PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spagnuoulo: Pats cheated in SB XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so what if they knew the signals? Signal stealing wasn't/isn't illegal. Big deal
People who claim that the Pats earlier SBs are somehow tainted because of taping or signals or whatever obviously don’t know that the rule didn’t even go into effect until what? 2006-2007? Pretty sure that was the 2004 season.

And that was just taping from a certain location. Anyone can still tape today, just not from the sidelines.
It just shows their football ignorance.

Philly has two sports stations: 94.1 (WIP) and 97.5. Both are filled with hot heads that 100% believe the Pats cheated them out of glory.

WIP is famous for 1) leading the booing at draft day of McNabb and 2) putting on the wing-bowl. The wing-bowl is the probably the greatest morning of debauchery in the history of all mankind. Really. The crowd at the WWE Royal rumble had a big chant of **** Brady. Can't wait to see what they do at the wing-bowl.

Wouldn't they blow teams out if any of this was remotely true? Also, if you knew your signals were compromised, why would you continue using them?

Having a team's signals, doesn't mean you broke their code illegally.

Also, if the playubook was stolen, it doesn't mean you know which plays will be run.

Anyone can see what plays a team runs just by watching hours of game film.

Basically, people are jealous of BB, Adams and Brady's photographic memories.

All this stuff is so easily debunkable...If I am a Pats employee, I am making a t-shirt with this quote on the front and back of it and just walking around Minneapolis with this on:

2010:
Bill Cowher: “You know, let me just say this: To answer your question, no, I don’t think so (it’s not an advantage for one team over another).
I just know as a head coach, you are always looking for a competitive edge. We had people out there trying to look at signals. We had guys go to games. They would tape the signal caller and also write it down. They would take it back and match up the signals with the game film and certain defenses with certain plays that were being called, particularly the defenses being called, to see if we could come up with some kind of an alert for a signal. So, what they did with videotaping the signal caller, people do it with the people in the stands!!
These people sitting there in the stands, looking at the signal, writing it down and matching up the 1st and 10 signal. Ok? Then you go back again and the 2nd and 10 and here’s the signal. You do that for a whole game.
You then go back and match up the defenses with the signal. And you can come up with what the signal was.
So, you don;’t need a video tape with what they were talking about doing. And people were doing it. WE were doing that. Everybody does that. You’re TRYING to gain a competitive edge. There is nothing wrong with that.
That’s why baseball players go through the mirage of signals. They’ve got all these different codes. That’s part of the competitive spirit of the game. I think it’s totally overblown. I think if you get caught (signals compromised), then do what we did and go to wristbands, you are worried about it. We started putting defenses on wristbands. Then you find a way to not get caught (signals compromised). When your good at something and people try steal from ya, I think it’s flattering.”

^^^Cowher cheated in SB 30 and 40. Asterisks must be applied to the Steelers, with almost daily reports and stories on the topic.

If the Eagles didn't change their signals going into the Super Bowl then that's on them. Even the dumbest of haters have mostly acknowledged that signal-stealing is an accepted and legal part of the game. Even Cowher and Dungy openly acknowledge that, and they represent the two fanbases that hate us the most over it.

Also, wasn't that a Jim Johnson defense? If you assumed they were blitzing on every snap you'd be right about 80% of the time. He was never exactly known for disguising his intentions.

@Tunescribe what do you think about this one? Do we have our media-created controversy?
Actually, right now the WEEI Reimer dis of five-year-old Vivian Brady is getting a lot of traction. Spagnuolo is a nobody, he's just bitter he didn't get the Giants HC job.

I think right now there are no major distractions, no real bombs dropped -- yet. Just a bunch of small agitations. But they seem to be trying on both the national and local media levels.

Spags has always been a jealous hater. He seems like a guy that doesn't like the pats just like the rest of the country.

Old news. Brady's response the first time around was great, something like, "Of COURSE we knew they were blitzing. It's what Jim Johnson does. It was all over the film."

Regards,
Chris

What's funny is, Jim Johnson (great coordinator) was the guy who had the blueprint that Spagnuolo used against the Pats in SB 42. Sucks that the Pats were't smarter about running the ball more and NOT subbing the backs on and off based on the play, but whatever....

The difference here is, I don't get the impression Johnson waas accusing NE of anything at that time, other than "we need to change our indicator for the signals)...

Only now, is Spagnuolo using the ammo to troll.

This is what I mean about how, not only are the Pats in everyone's heads, but lies can easily be propagated further if people are allowed to go on unaccountable in media print.

Much of Deflategate's lies are rooted in Spygate, for example.

Funny.

Each site I go to that has official and unofficial winners of the SBs still has the Patriots listed. I'm good.

What's funny is, Jim Johnson (great coordinator) was the guy who had the blueprint that Spagnuolo used against the Pats in SB 42. Sucks that the Pats were't smarter about running the ball more and NOT subbing the backs on and off based on the play, but whatever....

The difference here is, I don't get the impression Johnson waas accusing NE of anything at that time, other than "we need to change our indicator for the signals)...

Only now, is Spagnuolo using the ammo to troll.

This is what I mean about how, not only are the Pats in everyone's heads, but lies can easily be propagated further if people are allowed to go on unaccountable in media print.

Much of Deflategate's lies are rooted in Spygate, for example.

Spags didn't invent the blueprint to stop the 07 Pats.

It was Romeo Crennell. :( Spags gave him and the Browns credit for it and the Giants executed it better.

He didn't say they cheated. Only that the Patriots knew their what they were doing. (they knew when we were bringing pressure)

Of course the insinuation is that the Pats gained this knowledge from illegal videotape or whatever. But he didn't actually say that, unlike that moron Jon Ritchie.
He may as well have said they cheated. That was the conclusion he hoped for.

Last edited:
Philly has two sports stations: 94.1 (WIP) and 97.5. Both are filled with hot heads that 100% believe the Pats cheated them out of glory.

WIP is famous for 1) leading the booing at draft day of McNabb and 2) putting on the wing-bowl. The wing-bowl is the probably the greatest morning of debauchery in the history of all mankind. Really. The crowd at the WWE Royal rumble had a big chant of **** Brady. Can't wait to see what they do at the wing-bowl.
I listened to wip all the time when I lived dine there 20 years ago. Hilarious radio, especially for an outsider

Spags didn't invent the blueprint to stop the 07 Pats.

It was Romeo Crennell. :( Spags gave him and the Browns credit for it and the Giants executed it better.

Ok?

Source?

Of course nobody remembers that what really threw the Eagles off in the SB was that the Pats came out in a 2-5 defense instead of a 3-4 or a 4-3, and the comment at the time was that there was no film on this defensive alignment as the Pats had never run it before during that ENTIRE season. So you see, THIS is really what SS is complaining about - the Pats changed things up and confused Donovan McNabb, while he went with the same old, same old and didn't confuse Tom Brady. And yet, the game was still close. Let's hope the Pats have improved on their "signal stealing" this time around.

I haven't looked up a link, but I do recall this, FWIW.

Regards,
Chris

Surprised I've never seen it. Just curious to read it.

Pats dropped 34 on Crennel's D that year. At least, Philly, with a crap QB, hung with NE deep into the 4th qtr that year.

I remember Lito Sheppard having a nice game.

if they went into the Super Bowl without a new set of signs then they are morons. Even my daughters 12u travel softball team would need new signs every game. Same goes for the video taping ********, it is meaningless if the lazy bastards put a little work into that part of their game.
The Sb was 2/05. We last played the eagles on 9/03. The eagles played 32 games in between.
If they kept the same signals for 29 months and 32 games they deserve to have the other team know them.

I haven't looked up a link, but I do recall this, FWIW.

Regards,
Chris

Yes it was an article. I'm trying to find it. It basically said that even though the Eagles and Ravens played us tough - it wasn't those games that got the Giants attention. It was the Browns game.

To think it was Romeo who designed the blueprint for such a historic loss. :(

I love how football is seen as a miniature war game similar to red vs blue, but we get crucified for doing war like **** such as playing mind games, intercepting signals, keeping everything secretive. Tom Brady is even on a super soldier regimen. No normal person would choose avocado ice cream over regular ice cream lol.

It's always interesting to me how many of these area guys (Spagnuolo, born in Whitinsville, raised in Grafton) go outside of NE and become jealous babies.
They weren't good enough to deserve a 45 minute commute so their hate masks their insecurity.

Yes it was an article. I'm trying to find it. It basically said that even though the Eagles and Ravens played us tough - it wasn't those games that got the Giants attention. It was the Browns game.

To think it was Romeo who designed the blueprint for such a historic loss. :(

I would loved it if NE dropped 34 on the Giants in SB 42 or SB 46.

Last edited:
The Sb was 2/05. We last played the eagles on 9/03. The eagles played 32 games in between.
If they kept the same signals for 29 months and 32 games they deserve to have the other team know them.

I believe we played them in the 2004 preseason, but your point still stands.

NE blew out Philly 24-6 in that preseason.

They must have had their signals stolen during summer camp! Wow!

Guys were hanging off of tree limbs with two camcorders going at once! It's true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents