Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should we extend Gilmore?

• Total voters
Team went a decade without a ring because Bill's defense doesn't work without an elite CB1.
I generally agree, but they had more roster issues and poor personnel decisions during the 10 year drought that seemed to get exposed in their playoff losses.

I voted yes but without knowing what Gilmore is agreeable to it makes it hard to say what I am voting yes on. QB and CB are the only two positions I am willing to spend “big money” on for the right player. Obviously Gilly has been that guy, it is entirely the question of will he continue to be that guy, and history tells us no. So if I was GM the max I would go to on an extension is adding 2 years so he gets an extra 5-8 million this year in signing bonus, is on the books for 16 million next year, and is cuttable in 2023 for less then 5 million dead money. It gives him a raise this year and security for next year, which I think he deserves and can earn, while protecting the Pats long term cap. Any more then that, in years, guaranteed money, or dead space and I would vote no.

Last edited:
1-2 years is a no-brainer. Anything beyond that would be sketchy at best. He’s the best corner in the game but he’s also a bit long in the tooth.

The way I see it, Bill did not trade him last year or this off-season. This puts us in a tricky position. Gilmore wants/deserves a new contract. It is virtually impossible to move him now with teams not having any money due to the drop in cap. If Bill does not intend on extending him then he should have just taken what he could have last October. It was clear we were not going anywhere when we started 2-5. At this point, given how little we are spending on the QB position, I don't get the hold up on getting Gilmore done. I get Bill does not normally give third contracts but there are always exceptions. Gilmore has not shown anywhere near the decline that Revis did at age 30. We need him IMO this year especially and next year.

It actually hasn't. Yes they won in 04 with a lot of injuries. But they had an elite CB1 on the roster. And Malcolm Butler was an AP all-pro in 2016. Point is don't mess around with elite corners. The Pats don't get it done when the defense plays crappy zone with corners 10 yards off the LOS.
2004 ... An elite CB1 who wasnt on the roster because he didnt play after week 7 ... Thats not being "on the roster" ...
And while we all love him for the int, Malcolm Butler is not, never was, nor will he ever be an elite CB1. Ever.

And my point is dont overpay a 31 year old cornerback coming off an injury to his wheels.

2004 ... An elite CB1 who wasnt on the roster because he didnt play after week 7 ... Thats not being "on the roster" ...
And while we all love him for the int, Malcolm Butler is not, never was, nor will he ever be an elite CB1. Ever.

And my point is dont overpay a 31 year old cornerback coming off an injury to his wheels.
It is crazy to compare 2004 to today's passing game. You could get away without having your top corner much better in 2004. You can't today. Look at the QBs and receivers we have to play just with Buffalo, Browns and KC? We desperately need Gilmore. Jackson is a solid 2 but not a 1.

Regarding Gilmore, I’ve said it before and he is aware that Slay (who sucks) is making $17M per year. You’re fooling yourself if you think Gilmore would settle for $12-14M as I’ve seen thrown out here in this thread. Byron Jones makes $16.5M and he sucks.

Slay and Jones suck? That's . . . a take.

It is crazy to compare 2004 to today's passing game. You could get away without having your top corner much better in 2004. You can't today. Look at the QBs and receivers we have to play just with Buffalo, Browns and KC? We desperately need Gilmore. Jackson is a solid 2 but not a 1.
we need the 2019 version of Gilly... we don't know what we have in the 2021 Gilmore... want to reup him? Fine... All I am saying is don't overpay today based on what he did 2 years ago...He's not the same player

we need the 2019 version of Gilly... we don't know what we have in the 2021 Gilmore... want to reup him? Fine... All I am saying is don't overpay today based on what he did 2 years ago...He's not the same player
Sure. I get that but are we really counting last year against him? With Covid and all? He also did get hurt. He was lights out vs Hopkins. He was never gong to be as good as he was in 2019 when he was DPY but he still our top corner by a mile.

I agree not to overpay but then again we do have the money to make him a solid offer.

Yes the Bucs are an NFC team and mean far less in the standings. But, assuming health, Brady will have Evans, Godwin, and Brown out on the field at the same time. And that’s not even accounting for TEs or RBs. Tell me how the Pats defense even tries to matchup with that without Gilmore?

Sure. I get that but are we really counting last year against him? With Covid and all? He also did get hurt. He was lights out vs Hopkins. He was never gong to be as good as he was in 2019 when he was DPY but he still our top corner by a mile.

I agree not to overpay but then again we do have the money to make him a solid offer.
Yes we are counting it against him. You can't ignore it with a soon to be 31 year old CB who depends on speed and strength to do his job at a high level. It happened.

He declined, whether it was due to age, lack of defensive support from the front seven, nagging injuries... any and all... Then he tore his quad....

Yes the Bucs are an NFC team and mean far less in the standings. But, assuming health, Brady will have Evans, Godwin, and Brown out on the field at the same time. And that’s not even accounting for TEs or RBs. Tell me how the Pats defense even tries to matchup with that without Gilmore?
We will struggle to defend most teams we play without Gilmore.

Just pay Gilmore. He was DPOY, hasn't declined, and the Pats have 16M left in unspent cap room.....CB1 is one of the few positions you gotta pay up for the rare talent, and it's worth it.

We don't know that as we enter 2021.

I wouldn't discuss Any extension with him until I first see him on the field.

Yep, give him a raise for this season....he is being paid 7M...I say give him a 5-6M signing bonus on "fake extension" with dummy years on the back end... let him hit the market in March...

Hopefully by then J.C. Jackson will have proven that he is an elite corner and deserving of a deal....and we might find some gems under rocks in Miles Bryant, JoeJuan Williams, Michael Jackson, and etc..etc...

With the astronomical salaries for WR's and CB's these days....we have to home grow em', IMO.....

What's the extension in years, guarantees, total money (for AAV purposes), etc...?

Slay and Jones suck? That's . . . a take.
For the money they are getting paid, yes. Jones is nowhere in the same class as his teammate Howard, who’s now holding out because Jones makes more than him. Jones has always been allergic to the football, while Howard has no problem making plays and has been in the conversation as one of the best for a few years now. Jones has been a disaster so far which doesn’t surprise me as he wasn’t that good in Dallas. The knock on him has always been he’s anemic to making plays.

Slay had a bad season last year. He wasn’t good in 2019 either. He’s nowhere near the catagory of making $17M per year. Gilmore has already pointed out he was Slay money who’s not close to Gilmore’s level.

Last edited:
If he'll take a 3-4 year extension, it's very likely that he'll still be a competitive corner at the end of that contract. Gilmore's never had any serious injury history and his game is about anticipation rather than raw speed per se. I think he's a decent bet to age well. And if his performance falls off in the last year, he may be amenable to a restructure.
He’s coming off a serious injury!

duh.

I voted zombies, because the poll is flawed for two reasons.

1. RLKAG. Where is that option?

2. Can’t answer without knowing terms. I’d favor extending him but not for crazy money and terms. Maybe two years, perhaps even three, base around $10 to $12million per year with incentives to go another 4 to 6 but only if performance warrants it. And structured to minimize dead money if they walk away from it in the outyears.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back