid to be on the staff…

idc if other ppl have done it it’s still lame

It’s a hard topic to make judgement about. Did we ever really know how much control Steve Belichick had over the defense? Was he really calling all of the plays or was Bill the guiding hand the entire time?

The narrative seemed to flip flop. When we were off to a bad start it was supposedly Steve calling the shots, when we were on a winning streak it was Bill being fully in control, then we start playing poorly and it was all Steve’s fault again. Unless a player has spoken about it or there was inside information it’s hard to know how much blame needs to go on Steve or Bill.

The nepotism aspect is definitely a legit concern if Steve isn’t very good at his job though. But I don’t like to rake him over the coals when, for half the season, we were saying Bill had taken full control of the defense.

You're talking about a franchise that has Bob Kraft's kid?

It's a decent enough topic for a thread, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with those poll options.
Its an interesting move. Have poll with only one seemingly valid option. The next evolution for democracy.

Last edited:
It was actually a great DC coaching season to only give up 16 pts a game with complete garbage in Godchaux, Bentley, SloJuan, and Jon Jones and Mills out.

On the other hand, it was a mediocre OC season to have so much talent (including huge contracts) and so badly under-utilize Onwenu, Agholor, and Jonnu Smith.

If he wants to have a future career in coaching, he really should leave. Same reasons you don’t hire friends/family to work for you. If they do poorly, they’re only there because of you. If you come down on them the same as you would anyone else, you’re not really holding them accountable enough because of the relationship. If they do well and get promoted, once again it’s because of you and your connection with them. No matter how he does, he will never truly get a fair shake.

If he wants to have a future career in coaching, he really should leave. Same reasons you don’t hire friends/family to work for you. If they do poorly, they’re only there because of you. If you come down on them the same as you would anyone else, you’re not really holding them accountable enough because of the relationship. If they do well and get promoted, once again it’s because of you and your connection with them. No matter how he does, he will never truly get a fair shake.

Someone tell that to Jonathan Kraft

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back