PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sort of OT: MLB Covid outbreak- season might be in jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

NFL doesn’t have a bubble either. Only took 1 week for the baseball season to be in trouble. I can’t see how the NFL is going to do this. :(

Baseball will prove to some people that everyone needs to shut down, which includes sports, conventions, beaches and clubs.

Yeah, there's no way any of these pro leagues can play a full schedule in this country at this current time. The way the virus has been handled here, by the government/leadership and large segments of the population is nothing short of embarrassing. Think of how stupid the average
̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ American is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Yeah, there's no way any of these pro leagues can play a full schedule in this country at this current time. The way the virus has been handled here, by the government/leadership and large segments of the population is nothing short of embarrassing. Think of how stupid the average
̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ American is, and realize half of them are stupider than that

and you know what is worse? they are allowed to vote:D

Baseball will prove to some people that everyone needs to shut down, which includes sports, conventions, beaches and clubs.
I’m not so sure baseball, a declining sport mostly appealing to Gen X and Boomers, is going to be some sort of wake up call for 20 30 somethings going out to beaches and clubs.

Also: there’s no way they could have planned restarting without expecting something like this to happen. If they don’t have contingency plans for this kind of situation, that is a major failure on baseball’s part.

You knew that it would be due to...

Flor-i-DUH

wait until schools restart

I remain quite comfortable in my position of no NFL season.

it can’t be done safely.

For baseball, I don't think this is a bigger deal than a regular "rain delay".

For football, this would be bad...it is harder to reschedule a football game than a baseball (doubleheaders, yo!).

More likely...if this happens this year...a team will have to play without some players vs. the game being rescheduled. I am reading that this is completely up to the Commissioner's discretion.......

It is what it is....

But our schools and kids will be fine. What could possibly go wrong there?

I remain quite comfortable in my position of no NFL season.

it can’t be done safely.

Is this the year the NFL turns into flag football?

Between concussions and now COVID 19, you know the game is going to evolve drastically. COVID just might expedite the process.

**Then again, somehow boxing still exists. I would have figured that would be banned by now.

For baseball, I don't think this is a bigger deal than a regular "rain delay".

For football, this would be bad...it is harder to reschedule a football game than a baseball (doubleheaders, yo!).

More likely...if this happens this year...a team will have to play without some players vs. the game being rescheduled. I am reading that this is completely up to the Commissioner's discretion.......

It is what it is....
It's a rain delay if the forecast is rain for the next 500 days.

It's a rain delay if the forecast is rain for the next 500 days.

Maybe...while COVID-19 has the potential to wipe out a team for up to 14 days....there is the possibly that re-infection isn't likely to happen. So, it would be like a 14 day rain delay...followed by 20-21 days of double headers....

Maybe...while COVID-19 has the potential to wipe out a team for up to 14 days....there is the possibly that re-infection isn't likely to happen. So, it would be like a 14 day rain delay...followed by 20-21 days of double headers....

Only if the entire team and staff tested positive on the same day.

I’m not so sure baseball, a declining sport mostly appealing to Gen X and Boomers, is going to be some sort of wake up call for 20 30 somethings going out to beaches and clubs.

Also: there’s no way they could have planned restarting without expecting something like this to happen. If they don’t have contingency plans for this kind of situation, that is a major failure on baseball’s part.
What kind of contingency covers half a team being wiped out in a day? In the NFL where every game has such incredible importance, what contingency covers Mahomes suddenly being take out by the virus? Or three quarters of an offensive line?

I really want there to be a season, but I've always been dubious that they'd get away with it.

d%#*!@t, I might have to give in and buy Madden 21 if they cancel the NFL season. SmhFB_IMG_1592673619530.jpg

What kind of contingency covers half a team being wiped out in a day? In the NFL where every game has such incredible importance, what contingency covers Mahomes suddenly being take out by the virus? Or three quarters of an offensive line?

FWIW, the NFL has long had a plan that allows for mass activation of a team's practice squad in the case of a communicable disease outbreak.

Adding fuel to the fire:

FWIW, the NFL has long had a plan that allows for mass activation of a team's practice squad in the case of a communicable disease outbreak.

Sure, there are ways. But what does that do to a contender? I mean, this all is weird enough that the JETS could be the last team standing. Well, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes