PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So I guess bill didn't actually believe in Stidham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB has changed his offense throughout the years. The RPO type offense is starting to take over and McDaniels ran this with Tebow in Denver. You won’t see Newton or Stidum running the offense Brady ran. That would be a nightmare.
Sure he has. But our personnel is not there for success. We don't have a McCaffrey. We are not built like the Ravens or Seahawks. In other words, there was never a plan personnel wise for Cam type of player. This is why it reeks of desperation to me and Bill getting caught off guard when Brady left town.

Is he, though? I mean, isn't that part of the issue/question? This is Cam in his last four seasons (The last is just 2 games, but it's all we have to go on from last year):

Cam Newton Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I think he's a legitimate NFL starter, but one can reasonably question whether or not he's been a starter-level NFL QB during most of that stretch. Also, nine seasons played (full or in part), but only two of those with a QB rating above 90, only one of those with a better than 2:1 TD:INT ratio, and only three seasons with a completion percentage at 60% or better.

Is Cam healthy? If so, can he be an actual QB, or is he just a big strong runner who can throw the ball a little? That's what people will be asking.

depends on what we’re defining as starting caliber. No doubt in my mind that if he’s healthy he is good enough to start somewhere. But context matters too. Of course he’s probably better than Haskins at this point but Haskins is much younger and the skins invested a lot in him

The question remains the same.

okay so I’m going to operate under the pretenses that there are 32 teams in the nfl meaning each team needs a starter. There’s no doubt in my mind that Newton (who I think is mediocre from the pocket) is good enough to start on atleast one team if he’s 100 percent.

that doesnt mean he should start when looking into context though

I don't know man, we've seen once top players magically revert back to their normal self under a Patriots Jersey.

I don't know man, we've seen once top players magically revert back to their normal self under a Patriots Jersey.

And we've seen good players unable to fit into the system and accomplish squat.

When has Belichick ever given playing time because he believes in a player?

That reminds me of the crap Rex Ryan used to spew ... where did it get him?

if Newton doesn't get a chance to play and earn all those incentives, it could be a real mess. Newton is not a quiet personality. I don't think Stidham will even see a snap in a real game unless Newton is hurt, or REALLY sucks.

When you hear "its not about the money" Translated - its 100% about the money.

When you read "the Patriots are all in on Stidham for 2020" Stidham technically has 1 foot on a banana peel.

Fox Sports has new Vegas odds for winning the AFC as:

1) K.C.

2)Baltimore

3) New England

Never thought I would see that.

No vodka, just pure skepticism and distrust of the NFL front office. These 2 announce were 16 minutes apart. That’s my thought process. Do we really think there wasn’t pressuring to sign Kaepernick, then we moved forward with Cam. It’s a good value signing, but the timing is very suspicious to me. And, no, I’m not a conspiracy theorist, and I’m a recovering alcoholic. Haven’t had a drink in years...
Good work on recovering from that and keep it up :) my dad is an alcoholic so stuff like this I can understand to a degree.

huh?

You think Kraft watched Belichick let Brady walk without any effort at signing him and then forced him to sign Newton?

Ths was a simple value signing. They got a former league MVP QB, who is still well within his prime years, and who has everything riding on a strong showing, for almost nothing. It creates strong competition at QB, and gives them more depth than they would have had the otherwise. It even gives them a much better shot at getting to the play offs and going somewhere if Newton returns to form, or it pushes Stidham to play beyond expectations. I realize Newton has been a diva at times, but he’s also a really talented athlete, and he’s just been through what had to be the most humbling experience of his life, as he’s a former #1 overall that no one wanted. I just don’t see any downsides at all to this signing, as Belichick will cut him like he’s Antonio Brown if any issues develop or his skills disappeared, and it wouldn’t cost them at all.

All that said this also has the benefit of pissing off the rest of the NFL and their fans, who are mostly mumbling “ f>cking Belichick” as they shove their donuts down their throats this morning.

Nicely done Bill, nicely done.
I guess reducing, potentially drastically, a second year quarterback's snaps with the first team offense - particularly the receivers - doesn't count as a downside.

I think the Pandemic had everything to do with this signing. If they could even hold player only practice, I doubt this signing will have happened. Stidham's chances are greatly hurt by COVID. I wish him The best, but his football life kinda sucks from FNF to Baylor and then bad o-line in his final year at Auburn. Kid needs a break.
The signing had everything to do with the money. No reason not to sign him at that price even if you have brady in his prime backed up by manning.

When has Belichick ever given playing time because he believes in a player?

That reminds me of the crap Rex Ryan used to spew ... where did it get him?

Jordan Richards?:headscratch:

Sure he has. But our personnel is not there for success. We don't have a McCaffrey. We are not built like the Ravens or Seahawks. In other words, there was never a plan personnel wise for Cam type of player. This is why it reeks of desperation to me and Bill getting caught off guard when Brady left town.

I think BB saw a guy whose price dropped to the point it became good value even if he’s Stids backup. Great value if he starts. Desperation would’ve been throwing extra cash at someone as soon as Brady made up his mind to leave. BB had to know there was the possibility of TB leaving when BB wouldn’t commit to multiple years last summer.

I shouldn't be as surprised as I am. It was a negotiating position move from day 1.

That said, Newton is literally the single least reliable starting caliber QB that exists, with the possible exception of Ryan Fitzpatrick, so we might see Stidham after all, we'll see.
...Bill doesn't actually believe in Hoyer as a backup or insurance if someone gets hurt.

If there is a camp, everyone will get snaps and be evaluated. Cam's excited to be on board, and the Patriots' team concept is no secret to anyone after twenty years. I expect he'll be supportive, learn the playbook, and hopefully be focused and determined to do well when he plays.

I believe we just became a better team, no matter what.

This. A player drafted at 23 would have a bigger signing bonus than Stidham's entire rookie contract.
Agreed. However, we might have signed a QB in the 4th or 5th. Competition is a good thing.

Sure would have liked to have seen Stidham get a fair shot in an impossible situation having to be the QB to follow Brady.

Newton is not in NE to sit on the bench like Hoyer.

Sure would have liked to have seen Stidham get a fair shot in an impossible situation having to be the QB to follow Brady.

Newton is not in NE to sit on the bench like Hoyer.
Cam is coming off back to back shoulder surgeries followed by Lisfranc foot surgery... I wouldn't pencil anyone in as starter until it happens.

Amazing to me how some geniuses on this board seem to somehow know that a 31 year old Cam Newton is completely "washed". He is 4 years younger than Brian Hoyer and 12 years younger than Brady and did suffer some bad injuries the past 2 years.
Does that mean its impossible for him to return to his previous high caliber form? Of course not.

Complete drivel to dismiss Newton as done.
In 2018 (just 2 years ago he had a 67% completion % and threw for 27 TDs.

Give the guy a chance before you say he is done. Have you seen him work out? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Did you say the same about: Peyton Manning before he threw for 50 touchdowns, Tom Brady after ACL tear, Adrian Peterson, Carson Palmer, Joe Montana
Hey, get outta here with all that context! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes