PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what can be done to fix this (1-2 start)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hire me BB, in 2 days i'll make this team 3-0 instead of 1-2

This is a pretty funny sentence as typed. I think you are trying to say, "There was less reason to believe they would improve then, than there is now."
?
Yup. Phone auto type strikes again

I have not really watched any Pats games out here this season but, based on what I hear, their play so far is not up to playoff caliber. I feel there is still time to fix the problems this team has, especially since there are several games on the schedule against (supposedly) weak teams. Before the season began, I said I had my doubts about this team. I still feel they have enough talent to make it to the playoffs, possibly as a wild card. They might still win the AFC East, notwithstanding Miami's hot start. However, IMHO, this is not a Super Bowl team. My biggest disappointment was BB not picking any defensive players with speed in the draft. Many people have said lack of speed on defense was a major problem. Maybe it is, I don't know. All I do know is that the Pats D is being abused and I'm not sure if anyone on the active roster or PS (maybe Trey Flowers when he is back in business) is the missing piece that will solve the problem.

1) Get Flowers and Chung healthy. We might add Rowe (he's our #7 DB after all).

2) Have Edelman and Gordon in the lineup. Dorsett and Hogan are a lot better as the #4 and #5 targets, rather than 2 and 3 after Gronk. Perhaps White is #4.

3) Trade for a linebacker.

Block buster trade with Seahawks. McCourty, Brown and Hogan for KJ Wright and Earl Thomas.
We have to send players with CAP. McCourty's contract is bigger than Thomas and Thomas is 3 years younger. The Hawks are looking DT and Brown needs a change of scenery fast as he enters his contract year. Hogan is also a probable contract casualty here as he is 30 and declining terribly. Baldwin is on the shelf, so Hogan might work for the Hawks.
KJ Wright is 30 and in a contract year but playing better than Hightower for sure.

Now as fast as I can I pick up the phone for Dez (with a chip on his shoulder) and NaVarro Bowman who was the Raiders best D player last year. With the news flash of Bentley to IR, this Bowman signing is a must.

I am sorry. Love Hogan but Dez is a better player in Red Zone and contested balls. Hogan is playing scared for whatever reason. 7 catches in 3 games? He was supposed to be the Go-To until Edelman gets back. Dez is younger even.

Valentine can surely take Malcom Browns spot and has flashed.

DW Toys

Block buster trade with Seahawks. McCourty, Brown and Hogan for KJ Wright and Earl Thomas.
We have to send players with CAP. McCourty's contract is bigger than Thomas and Thomas is 3 years younger. The Hawks are looking DT and Brown needs a change of scenery fast as he enters his contract year. Hogan is also a probable contract casualty here as he is 30 and declining terribly. Baldwin is on the shelf, so Hogan might work for the Hawks.
KJ Wright is 30 and in a contract year but playing better than Hightower for sure.

Now as fast as I can I pick up the phone for Dez (with a chip on his shoulder) and NaVarro Bowman who was the Raiders best D player last year. With the news flash of Bentley to IR, this Bowman signing is a must.

I am sorry. Love Hogan but Dez is a better player in Red Zone and contested balls. Hogan is playing scared for whatever reason. 7 catches in 3 games? He was supposed to be the Go-To until Edelman gets back. Dez is younger even.

Valentine can surely take Malcom Browns spot and has flashed.

DW Toys

Seahawks are not trading for McCourty’s $13m cap hit next year.

This season is rapidly falling apart. The Pats' MASH unit continues to grow.

...If just Mitchell, Hollister and Hill had all been available to play these past two games, the Pats offense likely would've been putting up 30 per game and be 3-0.
Do those dudes play defense, too?

I wouldn't worry........everyone's preference should be that when this team falls, that it falls hard....right now, the only guy earning his money is the punter.
And not even him, really; too many of his candy-ass punts are too soft, exactly like the rest of this team.

Hogan caught 6 of 8 tgts for 128 yards and a TD against Philly in the SB. I don't think his shoulder is an issue, if that's what you were implying.

His "issue" this season is that he's been extremely well-covered. Aside from Dorsett (86% catch rate), Patterson (71% catch rate), White (70% catch rate) and Develin (67% catch rate), who else has been available for Brady to try to get a pass to, who else have defenses needed to account for, other than Gronk?
Not really, my point is that he hasn't looked the same this year, possibly from being behind schedule after shoulder surgery and rehab. I saw a lot of him in training camp and again at the Houston game and to my eye, he looks much smaller than he has in the past two years and not the same player. You say he's been doubled a lot? That may be true but I didnt see it in the one game I've been to so far. Unless you've been at all three games or you're watching the all 22 idk how you can say that his problem is simply double coverage game plans. IMHO it's him.

I'd rather just sign Reid though Earl Thomas showed he's still got it.

It's unlikely that Houston or Seattle are going to trade what you mentioned..
Why Reid? He was sat by the Niners.
DW Toys

Why Reid? He was sat by the Niners.
DW Toys
Because he's the best DB available right now, and if signed would become the best DB on this team not named Gilmour.

Navarro Bowman would be an intriguing addition.
Yes he would; so much so that if signed he would become the best LB on this team...period.

Wonder what it would take to snag Amari Cooper from OAK. He’s wildly inconsistent, but maybe a change of scenery (and QB) could do him/ us some justice. They ain’t winning anyway.

Amari Cooper

Well, I’m doing my part to help this team....
praying-gif-24.gif

Hogan isn’t declining terribly. He’s currently playing as the team’s number one receiver and that’s never been what he is.

Hasn’t he been in the slot a lot? He’s crafty and such a good route runner, we get him back on the outside with Jules and Dorsett inside, with Gordon and Gronk commanding some attention that will be perfect his Hogan.

Still not happy with our WR situation but I at least understood why we did what we did there. Can’t say the same with some drafting and defense.

Sony and Keion should still give solid contributions and we'll likely get one other rookie back via the IR return spot if not 2. Other than that this still looks like a promising group for next year.

It’s better than our 2 previous drafts for sure.

The weaknesses were currently seeing with roster are a direct result of iffy drafting in 16 and 17 and free agent acquisitions that haven’t panned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST