Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do We Need An Upgrade In Defensive Play Calling?

• Yes

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • No, anyone named Belichick is the best at coaching in any role.

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
Any NFL stat sites out there that have 'average yards gained on 1st down vs NE's D'?

Seems to me opponents faced 2nd and short vs NE's D more often than not.

Would make a lot of sense since their run defensive personnel this year was horsesh-t. Opposing OLines must be giddy realizing they're going to kick Godchaux's a-s every week.

Id move him to special teams coordinator

Would make a lot of sense since their run defensive personnel this year was horsesh-t. Opposing OLines must be giddy realizing they're going to kick Godchaux's a-s every week.
Been like this the past 3 yrs .. can you say byron cowart

Any NFL stat sites out there that have 'average yards gained on 1st down vs NE's D'?

Seems to me opponents faced 2nd and short vs NE's D more often than not.
5.39 yards per rush (slightly better than the league average of 5.44), 6.9 yards per pass attempt (better than the league average of 7.4).

Opposing teams did have shorter second downs than average (7.31 to 7.72), but I believe that's largely because the Patriots had a low first down sack rate (they made up for it on second down) and that fewer first downs led directly to new first downs.

Agree. Just like several other things that are a-s backwards on the franchise (wasting Onwenu, misusing Agholor, Jonnu), the offense and defense are being framed incorrectly. The defense has a personnel problem at CB, NT, ILB. Not a DC problem. Conveesely the offense has plenty of good players but a stale OC problem and misused good players.

So you think the problem is the OC? That’s good to know. Very helpful.

5.39 yards per rush (slightly better than the league average of 5.44), 6.9 yards per pass attempt (better than the league average of 7.4).

Opposing teams did have shorter second downs than average (7.31 to 7.72), but I believe that's largely because the Patriots had a low first down sack rate (they made up for it on second down) and that fewer first downs led directly to new first downs.

Thanks

Yikes.....
Dallas gained 14 1st downs on 1st down vs NE
Dallas had 44 1st down plays vs NE

Regarding the Krafts, that's a false flag argument. There isn't a large enough network of NFL management jobs available to the kids of owners for this principle to apply. Unless two owner decide to "trade kids" for a few years, which would be very smart, but difficult because of the numbers.

Well, organized crime families used to do this, right?

Phillips, McCourty and Dugger had very good years.

The personnel at safety was not the problem.

You are reading into DMCs comments that there was a coaching issue. He may be saying that. Then again he may not.

If you want to complain about other things then fine.

Run defense is a team problem. Not a specific safety problem.
272660651_10228196919167943_5739192867201964217_n.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing Steve go make his bones elsewhere at this point

if Steve B wants to have a legitimate football coaching career, and fill in the "doesn't know what he doesn't know" gap, he is overdue moving to another organization and proving he can do it under normal circumstances.

Smart business owners do this with their kids, even if they want them to be their successors. "Go work somewhere else for a decade or so, then we'll talk about you coming back. Learn what your Dad can't teach you
This is a tricky one. From an optics standpoint, absolutely. If Steve had success elsewhere, it would help build his credibility, because he would have done well away from Dad.

But having said that, this is a unique situation. Bill Belichick is one of the best coaches of all time, and there are a lot of mediocre coaches out there. What better way for Steve to learn and to grow than with the Patriots? Going somewhere else just to go somewhere else doesn't seem smart necessarily. But it would look better maybe. Tough one.

This is a tricky one. From an optics standpoint, absolutely. If Steve had success elsewhere, it would help build his credibility, because he would have done well away from Dad.

But having said that, this is a unique situation. Bill Belichick is one of the best coaches of all time, and there are a lot of mediocre coaches out there. What better way for Steve to learn and to grow than with the Patriots? Going somewhere else just to go somewhere else doesn't seem smart necessarily. But it would look better maybe. Tough one.

At this point, I think there's more to learn elsewhere. Go work for Saban or Smart, or one of the NFL's best up and coming offensive minds.

I don't agree with him. That's not how it works.

OCs/DCs are the lead on game days. BB is the lead on game plan and has final say on everything.

To suggest otherwise is wrong. It's always been that way.

I don't agree with him. That's not how it works.

OCs/DCs are the lead on game days. BB is the lead on game plan and has final say on everything.

To suggest otherwise is wrong. It's always been that way.
I find that Lazar is right more often than wrong. Not saying he's either in this case, however. The only way we know for sure is when someone like Mike Holley writes a book on what goes on inside the bunker. But to your point, the buck stops with Bill always.

I find that Lazar is right more often than wrong. Not saying he's either in this case, however. The only way we know for sure is when someone like Mike Holley writes a book on what goes on inside the bunker. But to your point, the buck stops with Bill always.
Yep. It absolutely starts and stops with Bill.

The habit of blaming FO personnel, coordinators and position coaches and not BB is moronic.

This is a brilliant train of thought. Let's deliberately piss off the goat HC so that the Pats can immediately nose-dive (huge explosion) with the Ace and Gary tandem of Ziegler and McD.

Greg Bedard reported the same in “Boston Sports Journal”.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back