Should we bring in another kicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
07 - Not enough faith to try a 49 yarder
14 - 15 TDs scored by offense, no need for him
15 - Missed XP vs Den
16 - Missed XP in SB, won in spite of him

He cost them two Super Bowls
I am not sure how he could have cost them in 2007 when he was not given the chance to make the kick. That was a coaching blunder by BB, but who would have guessed the damn miracle catch would have happened soon thereafter. The only one on this list that I would agree with is the '15 miss against Denver, and that cost them the chance to appear in the SB, not the game itself. That one was on Ghost. However, there have been many many more made kicks and good kick-offs during his time with the team to offset the one loss. Many other teams have kickers that have cost them multiple games that can't get anyone half as good as Ghost.

All I can think about is how this rule has backfired on BB. He didn't think his kicker would have missed so many extra points since. I do think Gostkowski neeeds to improve on this. I'm still trying to understand why this is happening. I mean if Justin Tucker can be rock solid, Gostkowski should be too. The only thing I can think of is the article about the pop up kicks on kickoff that is causing the problem. I hope he can fix it soon. We can't keep missing extra points.
I do agree that BB probably thought this rule change (that he pushed for) would work out great for the Pats and would not affect us nearly as much as it has.

Any sane person would know he was just throwing out generic numbers to make a point. I'm guessing you actually went and checked to see if numbnuts made a 60 and missed a 20.
Nope I know it didn't happen because I watch all the games.
The point he was trying to make is wrong.

07 - Not enough faith to try a 49 yarder
14 - 15 TDs scored by offense, no need for him
15 - Missed XP vs Den
16 - Missed XP in SB, won in spite of him

He cost them two Super Bowls
He cost them a SB by not attempting a FG? Pretty funny.

He cost them a SB by missing a first qtr PAT that at best would have had them tied in the afccg. Pretty funny.

By your standards every player who has played in the team has single handedly cost us SBs.
I guess at this point Brady is up to costing us 12.

I get it - - You're a schtick, right? The name referencing Volin and the pic of Borges. Kinda like a take on Dikembe?

But Dikembe is witty/funny.

Exactly what I was thinking. Except I was leaning towards more of a Feglerishistic tendency. He probably wears penny loafers when posting and prior to hitting "post reply" he squawks, "That's right Mike."

We drafted Gost and let Adam walk in 2006...basically letting a legend walk out the door for more money to draft an unknown commodity.
I still think back to the "what if"of going for it on 4th and 13 from the NYG 32 a 7-3 game.
I truly believe Adam strolls out for the kick but BB was protecting Gost.
I love Gost...he seems like a genuinely likable, hardworking person...but he is not a legend.
We let Adam go after his 10th season and Gost is in his 12th season.
Since then, Adam has earned* an extra $2.7M more than Gost... and alarmingly low figure considering this includes Gostkowski's rookie contract. That's only an extra $226,000 per year over that time.
If the decision to let Adam leave was about money, then we may have miscalculated.

* keep in mind this is earnings, not cap hit.

There is a pretty good chance your legend will go into the HoF as a Colt. Make of that what you will.

We won two titles with Ghost who has been an exceptional kicker since he arrived here. I dont see any reason to complain about anything.

He's partly responsible for ending a couple of Super Bowl runs and last year he made the comeback more difficult but it was more epic the way we had to do it.

Curious to hear a list of that couple of superbowl runs.

He's partly responsible for ending a couple of Super Bowl runs and last year he made the comeback more difficult but it was more epic the way we had to do it.

You know who else made the comeback in the SB more difficult ? That ****ing scrub QB of ours who threw a pick-6. And he didnt do it just there, but he also turned the ball over in the AFCCG a year earlier.

Stop scapegoating a kicker as if he is responsible for the ****ups of everyone else just because it is mathematically convenient.

I do agree that BB probably thought this rule change (that he pushed for) would work out great for the Pats and would not affect us nearly as much as it has.

If he honestly felt that Gostkowski would make 99+% of 32-yard kicks, he was insane. I think it was the combination of that change plus the mortar kicks that probably threw Gostkowski off a bit.

Just remember that the average for 32-yard kicks is 95%.

The need to demonize a player in at team sport is troubling.. Stephen Gostowski is very good.

FYI Steven Gostowski is the 3rd rated kickers of all time, in terms of percentage of FG's made.. that is pretty impressive.

NFL Field Goal % Career Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

In the Tournament he is 67 out of 70 in XP's and 31 out of 33 in FG's.... which is also impressive on the biggest stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes