Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should we extend Gilmore?

• Total voters
See him on the field? If the team isn’t at the very least giving him a big raise for this season you won’t see him until week 10 or whenever holdouts have to show up.

Then so be it...He's still under contract, and has been paid Every Penny of it during the past Four Years.

If some team is willing to part with a '22 2nd-rounder for him at the deadline if he still hasn't shown up, then I'm taking it.

Hopefully by then J.C. Jackson will have proven that he is an elite corner and deserving of a deal....
This is probably why I could see the Pats possibly not taking the risk paying Gilmore.

If Jackson has another year like 2020 and/or improves his coverage on elite WR’s, it will take $15M-$16M per year to keep him. As I’ve pointed out many times, there are guys getting paid in that range who aren’t better than him.

This is probably why I could see the Pats possibly not taking the risk paying Gilmore.

If Jackson has another year like 2020 and/or improves his coverage on elite WR’s, it will take $15M-$16M per year to keep him. As I’ve pointed out many times, there are guys getting paid in that range who aren’t better than him.
So the alternative to paying Gilmore $15-$17M a year is to pay Jackson $15M-$16M and still have no #2 corner.

Just pay Gilmore.

1-2 years is a no-brainer. Anything beyond that would be sketchy at best. He’s the best corner in the game but he’s also a bit long in the tooth.
1-2 years: for us absolutely...for Gilmore hellz no!!!

He is going to want at least a 4 year deal, with the assumption he overplays his pay year 1 and undetplays it year 4.

why? is this team a be super bowl contender? no. why waste $ on him.

This is a key question. I have a maybe overly optimistic belief in BB and think this team could contend. So I think we should extend Gilmore. I also think the whole reason BB hasn't retired yet is to keep contending, get another ring, or at least break Shula's win record.

If we aren't a contender then the whole thing changes. Then play the young guys. But that means a lot of changes people won't like. We go through growing pains with youth at key positions. Bill won't hang around. We'll get a terrible HC replacement (Patricia, McD).

I voted zombies, because the poll is flawed for two reasons.

1. RLKAG. Where is that option?

2. Can’t answer without knowing terms. I’d favor extending him but not for crazy money and terms. Maybe two years, perhaps even three, base around $10 to $12million per year with incentives to go another 4 to 6 but only if performance warrants it. And structured to minimize dead money if they walk away from it in the outyears.
My bad on RLKAG option.

I specifically didn't include terms so it could be discussed. I didn't want to muddy the waters. I wanted to know what people thought would be a good deal to keep him

Yes absolutely we should extend him.
The time has passed to get maximum trade value that was beginning of next year.
With very little money tied up in QB.
It’s a great time to spend a little more to keep him happy.
We punted on cornerback in the draft it would make zero sense to trade him at this point. Richard Sherman is not going to give you what Gilmore still can.
I’d give him a 3 year deal.

To equal Ramseys # 1 CB money, NE would need to pony up 33 million in new money for 2021 and 2022.

A 1 year 13 mil 2021 patch is worthless. Sure Gilmore would make 20 mil, but why would he risk serous injury and save himself for FA in 2022? Surely he could get some team to overpay via a long term deal. We all saw what happened to Revis after he found his last fortune and he split from NE at 29 years old. Gilmore will be 32 years old start of next season.

Gilmore has NE over a barrel. He will be nothing but a distraction that no teams needs if he holds out. Trading him now is too late.

I think we'll get the extension done with him. He wants to be here(per multiple sources) and we need him on the defense. It makes too much sense not to get it worked out. Our defense with Gillmore has the potential to be really, really good.

This may be the first response you've ever had I agree on in premise - even if said with the usual dismissive tone of all things Patriots.

The premise of measuring his worth across return on the investment of THIS year. Even if he is close to elite this year, those odds of continued high level play plummet every successive year for the CB position at his age. And this team can be a playoff team, maybe even a more than one round if all the variables swing their way, but a Super Bowl contender - probably not. And I doubt Gilmore is agreeing to just pumped up money for one year (I could be wrong, but he likely knows he's not getting another big long term contract as well).

If Mac is the real deal and the team stays healthy they’re a Super Bowl contender.

Without Gilmore the CB depth chart is a weakness, with him it’s a strength.

You don’t enter a season (especially after reloading) under the presumption you’re going to suck… except maybe last season where they were obviously clearing cap space.

Last edited:
We'll get a terrible HC replacement (Patricia, McD).
And I fear Patricia working with this D again who made Detroit’s D worse each year even after signing the $90M man Trey Flowers. The Detroit media has had search parties out to find him.

So the alternative to paying Gilmore $15-$17M a year is to pay Jackson $15M-$16M and still have no #2 corner.

Just pay Gilmore.

he's going to be 32 when the next contract would kick in.......no thanks

No team is giving him a 4 year deal.
He has 2 years left. An 1-2 year extension means 3-4 years.

I believe that the patriots and other teams would be willing to sign a 4 year contract. Obviously, the issue is terms, especially guarantees. Consider a team offering $30M in guarantees (bonus and 2021 and 2022 salary) plus whatever in the 3rd and 4th years.

1-2 years: for us absolutely...for Gilmore hellz no!!!

He is going to want at least a 4 year deal, with the assumption he overplays his pay year 1 and undetplays it year 4.
I don't think he's going to seek out a contract where any year is considered an underpay at the time of signing.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back