PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Needs Can Be Met After The Draft If Necessary

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some needs can be met by acquisitions after the draft, if necessary.

As usual, Belichick will look for upgrades and camp emergency backups for almost every position, continually. This will happen before camp, during camp, and even in the weeks after the season starts, through the draft deadline (and even late if necessary). I certainly see Belichick bringing in backup OL's, DL's, LB's and special teamers.

There COULD be another transaction or to before the draft, or not. There could be a trade of a draft pick for a player in the week leading up to the draft, or even on during the Draft.
==============
Belichick tries to go into the Draft with a team that is ready to play. This does NOT mean that there will be no more improvements. There will be lots of them, during the draft, and thereafter.

In some seasons, there are positions where it will be difficult to acquire players because of the market, making drafting players at this position the right way to go. SO, I expect Belichick to draft a couple of WR, one early, and one late.

I would not be surprised to see no front six players drafted withe first four picks, although a trade for a player is certainly possible. Obviously, if a top EDGE player is available, then Bill might jump at the chance. However, I suspect that Belichick is OK with his front DL, and wants to see what he has in Bentley, McMillan, Wilson and the FOUR linebackers drafted highly in the last two drafts. Sure, Belichick may acquire another aging veteran; that is his specialty.

I would say the Pats have the following needs and wants:

Needs: Starting left guard
Wants: Number 1 receiver, nose tackle, strong side outside linebacker/defensive end, developmental cornerback
Nice to have: OT depth and 4th RB.

I would say you could fill the strong side OLB through signing Trey Flowers. Can probably find a cheap veteran RB or get one on day 3 of the draft. Receiver and cornerback are obvious top draft needs, which need to be looked at in rounds 1-3. There are some decent developmental offensive linemen and front seven players after round 2. I would hope we can pick up a big bodied nose in the middle rounds and pick up a starting guard there.

My prediction is that we will be feeling a lot better about the team come June.

Some needs can be met by acquisitions after the draft, if necessary.

absolutely. There will be plenty of talented players who are cut between now and the end of camp for whatever reason... happens every year... The roster we start camp with wont be the one we finish with... a strategic pick up here or there can make a difference...

It is like Kraft said yesterday....free agency lasts through August cut down time.

And there's also the trading deadline if we can improve on an area or two.

I would say the Pats have the following needs and wants:

Needs: Starting left guard
Wants: Number 1 receiver, nose tackle, strong side outside linebacker/defensive end, developmental cornerback
Nice to have: OT depth and 4th RB.

I would say you could fill the strong side OLB through signing Trey Flowers. Can probably find a cheap veteran RB or get one on day 3 of the draft. Receiver and cornerback are obvious top draft needs, which need to be looked at in rounds 1-3. There are some decent developmental offensive linemen and front seven players after round 2. I would hope we can pick up a big bodied nose in the middle rounds and pick up a starting guard there.

My prediction is that we will be feeling a lot better about the team come June.

I think this is spot on!

I wonder if flowers has not signed yet because he can not pass a physical at this point.

Every year, it seems, at least one undrafted free agent makes the team. Jakobi Meyers, Jakob Johnson, David Andrews, Brian Hoyer, JC Jackson, Brandon Bolden come to mind immediately. Was Gunner undrafted? Anyway, the draft plus the UFAs will yield players at positions in need of strengthening, especially since Belichick seems to have finally bought into the concept of drafting the best players off the the best college programs.

Keep in mind that a few days after the draft (not sure on the exact date this year) UFA signed will no longer count for or against, the 2023 comp picks. As it stands right now the Pats, should pick up a 3rd and a 6th rd picks for the losses of Jackson and Karras.

So it may be time for BB to get into agreements with UFAs and not officially sign that contract until after the comp deadline has passed. You usually see a small flurry of veteran signings then.

Of course, this does not explain why Try Flowers hasn't been signed, because he was cut, so he would not count against the comp picks anyways.

Some interesting names that could be signed after the deadline:

Gilmore, Honey Badger, JPP, Duane Brown, and a boy named Suh

I would like to see Wynn moved to LG and a new LT put in. At 6' -2", Wynn has to be the smallest LT in the NFL.

Wynn is not even among the top 50 NFL Tackles. NFL T Position Grades | PFF

There are still some solid players still available in free agency (Gilmore, Akiem Hicks, Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Tyrann Mathiews, etc). I assume they will wait until after the draft to sign with teams at this point. So the Pats could still sign several starters.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back