PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So apparently in the early dynsaty years BB considered Seymour their best player

Status
Not open for further replies.
He of the infamous, "On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end."

Quotes that aged as well as Max Kellerman's cliff or Rob Parker's 2012 gem that Brady will never play in another Super Bowl.....
That triad is the Moe, Larry and Curly of journalism..to be kind.
He missed hugely here obviously, but Borges being a **** is more the issue to me then a misjudgment. I assume anyone over many years who has to put out immediate opinions right away will have a few that look terrible in hindsight.

He was.

"The Chiefs beat Cleveland and lost to Jacksonville..."

Watch out!

If you work at 345 Park Ave, then no...not at all ;)

I've tried to keep a catalogue of cools Pats playoff games, Super Bowls, and some of the good regular season games (ButtFumble, 45-3, etc)

It's a goddamned crime that Harrison isn't in yet. Sadly, the only locks from that list are BB, Kraft, Brady, Law (already in), Vinatieri, and Gronk.

I hear you but Chung, Hightower, McCourty have been in FIVE superbowls with 3 rings... would be odd to have few HOFers from this cohort

If you work at 345 Park Ave, then no...not at all ;)

I've tried to keep a catalogue of cools Pats playoff games, Super Bowls, and some of the good regular season games (ButtFumble, 45-3, etc)

It's a goddamned crime that Harrison isn't in yet. Sadly, the only locks from that list are BB, Kraft, Brady, Law (already in), Vinatieri, and Gronk.
Rodney should have been DPOY in 2003. And, he should have been MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX the following year

I hear you but Chung, Hightower, McCourty have been in FIVE superbowls with 3 rings... would be odd to have few HOFers from this cohort
Slater too!

Seymour is next for HOF

Belichick, Kraft, Brady, Law, Seymour, Vinatieri, Harrison, Gronk, Chung, McCourty, Hightower, Slater

Not sure Rodney, CHung and McCourty get there....

These guys are all Pats HOF candidates...strong ones. I look back and see how guys like Bruschi, Faulk, and Brown aren't sniffing the hall and I don't know if these guys will get in.

Personally, I care more about the Pats HOF than the NFL HOF these days.

I think people forget how good Sey was. He dominated the line. You move him almost anywhere on it & he was effective. He could have had better numbers playing a more aggressive style I bet. Said it before but he was a less athletic Watt. Definitely one of the best at his positions & a huge part of our 1st run.

Brady wasn't the GOAT right out of the box. Quite frankly most people saw him the way people see Nick Foles right now, not a fantastic player but fearless and hardworking and takes it up a notch in big games.

And they were right. Brady when he was young was an extremely cerebral guy but not the best arm and no real athleticism to speak of. He got through games by outsmarting opponents and executing perfectly in the clutch.

It was only later on, after years of experience, that he really became the top offensive player we know him as today. That transition really started IMHO in 05 and 06 when the early dynasty ended and he started losing in the playoffs. Tom Brady does not like to lose, and I'm not gonna sit here and say he wasn't working hard before, but instead of being "happy to be here" because he made the playoffs, he used those defeats as motivation, brought his training to a whole new level and kept it there. I honestly think TB would have set records in 07 with or without Moss, he'd been making a lot of improvements to his personal skillset over that time, Moss put it way over the top though and that was the first year we really saw the GOAT in all his glory.

This is from the 2002 Pats-Chiefs game.

It's stated at 15:19.

Doesn't surprise me at all, Seymour was such a monster and this was before TB became TFB the GOAT of all GOATs.

He better make the HoF.

Just thought the PatsFans community would find that little nugget interesting. :D

When Big Sey was finally named starter (week 5?), NE’s D went from solid to exceptional with morphing capabilities.
Seymour was not only a dominant physical specimen, he was incredibly versatile, and BB + Romeo schemed with great success.
Much of game manager Brady’s early success had to do with the amazing field position the Pats D, led by Seymour, handed them that incredible season

seymour was incredible. he put the defense over the top. he was so good.

Seymour is next for HOF

Belichick, Kraft, Brady, Law, Seymour, Vinatieri, Harrison, Gronk, Chung, McCourty, Hightower, Slater

Think Scarnecchia has more of a chance than the likes of Chung, Hightower, Slater, or McCourty. Rodney's something of a victim of a numbers game. There were a lot of good safeties in the 90s and players like LeRoy Butler (4x All Pro), Darren Woodson (3x All Pro), Carnell Lake, or Lawyer Milloy also won't make the Hall, and all of those players were as good as or better than Rodney at their height. Doesn't help that a couple lasting impressions of Rodney are the hit on Green and the helmet catch. Lynch and Atwater are still waiting for a call.

Slater would belong in a just world but a special teamer isn't getting in.

Seymour was a monster talent who's never really gotten his due, even here in New England. Even with the injury bug hitting him mid-career, he still made 7 Pro Bowls (5 with the Patriots), was first team All-Pro 3 times and second team All-Pro 2 times, and was named to the HOFs first team All-2000s squad. I look forward to his eventual entrance into the NFL HOF, and hope that his induction will help enlighten some as to just how good a player he was.

.... I honestly think TB would have set records in 07 with or without Moss, he'd been making a lot of improvements to his personal skillset over that time, Moss put it way over the top though and that was the first year we really saw the GOAT in all his glory.

And Welker plus a stable of good receivers like Gafney and Stallworth.
That’s why 2008 bothers me so much - We lost a full Prime year of GOAT TB12 and Moss.

He missed hugely here obviously, but Borges being a **** is more the issue to me then a misjudgment. I assume anyone over many years who has to put out immediate opinions right away will have a few that look terrible in hindsight.
True but owning the bad prediction is part of it and I don't recall Borges ever even addressing the issue.....

And Welker plus a stable of good receivers like Gafney and Stallworth.
That’s why 2008 bothers me so much - We lost a full Prime year of GOAT TB12 and Moss.

2008 would have been just as good imo. Sucks because we could be looking at 5 Steelers championships and 7 Patriots championships including a championship for Moss.

We’re back to the Edelman debate again, who has also been in 5 SBs with 3 rings. In his case, he’s won a SB MVP, and is currently the 2nd leading receiver in terms of postseason receptions.

If he’s not going to get in (as it stands now), then it’s damn hard to make a case for any of the defensive players; none of whom have shown any type of dominance with the type of consistency that is needed to be inducted.

Chung, Hightower, and McCourty are all good pieces that have contributed to the success as a whole, but none of them have individual accomplishments that are HOF worthy.

How is Seymour not an obvious Hall of Fame player?

• 3 Super Bowl rings
  • 5x All-Pro (3x first-team)
  • NFL 2000s all-decade team
  • 7 Pro Bowl selections spanned 2001-2012, 12 years of elite play
The H of F committee has totally made a joke out of the Hall of Fame. They want to make it about them and play the starring role as selectors with this moronic first-ballot, “make them wait” garbage. If a guy is worthy of the Hall, vote him in. If not, don’t. This is total stupidity and these guys should all be removed. It’s a bunch of pompous guys like Ron Borges enjoying their power trip.

Interesting that this is presented from a game in which the Pats could not stop the run to save their lives. Seymour was great but became a monster when he had a big mug like Ted Washington or Vince in the middle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News