PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sidy Sow - Conflicting Opinions

Zappe got sacked because there was no pocket to step up into. Sow did what he was supposed to and pushed his man past the play. Just because a Texan’s fan says something happened, doesn’t make it so.

Anderson was lazy in that every play tried to blow by Sow like this one. Sow was on his back pretty much every time.

One inside move on any of these plays and Sow is toast.

It's funny how everyone is saying Sow needs a year to learn the position, and now that he does the little possible because he is beaten off balance, it is being sold that Sow is doing exactly the correct experienced thing. Let's see how this goes when players actually make moves. He is too slow.

And this is one of the plays where Sow was going 5 for 5???

Last edited:

Thanks for that. Sow was late getting off #97 (Ridgeway) to take on Anderson. To his credit, he still got a piece of him. But the fatal breakdown on the play was the unblocked blitz by the MLB (#6, Perryman) which made Zappe take the sack instead of stepping up.

Thanks for that. Sow was late getting off #97 (Ridgeway) to take on Anderson. To his credit, he still got a piece of him. But the fatal breakdown on the play was the unblocked blitz by the MLB (#6, Perryman) which made Zappe take the sack instead of stepping up.
Yeah a zero blitz in the first possession of the first preseason game. BB must've been freaking stewing. Teams never used to do crap like that.

I'd love to see Sidy snag a spot on a seemingly seepy line.
If they test him at RT, and he can hold up, then I think he makes it. Because having another multi-positional OL is going to be important.
So if he can be an option backup at either Guard spot, and vie for starting at RT, that's a win.

Anderson was lazy in that every play tried to blow by Sow like this one. Sow was on his back pretty much every time.

Let's see how this goes when players actually make moves. Sow is too slow.

LOL You're saying Sow lost the night because Anderson was lazy and only toying with him? Creative BS there.

Sow is not slow. 5.07s 40 and a 9.03 overall RAS score as a tackle.

Then he’d have to fire him the very next season when Obie was available. Patricia was a useful idiot.
Yeah, but if he had worked out, they wouldn't have needed to hire Obie, especially considering how much they love Mayo. Sorry, I'll never understand it until Seth Wickersham writes a whole book on it.

LOL You're saying Sow lost the night because Anderson was lazy and only toying with him? Creative BS there.

Did I say that? Maybe Anderson was working on something personal, like a batter tuning up in minor league games.

Anderson was in for 5 plays.

Has to be about 19.5. Another case of PatsFans posters having no idea what they are looking at - rinse and repeat.

Absolutely classic, PatsFans posters saying that Sow has to move to guard and he is promoted at tackle the next day. CLASSIC.

“They know what they have in (supposed) starters so they are giving 1sts reps to jags“ esp @OL in the middle of TC seems to be another one

-.-

Sidy Sow was moved to RT at training camp & we've heard to this point that he's struggled as he adjusts to a new position. Lazar & others have mentioned that he is behind McDermott & Reiff at RT. However, today he was receiving reps as the starting RT after the first preseason game against the texans:

PFF also had him with a good day in pass protection with 0 sacks, 0 hits & 1 hurry on 26 pass blocking snaps. He supposedly held up vs. Will Anderson:

Could this be someone who can improve significantly the remainder of training camp & challenge for a starting spot? He's someone worth keeping an eye on as joint practices begin IMO.

Thanks for the bringing some objective evidence to the table.. The negative opinions immediately after the game were clearly from hater “fans” and writers, who were just piling on from reports of him struggling during practices.

Last edited:
Zappe got sacked because there was no pocket to step up into. Sow did what he was supposed to and pushed his man past the play. The Texans also overloaded the right side so Sidy was trying to block two men. Just because a Texan’s fan says something happened, doesn’t make it so.
Wao nice catch. I had to watch it a few times to get it. First blush was wao he was useless. Closer look shows it was actually an impressive rep where he had to block the inside guy first and then try to catch up with the speed rush outside. Certainly nothing more could have been asked of him there.

It's way too early to make these judgments on linemen.

I remember Froholdt getting tossed around when he was in his 1st year.

So they cut him.

I watched him for an entire game last year, and he would've been a huge upgrade over any of our backups. He handled himself really well as a starter.

You can't give up on linemen quick. Some are ready to play right away, most are not. Not all of them get proper teaching at the college level, which, btw, allows a lot more holding than is allowed in the NFL.

Thanks. I was going to post the same objective evidence about Sow. @Family, we file your posts in this thread under “Tell us that you know nothing about Sidy Sow’s athleticism without telling us that you know nothing about Sidy Sow’s athleticism”.

It's funny how everyone is saying Sow needs a year to learn the position, and now that he does the little possible because he is beaten off balance, it is being sold that Sow is doing exactly the correct experienced thing. Let's see how this goes when players actually make moves. He is too slow.

So Sow would have been beat if Anderson was smarter or tried another move… he simply didn’t. Sounds legit…

I watched the entire first half over again for the first time since I watched it at a restaurant bar… I had the ability to pause and rewind. I suggest you go back and do the same, it’s on youtube.

Sow erased Will Anderson like he didn’t exist… Sow walled off defenders and drove them back in the run game. It didn’t standout because Ferentz and McDermott were stinking up the joint. But the coaches saw the same thing I did, that’s why Sow is currently the starting RT.

Pretty misleading because Sow was helping with the 3-tech and then washed Anderson outside. Counting winning vs losing reps for an OL is misleading as well. The OL will typically win the majority of their reps against individual DL because the OL has some inherent advantages. They know the snap count, they have a lead on when they need to pull, chip/help, and know if it will be run vs pass. Even back-ups will win the majority of their reps against a starting rusher.

What we should be looking at is how often the team left Sow in a phone booth with Anderson, and he was often alone in those reps.

Glad to see Sow emerging as a pot'l starter at RT. He seemed to do OK vs HOU. Hope he does well vs GB and keeps things moving in a positive direction.

For his size Sow was one of the most athletic offensive linemen in his draft class. You’re correct, a lack of athleticism is a terrible take.

I just can't wait to see this week's game - where we presumedly play a few series with starting OL (and Mac)
If Brown, Strange, Andrews play, it'll be world of difference. RG & RT will be a turnstyle until they figure out the best guy while Onwenu heals up.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mafi or Sow in one of those spots in the first 6 weeks.
Although we know BB - and he always leans on the vets first - so it might be Reiff & McDermott week 1.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back