PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats have drafted DK Metcalf instead of N'Keal Harry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would rather they drafted a guy who can actually play....last 2 first picks have contributed a total of ONE game of a possible TWENTY SEVEN

Agreed. It's not like Bill drafted a bust here. Is Sony going to be Curtis Martin or Corey Dillon? Probably not, but he is quite good.

Is he? He seems more like Jarvis Green Ellis. I mean yeah slightly above average.

But he can’t catch, he can’t beat defenders to the outside, lacks explosion, and struggles breaking tackles

Is he? He seems more like Jarvis Green Ellis. I mean yeah slightly above average.

But he can’t catch, he can’t beat defenders to the outside, lacks explosion, and struggles breaking tackles

Yeah I don't know where that Sony is "quite good "came from??:confused: The guy has more deficiencies than swiss cheese and is in the same sentence with "quite good".:confused::D

Given that Harry has been playing left bench all season, I think it's far too soon to give even a partially informed opinion on this question.

We still win the SB last year with Chubb. He would have ran ape **** through all those holes, maybe a few 200 yard games

I’m still amazed at people who have followed this team for the last twenty years and still think it’s just about collecting physical talent.

There is a method to Belichick’s madness and a reason for everything he does.

He saw something in Sony and whatever it was it directly contributed to another SB win.

There are still people to this day who defend the Laurence Maroney pick.

Yes we could have had Deangelo Williams just 6 picks later at #27.

Or how about Chad Jackson at #36 when we could have had Greg Jennings at #52?

I'm not saying BB is a bad drafter overall. But he's far from infallible. It's perfectly valid to ask, hey should we have looked at option B considering what has played out so far?

PS I finally found a N'Keal Harry picture from preseason and updated the original post. He has seen so little action that google searches that mention Harry's name actually picture OTHER patriot receivers in them.

Chubby rushed for 6 yars a carry vs the #1 NFL defense.

And Beckham and Landry did not see the endzone.. the Pats always take away what they perceive as strengths..

Good point. I like the Chubb kid. Has his head on straight and he'll get over last Sunday. On the list of BB's draft mistakes, I would put Sony Michel far down the list........

I do agree with that. While I think it's clear that Chubb is the better back of the two, at least Michel is actually good in his own right. I think we can already say Michel was a suboptimal pick in that they'd be better positioned right now and for the future if they'd taken Chubb instead, but even with that being true Michel can still prove to be a good pick. This isn't Cunningham-over-Dunlap 2.0. It could turn out that way if Michel fails to continue developing and producing, but based on what he's done so far I don't think it will.

There are still people to this day who defend the Laurence Maroney pick.

Yes we could have had Deangelo Williams just 6 picks later at #27.

Or how about Chad Jackson at #36 when we could have had Greg Jennings at #52?

I'm not saying BB is a bad drafter overall. But he's far from infallible. It's perfectly valid to ask, hey should we have looked at option B considering what has played out so far?

PS I finally found a N'Keal Harry picture from preseason and updated the original post. He has seen so little action that google searches that mention Harry's name actually picture OTHER patriot receivers in them.

Defending the Maroney pick is mostly about pointing out that any argument that he was clearly not the way to go hinges on already knowing how their careers turned out and projecting backward from that. Yeah, if in 2005 you could somehow know that a few years into his career Maroney would sustain a major shoulder injury that basically would ruin his running style and make him an ineffective player, then sure you could use that magic future-telling ability to confidently look elsewhere with the 21st pick. But assuming you're constrained by not being able to tell the future, Maroney was a perfectly justifiable pick, and was on his way to vindicating it before his career got torpedoed by injury.

A lot of careers get ****ed by injury, but that doesn't mean the pick was bad at the time it was made. It's just another variable that you can't really account for because it's essentially random. The best you can do is draft players with a track record of durability and hope it carries over. Or you can draft guys who got injured a lot in college and hope the other side of the coin works out for you and he proves durable enough in the pros to get you a bargain. Do that a few times and sometimes you get Ras-I Dowling, other times you get Gronk.

It's completely ridiculous and disingenuous to compare Michel/Chubb to Dunlap/Cunningham. By all accounts based on pre-NFL experience Dunlap was the better player.

Meanwhile Chubb and Michel were very close and basically every mock draft had Michel going ahead of Chubb.

Here is Chubb and Michel's college production. Which one would you have taken for the Patriots system:

Player A:
47 games played - 590 attempts - 3613 yards (6.1 y/a) - 33 TDs - 64 receptions - 621 yards - 6 TDs
Of which in final season: 14 games played - 156 attempts - 1227 yards (7.9 y/a) - 16 TDs - 9 receptions - 96 yards

Player B:
47 games played - 758 attempts - 4769 yards (6.3 y/a) - 44 TDs - 31 receptions - 361 yards - 4 TDs
Of which in final season: 15 games played - 223 attempts - 1345 yards (6.0 y/a) - 15 TDs - 4 receptions - 30 yards

And here come the excuses. Maroney already failed to develop in year 2. Don't act like his career suddenly nosedived because of injury. That wasn't until his 5th year that he had a major injury with a different team, ie Denver and his career ended.

People were noticing since year 1 that his style was not north-south and featured too much 'dancing' without the elusiveness of an actual elusive back. It just led to unnecessary losses. This mentality failed to improve in year 2. Maroney was a bad pick. Peroid.

.....Our OL sucks this year. The amount of piling on Sony has been ridiculous since day 1. Probably the same people who shyt all over James White his first couple years.

Yup, the FFLers reading stats off the internet who think RBs don't have to rely on OL/blocking.

Last edited:
I’m still amazed at people who have followed this team for the last twenty years and still think it’s just about collecting physical talent.

There is a method to Belichick’s madness and a reason for everything he does.

He saw something in Sony and whatever it was it directly contributed to another SB win.

I'm still amazed at people who can't admit that BB makes mistakes.

He seems to have chosen the wrong Bulldog. There's no need to pretend this is some inscrutable plan that nobody but BB can create or follow. He thought Michel was more than he is.

That wasn't until his 5th year that he had a major injury with a different team, ie Denver and his career ended.
Maroney broke his should in game 2 of the 2008 season and only played 3 games that season. That was his 3rd season.

And here come the excuses. Maroney already failed to develop in year 2. Don't act like his career suddenly nosedived because of injury. That wasn't until his 5th year that he had a major injury with a different team, ie Denver and his career ended.

People were noticing since year 1 that his style was not north-south and featured too much 'dancing' without the elusiveness of an actual elusive back. It just led to unnecessary losses. This mentality failed to improve in year 2. Maroney was a bad pick. Peroid.

And he cost us that Perfect Season SB too... the Giants were teeing off on Brady and Mulroney couldn't even get out of his own way and break a Big run. :mad:

I'm still amazed at people who can't admit that BB makes mistakes.

He seems to have chosen the wrong Bulldog. There's no need to pretend this is some inscrutable plan that nobody but BB can create or follow. He thought Michel was more than he is.

Absolutely. BB makes PLENTY of mistakes. He is human. Just like in the stock market. The few successful long-term pickers are right around 50-60% of the time.

Even the computers get the NFL draft wrong each year. BB seems to hit more on the RFAs than anywhere else.

Has Chubb had a more productive 1.5 years of regular season? Sure. Doesn't mean Michel was a terrible pick.

One could look at just about every 1st round pick in NFL history and made an argument that someone behind them was a better choice.

Last edited:
Would rather they drafted a guy who can actually play....last 2 first picks have contributed a total of ONE game of a possible TWENTY SEVEN
More love.

On another topic : no. No, the NEP should not be 100% in all of their decisions. They should continue making moves in an effort to get better and try to win the SB. They should not be expected to hit on every single transaction. It's amazing they've been so right, so many times.

The returns of Chung & Collins, the fleecing of Detroit & Oakland to acquire KVN and Moss, trade for Dillon, Big Washington & Brian Waters for a great year, finding Vrabel & Harrison when they had low value, the drafts that brought NE Chandler Jones, Collins, Hightower...

BB and crew have made so many amazing choices - especially when you compare and contrast with other teams - that it's hard for me to understand why specific picks/decisions are debated to such an extent.

I think Michel has played more than one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents