PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we take safeties off our boards?

McCourty/Harmon/Chung here next year.

Thoughts?

Think i'd like to see peppers still, but i'm not totally hung up on him as much as i was, just see him as a replacement for Chung

I was mostly scouting guys like Marcus Williams and Eddie Jackson, but now I could see us picking up one of the strong safety types in the later rounds. I'm not sold on Richards as a backup to Chung. I'd like a 4-deep rotation, ideally.

I was mostly scouting guys like Marcus Williams and Eddie Jackson, but now I could see us picking up one of the strong safety types in the later rounds. I'm not sold on Richards as a backup to Chung. I'd like a 4-deep rotation, ideally.

You have any footage of Williams? haven't heard to much about him

Depending on free agency and the first 2+ rounds, I still wouldn't mind seeing if
a LB/S, such as Joshua Harvey-Clemons in the 3rd round, or Nathan Gerry in the 6th/7th, is still available.

I wouldn't take it off completely but I wouldn't prioritize it either. Maybe the 3rd at the earliest, and probably someone bigger with some potential versatility. Problem is, pickings get slim for that type after the top 75 picks or so most likely.

With this draft class at Safety we'd be crazy to take them off the board. Harmon is a JAG and Chung is merely above average.

With this draft class at Safety we'd be crazy to take them off the board. Harmon is a JAG and Chung is merely above average.
Harmon is actually really good. We got a great deal on him. That said however, I agree, im not completely taking safety off the board. Especially a strong safety. Who knows how long Chung has left and he could be upgraded too.

I wouldn't take them all off the board, necessarily.

Chung played all but 37 of the total 2016 defensive snaps + 201 ST snaps.
McCourty played all but 20 of the defensive snaps + 142 ST snaps.
Harmon contributed in the Big Nickel package, but didn't "relieve" either of them for significant snaps.

Both Chung and McCourty will turn 30 in the middle of Camp.

Chung is signed thru 2018 and McCourty thru 2019.

IF neither successor is on the roster yet (and IDK whether there is or not, really), it seems likely to me that BB will at least spend one pick on a potential developmental candidate this draft. Probably not a high pick for an instant starter candidate, but possibly a 3rd for a potential 2018 replacement for Chung.

I don't think Jordan Richards' position on the roster is entirely safe and I think They can develop someone to replace Chung so I agree, strong safety is still a possibility.

Richards played only 18 defensive snaps all season. He was a relatively "high use" special teamer when active, but was only active for 11 games.

No. The team goes rarely into the draft hoping to fill positions of need. So whatever happens in FA doesn't affect the draft too much.

Also DMac and Chung are slowly getting there in age. Personally, I wish we could get Jabrill Peppers somehow on day 2. He'd be the ideal versatile player to replace Chung and do a little bit of everything if disaster strikes in the secondary. But it's a luxury I suppose..

No. The team goes rarely into the draft hoping to fill positions of need. So whatever happens in FA doesn't affect the draft too much.

Also DMac and Chung are slowly getting there in age. Personally, I wish we could get Jabrill Peppers somehow on day 2. He'd be the ideal versatile player to replace Chung and do a little bit of everything if disaster strikes in the secondary. But it's a luxury I suppose..

Peppers: 5107/213 ... 19 rep ... 4.46/40 ... 35.5/VJ ... 128/BJ
Chung: 5110/212 ... 25 reps ... 4.49/40 ... 34/VJ ... 119/BJ ... 4.24 sh ... 7.11 3cn

We'll have to wait for Michigan's pro day (3/24) to get agility testing numbers for Peppers, but the comp is eerily close, so far.

The Pats took Chung with the #34 pick back in 2009. Though projections vary wildly at this point, it seems possible that Peppers may be available at the #32 this year.

I like Peppers. However, he also seems a bit like "Chung 2.0" in a few other respects, for better or for worse.

Am I seriously going to have to keep a @manxman2601 and @maineman209 straight? How do you two expect the small minded people of this board to tell the difference?

manxman gets to the point quicker; I sometimes leave it out entirely

manxman is probably also funnier

Also, manxman can rush the passer, from what I've read in scouting reports.

I wouldn't take safety off our board, I think if the value is there, perhaps we take one, but I definitely don't think it's a top priority nor do I think we should consider taking one in the first 2 rounds.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back