PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we bring in another kicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm wrong to suggest competition is good for the team and this game. I'm fine with that.
In regards to this thread. Yep, you are 100% wrong.

Anyone who claims they have the same level of confidence in him as s/he did a couple of years ago is either fibbing or kidding. With that said, he's as good or better than anyone else who's out there. But, he's not the same guy who seemed automatic from almost anywhere as he once was. For a couple of years now, I've been on edge everytime he lines up for a kick, whether it's a PAT or FG.

Just needs some competition. He's one of the highest paid at his position and should perform as such. As someone has said he has missed crucial kick during the playoffs.

That's like bringing in Johnny Foxboro to compete with TFB. After all he threw a Pick 6 in the SB, far worse than a missed PAT.

Anyone who claims they have the same level of confidence in him as s/he did a couple of years ago is either fibbing or kidding. With that said, he's as good or better than anyone else who's out there. But, he's not the same guy who seemed automatic from almost anywhere as he once was. For a couple of years now, I've been on edge everytime he lines up for a kick, whether it's a PAT or FG.

True but there is an excellent chance he gets back to form. Plus, people seem to forget that XPs percentages were down across the league. So you have to put his misses in perspective. Bottom line, even with this "horrid" season he was top 10 XPs made in the league.

In regards to this thread. Yep, you are 100% wrong.

You are not right either. It's great how some of you guys start calling people idiots and dumb just because they disagree with your unconditional love for ghost. We just want to help our kicker out not replace him.

True but there is an excellent chance he gets back to form. Plus, people seem to forget that XPs percentages were down across the league. So you have to put his misses in perspective. Bottom line, even with this "horrid" season he was top 10 XPs made in the league.
I have never described his season as "horrid.". He's never, ever been horrid. He was once a great kicker and he's still good. But, he's not great any longer. I hope he becomes great again, but I'm not confident about that.

I have never described his season as "horrid.". He's never, ever been horrid. He was once a great kicker and he's still good. But, he's not great any longer. I hope he becomes great again, but I'm not confident about that.

Whatever we all want to call his season (I put horrid in quotes) many posters lack perspective. XPs were down league wide. This ******** about lacking confidence in him has to be tempered with the fact - FACT that just about all kickers were making less XPs then in years past. If it was just Ghost and he was not at least in the top 10 I think it would be a bigger issue.

And if you werent such a clueless person, you would know what works with a kicker like Ghost and whats involved with these situations. You obviously dont, so shut up.

And falling back on accusing those of name calling as a way to discredit posters here isnt going to work either. You dont matter here. Probably never will.

tumblr_mdsa431Qdi1r5c792o1_r2_400.gif

Oh my this is so childish. I thought this forum got rid of people like you. If this how you react with people in real life then something is wrong with you. Brady has competed and won his spot on the team and is still doing so. Everyone has to earn their spot on this team. We will see who is wrong in the end if BB decides to bring in a kicker until then

Whatever we all want to call his season (I put horrid in quotes) many posters lack perspective. XPs were down league wide. This ******** about lacking confidence in him has to be tempered with the fact - FACT that just about all kickers were making less XPs then in years past. If it was just Ghost and he was not at least in the top 10 I think it would be a bigger issue.
By putting "horrid" in quotes, as you wrote, you, by definition, implied you were "quoting" someone else. I'm just asserting that it wasn't me you were quoting. I'm not quarrelling with you, at all. AsI wrote, I believe Ghost is still a good kicker, but I don't believe he's great any longer and I do believe that he was great at one time and for a long time.

By putting "horrid" in quotes, as you wrote, you, by definition, implied you were "quoting" someone else. I'm just asserting that it wasn't me you were quoting. I'm not quarrelling with you, at all. AsI wrote, I believe Ghost is still a good kicker, but I don't believe he's great any longer and I do believe that he was great at one time and for a long time.
I did not mean to imply you thought that. You are an intelligent guy.
I think he is still great. I think he will have a better season next year. He was top 10 in XP so considering he had his worst year, I will take it.

Oh my this is so childish. I thought this forum got rid of people like you. If this how you react with people in real life then something is wrong with you. Brady has competed and won his spot on the team and is still doing so. Everyone has to earn their spot on this team. We will see who is wrong in the end if BB decides to bring in a kicker until then
Do you understand the concept that competition may not only not help a player get better but it may in fact make him get worse? This may or may not be the case with ghost but you have to consider that Belichick may know better than you........even if he brings a kicker in. He may not do that with someone else.

Sometimes this place really seems light on the thinking before posting thing.

In an good year, he's a top3/top5 kind of guy.
In a bad year, he was middle of the pack.

Should they have signed Aguayo?
So is 84.4% a "bad" year. I'm sure we all are dying to hear your analysis on this one. :rolleyes:

You are not right either. It's great how some of you guys start calling people idiots and dumb just because they disagree with your unconditional love for ghost. We just want to help our kicker out not replace him.

All valid points, in my opinion. A couple of additions that I think are noteworthy would be Gost's familiarity with the conditions at Gillette stadium, and his ability to handle kickoff duties better than anyone else in the league.

Does anybody watch the games? He is the best kick off guy in the game. Part of the reason we were able to come back from 25 was his kick offs. He is not as reliable as he used to be, but there is a reason bill isnt even entertaining replacing him. Please pay attention.

So is 84.4% a "bad" year. I'm sure we all are dying to hear your analysis on this one. :rolleyes:

1226.gif

I was defending Gost by noting that, even in a year many consider to have been a bad one, he was still a middle of the pack kicker. However, since you couldn't just accept the obvious, here you go.

Gost FG% in recent years

2013: 92.7 (#7 overall)
2014: 94.6 (#3 overall, and realistically #2, since Hartley slots #1 with just 3 FG attempts)
2015: 91.7 (#6 overall)
2016: 84.4 (#18 overall)

Gost career FG%

In terms of where it fit for a season in his career, it was #7 of 11. So, yeah, it was a down year for him in terms of FG%, and it was obviously not a great year in terms of XP%, given that it was his career worst, and the first year where he's even had a miss since 2006.

In the league, he was 18th in FG% and 19th in XP%, this past season, both of which are obviously middle of the pack.

NFL Stats: by Player Position

Anything else, Ken? :rolleyes:

1226.gif

I was defending Gost by noting that, even in a year many consider to have been a bad one, he was still a middle of the pack kicker. However, since you couldn't just accept the obvious, here you go.

Gost FG% in recent years

2013: 92.7 (#7 overall)
2014: 94.6 (#3 overall, and realistically #2, since Hartley slots #1 with just 3 FG attempts)
2015: 91.7 (#6 overall)
2016: 84.4 (#18 overall)

Gost career FG%

In terms of where it fit for a season in his career, it was #7 of 11. So, yeah, it was a down year for him in terms of FG%, and it was obviously not a great year in terms of XP%, given that it was his career worst, and the first year where he's even had a miss since 2006.

In the league, he was 18th in FG% and 19th in XP%, this past season, both of which are obviously middle of the pack.

NFL Stats: by Player Position

Anything else, Ken? :rolleyes:
Are you counting those kickers who kick a majority of their games indoors at the same level as those who kick in much rougher venues?? It also seems you are counting his great almost historic years against him. But basically you are saying that anything less than 90% is grounds for dismissal. Clearly you wasted a lot to time so you could snidely remark. "anything else Ken" :rolleyes: ;)

BTW- Goskowski is the Pats "Kicker" not just their FG kicker. When you replace him you will need to replace the rest of his game that doesn't seem to matter to the yahoo fringe of our fandom.

He was well over 90% the 3 prior years. He did miss 2 FG from 30-39 yards - which is the XP range. I think the XP thing messed him up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News