PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stay or Go? 2023 edition

Surprised at the folks wanting to dump Reagor. Anyone watch the last game? He’s getting better with playing time and the raw talent is undeniable.

As a returner and as a WR. He won’t cost much.

Keep him. He’s way better than Thornton.
I would be fine with it. A full offseason in the system probably helps a lot.

Stay
Henry
Bourne
Myles Bryant
Dugger
Mack Wilson
Jennings
Onwenu

Go
Trent Brown
Mills
Ferentz

Don't Care
Reagor
Pharoah Brown
Zeke
Gesicki
Uche

Retire
Slater
Pharoah Brown has been good in spots but I haven't really seen much of his run blocking.

If there's a new HC, I think most of them will be gone. Onwenu will probably be Franchised.

Uche and Jennings may want to leave. Dugger can be replaced by Peppers.

Henry may bolt to a better situation where a TE is needed. Gesicki has a better chance of returning.

Bourne goes to Miami.
Dugger and peppers both play almost 100% of the snaps. How does one replace the other?

I would be fine with it. A full offseason in the system probably helps a lot.
Raegor has had many full offseason as in many systems and has never become more than a bench guy who plays if you have injuries. But a good ko returner. He’s a vet min guy competing for a job in camp

Raegor has had many full offseason as in many systems and has never become more than a bench guy who plays if you have injuries. But a good ko returner. He’s a vet min guy competing for a job in camp
Yeah, good camp competition and maybe he can earn a roster spot, or maybe not. Probably better than Thornton… Depends on what offensive staff is here and what they want to do.

Dugger and peppers both play almost 100% of the snaps. How does one replace the other?
Peppers has the physicality to go to SS or at worst case Adrian Phillips returns to the field. If there's a new HC, they could move Mapu to LB full time.

Henry - Resign, we don't want to look under rocks for a TE in the off-season.

Trent Brown - I am OK with another incentive laden deal if he can't drum up a market.

Bourne - Resign, but add some protection in case he can't be 100% in week 1.

Gesicki - Am OK with resigning him if we would actually use him.

Mills - Resign. We need a multi-position back up at S/CB.

Zeke - Resign if we can come to reasonable terms.

Slater - Think he retires, but would be happy to have him back.

Myles Bryant - Good to have for DB depth.

Dugger - Think he is a goner...$$$.

Mack Wilson - Improved this year. Would like to have back.

Uche - Think he is a goner if he drums up a big market.

Jennings - Want him back. Should be one of our top 5 priorities, IMO.

Pharoah Brown - Would like him back.

Ferentz - Turn him into a coach? Can't be worse than Klemm, no?

Reagor - Bring him back to compete with Thornton.

Onwenu - Franchise him and hope we work out a long term deal.

Peppers has the physicality to go to SS or at worst case Adrian Phillips returns to the field. If there's a new HC, they could move Mapu to LB full time.
There are 2 starting S. You can’t replace one with the other. So you are replacing Dugger with Phillips, who seems pretty much cooked at this point.
Not sure how a LB move addresses starting S.

Henry - Stay
Trent Brown - Go
Bourne - Stay, depending on the contract
Gesicki - Go
Mills - Go
Zeke - Stay
Slater - Stay (but I think he'll retire)
Myles Bryant- Stay
Dugger - Go, but only if they're retaining Peppers. I'd like to see a natural deep safety take his spot if possible.
Mack Wilson - Stay
Uche - Go
Jennings - Stay
Pharoah Brown - Stay, but still draft a kid and let them compete
Ferentz - Stay... as a coach.
Reagor - Either way. Having a guy who competes for 5th WR and can return kicks isn't the worst use of a camp spot
Onwenu - Stay

EDIT: Side note, when you type the word "stay" too many times it starts to look funny.

Henry- keep
Trent Brown - gone
Bourne- keep
Gesicki - gone
Mills - keep if cheap and you’re actually gonna use him
Zeke - keep at similar price
Slater - retire. Happy to keep otherwise
Myles Bryant - keep if in the $5m range or lower
Dugger - probably let go. Extend peppers
Mack Wilson - keeP
Uche - let go unless a cheap prove it deal, his market cant be great after this season
Jennings - keep
Pharoah Brown - keep
Ferentz - LOL
Reagor - i like him but let go. no room for him with upgrades needed here
Onwenu - keep, should be priority. Prepare to be disappointed though if bb is handling things

Henry - Stay
Trent Brown - GTFO
Bourne - Stay
Gesicki - Stay for right $
Mills - Don't care
Zeke - Stay for right $
Slater - The red jacket room awaits
Myles Bryant - For cheap, yes
Dugger - Stay for right $
Mack Wilson - Stay for right $
Uche -Stay for right $
Jennings - Stay
Pharoah Brown - Stay

Ferentz -For cheap, yes
Reagor - For cheap, yes
Onwenu - Stay

Only five locks from me. The rest would have to stay for cheap or reasonable money. Trent Brown can ride a surface-to-air missile outta here.

Only thing I would change is put the tag on Onwenu. He is a must keep.

The teams should prioritize based on the makeup of the roster and how many other free agents are available at their respective positions.

The fact that Trent Brown is considered by some to be the top OT free agent - and how sad the OL is overall - Onwenu should be the top priority. It would be nice to sign a FA OT and also draft an OT early, allowing the Pats to move Onwenu back to guard.

With both Henry and Gesicki about to become free agents, they need to re-sign at least one TE, preferably Henry.

WR is another position in need of upgrades. Don't make that task more difficult by letting Bourne walk. All you have to do is look and see what happened with the inability to re-sign Jakobi Myers results in a bad situation becoming worse.

Next would be Kyle Dugger. He is a good player and I certainly hope the Pats can re-sign him, but to me he is only priority #4. Uche would be #5, a lower priority.

With so many holes to fill, don't make the reclamation even more difficult than it already is. The Patriots have cap space to make some quality upgrades. If they can pull that off then thaey could avoid having to reach in the draft due to a dire need at a position.

Patriots UFA's this winter:

Henry
Trent Brown
Bourne
Gesicki
Mills
Zeke
Slater
Myles Bryant
Dugger
Mack Wilson
Uche
Jennings
Pharoah Brown
Ferentz
Reagor
Onwenu

Think that's all of them.
Going down the list:

Henry - either he or Gesicki, not both-prefer Henry
T Brown - bye
Bourne - stay
Gesicki - see Henry note above
Millls - stay for right price
Zeke - stay on 2 yr deal
Slater - he’ll retire
Bryant - see Mills above; much improved this year
Duggar - stay, but not on a mega deal
Wilson - stay
Uche - bye, only shows up every 3-4 games
Jennings - stay, great against the run
P Brown - stay
Ferentz- bye for good
Reagor - bye
Onwenu - stay, give him the money

Last edited:
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Sweet Baby Jesus Please Stay
- Onwenu

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

Solid Starters That Would Be Nice To Have Back
- Henry
- Dugger
- Jennings

phd student school GIF

Yes Please If The Money Is Right
- Bourne
- Elliott
- Wilson
- Bryant

50 50 Abc GIF by The Bachelor

- Gesicki
- Slater (whatever he wants to do is fine with me)

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

- Mills
- P. Brown
- Reagor

go away gtfo GIF

- T. Brown
- Ferentz

The teams should prioritize based on the makeup of the roster and how many other free agents are available at their respective positions.

The fact that Trent Brown is considered by some to be the top OT free agent - and how sad the OL is overall - Onwenu should be the top priority. It would be nice to sign a FA OT and also draft an OT early, allowing the Pats to move Onwenu back to guard.

With both Henry and Gesicki about to become free agents, they need to re-sign at least one TE, preferably Henry.

WR is another position in need of upgrades. Don't make that task more difficult by letting Bourne walk. All you have to do is look and see what happened with the inability to re-sign Jakobi Myers results in a bad situation becoming worse.

Next would be Kyle Dugger. He is a good player and I certainly hope the Pats can re-sign him, but to me he is only priority #4. Uche would be #5, a lower priority.

With so many holes to fill, don't make the reclamation even more difficult than it already is. The Patriots have cap space to make some quality upgrades. If they can pull that off then thaey could avoid having to reach in the draft due to a dire need at a position.
Sadly it looks like FA is not turning out marquee agents. So better to retain the decent ones that you have and make mid season signing when a marquee player becomes available.

Keep

Onwenu - FT and long term trade
Henry - 8 - 12 million AAV
Bourne - 6-9 million
Jennings- 6 million
Bryant- 3-4
Wilson - 3 million Aav
P brown - 2 - 3
Zeke - 3-5 million aav
Wade - vet minimum
Reagor - vet minimum and can be camp competition with Thornton.

Conditional

Dugger- If available at Hometown discount.
Gesicki - if Henry does not resign with us sign for another 1 year 3- 4 million aav .

Rest all

Can go or retire

There are 2 starting S. You can’t replace one with the other. So you are replacing Dugger with Phillips, who seems pretty much cooked at this point.
Not sure how a LB move addresses starting S.
One way or another, the Pats may have a vacancy at S as Dugger has put together enough tape to get a favorable contract in FA.

One way or another, the Pats may have a vacancy at S as Dugger has put together enough tape to get a favorable contract in FA.
So why wouldn’t the patriots pay him?
That’s not really the point we were discussing though.
You said let him go because Peppers can take his place.

If he goes we need a safety to replace him (or I guess to replace peppers because you think he replace Duggar somehow) so having a replacement isn’t part of the decision, it create a hole if he leaves.

Sadly it looks like FA is not turning out marquee agents. So better to retain the decent ones that you have and make mid season signing when a marquee player becomes available.

Keep

Onwenu - FT and long term trade
Henry - 8 - 12 million AAV
Bourne - 6-9 million
Jennings- 6 million
Bryant- 3-4
Wilson - 3 million Aav
P brown - 2 - 3
Zeke - 3-5 million aav
Wade - vet minimum
Reagor - vet minimum and can be camp competition with Thornton.

Conditional

Dugger- If available at Hometown discount.
Gesicki - if Henry does not resign with us sign for another 1 year 3- 4 million aav .

Rest all

Can go or retire
More money than I would want to pay Henry and Bourne. I would keep Dugger if the money wasn't crazy. Other than that. Good Job.

The only one I feel strongly about is Onwenu. The rest can stay or go.
And I think Thornton will be cut or Traded for 7th Round conditional in TC.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back