PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should have gotten more for JG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trade was on paper a W for the Patriots - drafted Jimmy 63rd overall, received 42nd overall for him. Feels now like that wasn't enough. JG is a starter and a good one and coming off a Super Bowl appearance. Looking back it should have been quite a bit more than that. It didn't have to be a first, but as an NFL starting caliber QB he was worth more than just one second rounder.

It's like they wanted Jimmy out the door quickly. That's too bad.
Uh, you do realize the guy was 3 months away from being a UFA, right..? (There was no way whatsoever they were going to franchise a backup QB, nor should they have).

I don’t see how trading a guy you’re going to lose in 3 months anyway equates to wanting that person out the door quickly.

Uh, you do realize the guy was 3 months away from being a UFA, right..? (There was no way whatsoever they were going to franchise a backup QB, nor should they have).

I don’t see how trading a guy you’re going to lose in 3 months anyway equates to wanting that person out the door quickly.
Did it with Cassel.

I know they wanted JG out the door quickly because they took the first offer that they got. Should have been more IMO.

Eh. Worse QB's have been traded for a bigger haul than a second rounder.

Still think we should have gotten more. Dunno what the $ would have been like or if it was feasible but couldn't they have done a Cassel style franchise and trade?

maybe you should run the team

you'd be 0-16 .... over and over again

maybe you should run the team

you'd be 0-16 .... over and over again
Probably.

Still think there was more out there for Jimmy if the Pats looked.

Did it with Cassel.

I know they wanted JG out the door quickly because they took the first offer that they got. Should have been more IMO.

yup.....and brady walked for nothing......your point? at least something with a shred of basis

weird, 2 weeks ago there was chatter of Jimmy G shi1tting the bed and being benched for mullens/beathard.

Did it with Cassel.

They did it with Cassel with because that facilitated a trade with another team. They did not franchise him with the intent to keep him on the team.

And to say they took the first offer they got is a statement which you have no idea whatsoever if it is true or not. There were plenty of reports that Cleveland made an offer for Garoppolo before the season even began, so your claim that they "took the first offer they got" is highly dubious.

*reads thread title*

Time has passed, its a lot easier for us to have a calm, distant and collected discussion about what is clearly a major impact point in the franchise. No one knows everything, must be nice to read what everyone thought about it, right_

*reads first 2 posts*

Ok, condescending ****s, expected

*keeps reading, agressive comebacks ensues*

Nop, people still cant talk

Good bye

They did it with Cassel with because that facilitated a trade with another team. They did not franchise him with the intent to keep him on the team.

And to say they took the first offer they got is a statement which you have no idea whatsoever if it is true or not. There were plenty of reports that Cleveland made an offer for Garoppolo before the season even began, so your claim that they "took the first offer they got" is highly dubious.
Yes I know the Patriots would not have kept JG -I wish they could have but I know that wasn't happening. But I can't see why they couldn't have done the same thing with the right partner.

The Browns rumor was just that, it wasn't a "report". It was a rumor and nothing more. All of it was based on musings of only one reporter on the Browns beat who kept doubling and tripling down on the same thing. Nobody else reported that first hand, not the national media or the Patriots media.

Pats could probably have gotten a little more if he was traded prior to the 2017 season but then they would have been a bit exposed from a backup perspective and with a Super Bowl contending team maybe BB wanted to wait as long as possible in case Brady got hurt. At the time of the trade it also appeared to be closer to a mid 30's pick than what they got as unfortunately SF and Jimmy G got hot at the end of the year.

The jury is still out on JG. Is he a mid tier QB or can he become top 10? He is still only about 30 starts into his career but at 29 he looks more likely to me to max out in the 10ish range vs being a true top of league starter. Outside of games against the Pats I will continue to root for him.

Yes I know the Patriots would not have kept JG -I wish they could have but I know that wasn't happening. But I can't see why they couldn't have done the same thing with the right partner.

The Browns rumor was just that, a rumor and nothing more. All of it was based on musings of only one reporter on the Browns beat, nobody else reported that first hand, not the national media or the Patriots media.
Yes it was a rumor. Maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't. But fact is that you have no idea whatsoever whether or not the Patriots "took the first offer they got" for Garoppolo.

FACTS: Jimmy Garoppolo was drafted in 2014. He was on the team for 3 full seasons. In his 4th season - the final year of his contract - they held on to him until the very last moment before the trade deadline on October 31 of 2017.

Some people: They traded him too soon!! Why were they in such a rush to get rid of Garoppolo?!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes it was a rumor. Maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't. But fact is that you have no idea whatsoever whether or not the Patriots "took the first offer they got" for Garoppolo.

FACTS: Jimmy Garoppolo was drafted in 2014. He was on the team for 3 full seasons. In his 4th season - the final year of his contract - they held on to him until the very last moment before the trade deadline on October 31 of 2017.

Some people: They traded him too soon!! Why were they in such a rush to get rid of Garoppolo?!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If nobody (other than the musings of this one and only one reporter) reported that a team made an offer for JG and the Patriots turned it down - it ain't rocket science to conclude nothing happened and the Patriots did take the first offer they got.

Now whether Bill should have asked the 49ers for more is a different question. My whole point is however it might have happened, I believe they could have gotten more for him.

3 things

1 - Cassel showed much more than Garoppolo did at the point of departure
2 - Brady wasn't milling around telling Kraft to do something
3 - franchise tag was not and option

If nobody else other than this one reporter that said any team made an offer for JG and the Patriots turned it down - it ain't rocket science to conclude nothing happened and the Patriots did take the first offer they got.
I agree it's not rocket science because rocket science makes sense. What you are saying does not. Neither you nor I have the first clue whatsoever what is going on behind the scenes. There is no logical basis to conclude they took the first offer they got. You are pulling things out of thin air without evidence, hoping it is true, and then using it to make a weakly-supported point.

The funny thing is that if your statement is true, it only reinforces the fact that the Patriots got a great deal for Garoppolo and did the right thing. You are literally trying to argue that absolutely nobody was interested in Garoppolo, but the Patriots still should have gotten more than a 2nd rounder.

If, as you claim, not one single team was interested in him and not one single team made an offer for him until SF did, and BB still got a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline for a backup QB who was 8 weeks away from free agency, then that's the trade of the century from NE's standpoint.

People really still think they should have gotten more for a guy that was gonna be a free agent and only had played 1.5 games while his toughness was questioned when the Pats had to run out their #3 QB (who couldn't grip a ball good because he needed season ending thumb surgery) because the Pats were under the assumption Garoppolo was gonna play and then morning of gameday he pulled himself?

BTW the injury issues never went away. He's still only played a full year once and was carried by the defense and running game. When it was time to put a game on his shoulders in the SB, he choked. Seriously go look up his playoff run last year, got carried harder in those playoffs than Forehead did in 2015. He threw only 8 times in the NFCC. 8 times

Yeah this thread is just the same tired old arguments... but it is a good place to insert this article...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes