PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers +4.5 at Chiefs -who you like? Bye-week implications?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who you like (straight up)?

• Squeelers

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Chefs

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Tie game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Steelers +4.5 at Chiefs -who you like? Bye-week implications?

So, to me the most intriguing matchup this weekend is the squeelers visiting the cook schoolhouse (chefs). Jete week great for the suck thread; but this game actually has some competitive balance and IMPLICATIONs for the Patriots at year end.

Can Reid keep em rolling without [Peters -oops] [ Berry ] or can Brown -Rapistburger get their act together and stand up for the anthem -not end half their possessions in turnovers.

Me personally, I don't think squeelers pull it together, even if I would like to see Pats get a little ground back on the HFA/ bye week chase. The anthem thing just seemed to have really exposed some underlying personality issues. And not sure how you can throw 5 ints and come out next week and be perfect. I think they only need 200+ pass yds but no picks to win. And I don't think he can do that (no picks) against a decent defense anymore.

But I am interested to hear other takes. Couple of Extra thoughts from Prisco and wagner-mcgough below.

. PRISCO:
Steelers +4.5 at Chiefs
The Steelers beat the Chiefs twice last season, once at home and once at Arrowhead in the playoffs. Even though the Chiefs are playing good football, they have some defensive issues. I think Ben Roethlisberger will get back on track here and the Steelers will keep it close -- and could pull off the upset. Take the points.

How the Steelers' slumping offense can get back on track against the Chiefs

CBSSPORTS: . . .
It's time for the Steelers to hope for another Bell special. Look for the Steelers to run left. According to PFF, the Chiefs are allowing 4.9 yards per carry on runs to the outside of the left tackle, 5.5 yards per carry on runs behind the left tackle, 4.7 yards per carry on runs behind the left guard, and 5.6 yards per carry between the left guard and center.

Oh and one more thing: The Steelers' defense is currently ranked fifth in DVOA. This year's Steelers team doesn't need to go out and score 30 points a game like in years past. They can run the ball, control the clock, score somewhere around 21 points and still win.

Last edited:
Big Ben has been a problem on the road past few years, I wouldn’t bet on him coming up big against an elite team on the road. He wasn’t good in the playoff game they won there.

I don't trust the Steelers to get the job done, but I'd love it if they did. Since last year, Roethlisberger is generally terrible on the road, and Arrowhead is a tough place to play. That said, I expect the Chiefs to come down to earth at some point.

If I HAD to predict, I'm saying Chiefs 30 - Steelers 17...but I want to be very wrong.

I expect the Chiefs to murder the Steelers; Roethlisberger much be totally done now, but he was done as a QB who could go on the road and beat good teams like 3 years ago. We've got 3 games to make up if we want the top seed, though, so if the Chiefs could start losing soon that would be great.

I also don't trust any of the Steelers' WRs after Brown, who I assume will be covered by Peters. Bryant hasn't done anything this year, Rogers is a nice role player, Schuster-Smith is okay but nothing special, DHB is basically a JAG. The best way to attack the Chiefs' D is with depth at WR to exploit their lack of it in the secondary, and the Steelers don't really have the personnel to do it unless Bryant belatedly decides to show up for the season.

At the core of it, the Steelers are a bad football team going on the road to play a good team in a notoriously tough stadium.

Last edited:
If the Chefs can mount an aggressive pass rush, like the Jags did, then Roethlishelmet is going to be in a world of hurt.

There is absolutely no reason to think the Steelers will be able to keep this within 4.5 points. Forget beat the Chiefs. So with that said.... I am predicting the Steelers to not just to beat the spread but win the game.

I just look at the Chiefs and think.... 5-0? Smith having an MVP year? Hunt on pace to break records (not just for rookies but all time maybe... only a projected 29 total yard behind the all time YFS leader in a single year)? Alex Smith 0 ints in 5 games? In fact the team has only 1 turnover in 5 games.

I just look at them and think it won't keep up. They will have to sputter somewhere.

Last edited:
FWIW, the +4.5/-4.5 line appears to be the comfort zone for Vegas oddsmakers. Several books started out at KCY -3.5 or even -3, but quickly raised that to the -4/-4.5 range. A couple of places went to KCY -5, but settled back to -4.5 yesterday.

My take is that Vegas thinks the Chiefs will win, but that it'll be relatively close.

I'd love for the Steelers to win (if the Pats can beat them later), and that may very well be possible.

I like the Steelers......to cover the +4.5...since you posted it in the thread title.
They may even win outright. It'll be FG game either way.

There is absolutely no reason to think the Steelers will be able to keep this within 4.5 points. Forget beat the Chiefs. So with that said.... I am predicting the Steelers to not just to beat the spread but win the game.

Sounds like someone with experience gambling on football. Reminds me of the line in the Patton movie. Paraphrasing - there is no reason to expect the Germans to mount a major attack, therefore, I think that's exactly what they'll do.

Great movie if you haven't seen it.

As bad as Ben and the Steelers have looked, I have to go with the Queefs. Especially at home. It may even be a blowout.

On the one hand I really don't think the Chiefs are all that good. Very overrated this year. On the other hand Big Ben looks like he has fallen off a cliff. Brown is a nutcase as is Bell, and after Ben's talk of retirement I'm not sure how much his teammates are really behind him. With all of this going on you have a lightweight coach like Tomlin trying to reign them all in? That team has to be a mess, mentally and the lockeroom toxic. Everything points to a KC blowout. But like I said, I think KC is overrated. I wouldn't be shocked to see them lay an egg.

I bet on sports semi professionally. If I had to bet I would take KC. Luckily, I don't have to. I'm not touching this game.

Lol do you guys know how bad Ben is Steelers stand no chance

On the one hand I really don't think the Chiefs are all that good. Very overrated this year. On the other hand Big Ben looks like he has fallen off a cliff. Brown is a nutcase as is Bell, and after Ben's talk of retirement I'm not sure how much his teammates are really behind him. With all of this going on you have a lightweight coach like Tomlin trying to reign them all in? That team has to be a mess, mentally and the lockeroom toxic. Everything points to a KC blowout. But like I said, I think KC is overrated. I wouldn't be shocked to see them lay an egg.

I bet on sports semi professionally. If I had to bet I would take KC. Luckily, I don't have to. I'm not touching this game.
KC is not overrated. I do not care for them but they are good. (I almost clicked the disagree button. I have not done that in years.)

It's a win win for us whomever wins. If the Steelers lose, it will leave them behind us for the 2 seed, imo. If they win, the Pats will be closer to catching KC.

Last edited:
Roethlisberger doesn't have it anymore. He said so himself. Cheeves got this.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back