PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should have gotten more for JG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it's not rocket science because rocket science makes sense. What you are saying does not. Neither you nor I have the first clue whatsoever what is going on behind the scenes. There is no logical basis to conclude they took the first offer they got. You are pulling things out of thin air without evidence, hoping it is true, and then using it to make a weakly-supported point.

The funny thing is that if your statement is true, it only reinforces the fact that the Patriots got a great deal for Garoppolo and did the right thing. You are literally trying to argue that absolutely nobody was interested in Garoppolo, but the Patriots still should have gotten more than a 2nd rounder.

If, as you claim, not one single team was interested in him and not one single team made an offer for him until SF did, and BB still got a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline for a backup QB who was 8 weeks away from free agency, then that's the trade of the century from NE's standpoint.
Um I was talking specifically about the Browns rumor that you brought up, I wasn't really talking about league wide interest. Maybe that wasn't clear.

Do you think a 2nd rounder was a "great deal" for a starting caliber QB highly regarded by this organization who it turns out has won a lot of games and who was playing in a SB and nearly won it and seeing how many "starting" QB's around the league absolutely suck?
You might think so. I disagree.

Um I was talking specifically about the Browns rumor that you brought up, I wasn't really talking about league wide interest. Maybe that wasn't clear.
I've painted you into a corner (quite easily, in fact) and now you are trying to have it both ways. If the Patriots "took the first offer they got" it demonstrates that no team in the NFL was interested in Garoppolo and getting a 2nd rounder was a steal.

You're the one saying no team made any offer for Garoppolo until SF did at the trade deadline. It makes zero sense whatsoever to make that claim but then also claim there was widespread interest. So using your own logic, the Patriots got a 2nd rounder for a guy no one wanted. That's a steal.
Do you think a 2nd rounder was a "great deal" for a starting caliber QB who has won a lot of games and who was playing in a SB and nearly won it and seeing how many "starting" QB's around the league absolutely suck?
You might think so. I disagree.
A second round pick for a career-backup QB with a history of getting injured quite easily who is 8 weeks away from free agency is a great deal. When, in the history of the NFL, has any player 8 weeks away from being a UFA fetched more?

I've painted you into a corner (quite easily, in fact) and now you are trying to have it both ways. If the Patriots "took the first offer they got" it demonstrates that no team in the NFL was interested in Garoppolo and getting a 2nd rounder was a steal.

You're the one saying no team made any offer for Garoppolo until SF did at the trade deadline. It makes zero sense whatsoever to make that claim but then also claim there was widespread interest.

A second round pick for a career-backup QB with a history of getting injured quite easily who is 8 weeks away from free agency is a great deal. When, in the history of the NFL, has any player 8 weeks away from being a UFA fetched more?
No it's not what I said, read it again.

And again you might think so but I disagree. I think they could have gotten more. I'll leave it at that.

No it's not what I said, read it again.
You said, several times, the Patriots took the first offer they got.

It is important to note that you are the one claiming (quite insistently in fact) that not one single team made an offer for Garoppolo until SF did at the very last moment before the trade deadline. One may logically conclude from that statement that the leaguewide interest in Jimmy Garoppolo was extremely low.

Surely you're not of the belief that a bunch of teams were interested in him, but not one single team made an offer before SF did? I hope that is not your belief, because it makes zero sense whatsoever.

And again you might think so but I disagree. I think they could have gotten more. I'll leave it at that.
When, in the history of the NFL, has any player 8 weeks away from being a UFA fetched more?

Yeah this thread is just the same tired old arguments... but it is a good place to insert this article...

THIS is worthy of a thread. As in, if he's been traded, but can't pass the physical because he's dead, does the trade go through?

Did it with Cassel.

I know they wanted JG out the door quickly because they took the first offer that they got. Should have been more IMO.

Because they got so much more for Cassel than JG...

Real problem is JG was so good that SF won their last 5 game and tanked our draft pick :mad:

Because they got so much more for Cassel than JG...

Real problem is JG was so good that SF won their last 5 game and tanked our draft pick :mad:
Very true. Maybe that was part of how that trade looks to me. At least it was not lower than 63 where we picked JG in the first place.

Who cares! It's over! Done with! Move forward!

I'd understand it more if this was your life, but **** it's not. It doesn't have to affect you.

I don't think we had any threads on how bad the Sanu trade was. Maybe I will start a thread to mention it.
I'm going to start a thread about the Patriots' tight end position. I can't believe that nobody has brought that up even once.

And while we are at it, how about a thread demanding the Pats trade for a wide receiver?

I'm going to start a thread about the Patriots' tight end position. I can't believe that nobody has brought that up even once.

And while we are at it, how about a thread demanding the Pats trade for a wide receiver?
AB is available...

Who cares! It's over! Done with! Move forward!

I'd understand it more if this was your life, but **** it's not. It doesn't have to affect you.
It doesn't. But it's JG week, and we've had this game circled for a bit so just something to discuss. Admit it's in hindsight a bit but I think the Pats could have done better, others don't and that's cool.

Maybe we should wait three years and bring it up again for no reason.

Maybe we should wait three years and bring it up again for no reason.
Maybe I will so you can cry about it then too. :crying:;)

Your using information you have now as if the patriots would’ve known this?

Trades are frequently about leverage. On this one the Patriots had none because they screwed up the timing. The whole league knew that he would leave at the end of the year as a free agent. No one really expected them to ditch Brady and keep Jimmy G. The whole league knew that the Patriots would not trade him to an AFC team because they did not want to face him regularly on path to SB. The whole league knew Jimmy was looking for big $$$ and Patriots could not pay him and Brady. That left them with no leverage. They played the whole situation poorly and should have traded him before the start of the year. I agree with the premise this situation was really handled poorly by the Front office.

Trades are frequently about leverage. On this one the Patriots had none because they screwed up the timing. The whole league knew that he would leave at the end of the year as a free agent. No one really expected them to ditch Brady and keep Jimmy G. The whole league knew that the Patriots would not trade him to an AFC team because they did not want to face him regularly on path to SB. The whole league knew Jimmy was looking for big $$$ and Patriots could not pay him and Brady. That left them with no leverage. They played the whole situation poorly and should have traded him before the start of the year. I agree with the premise this situation was really handled poorly by the Front office.
Funny how one guy in here is arguing the Patriots should have traded him sooner and the other guy is saying they got Jimmy out the door too quickly.

#facepalm

The trade was on paper a W for the Patriots - drafted Jimmy 63rd overall, received 42nd overall for him. Feels now like that wasn't enough. JG is a starter and a good one and coming off a Super Bowl appearance. Looking back it should have been quite a bit more than that. It didn't have to be a first, but as an NFL starting caliber QB he was worth more than just one second rounder.

It's like they wanted Jimmy out the door quickly. That's too bad.
They couldn’t get more for him or they would have. You had a Sb team with a 40+ qb. You keep him until the trade deadline in case your 40+ qb gets hurt (a higher risk at that age). The security in a Sb winning season is worth a little bit of a difference in trade value. Plus they also got back a backup who knew the system.

*reads thread title*

Time has passed, its a lot easier for us to have a calm, distant and collected discussion about what is clearly a major impact point in the franchise. No one knows everything, must be nice to read what everyone thought about it, right_

*reads first 2 posts*

Ok, condescending ****s, expected

*keeps reading, agressive comebacks ensues*

Nop, people still cant talk

Good bye

It's PatsFans in the nutshell the last few years, it's getting harder and harder to have any conversation about football without it turning into a cat fight outside a bar after last call. You can't help but watch but wonder why you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back