PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should have gotten more for JG

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
The trade was on paper a W for the Patriots - drafted Jimmy 63rd overall, received 42nd overall for him. Feels now like that wasn't enough. JG is a starter and a good one and coming off a Super Bowl appearance. Looking back it should have been quite a bit more than that. It didn't have to be a first, but as an NFL starting caliber QB he was worth more than just one second rounder.

It's like they wanted Jimmy out the door quickly. That's too bad.

The trade was on paper a W for the Patriots - drafted Jimmy 63rd overall, received 42nd overall for him. Feels now like that wasn't enough. JG is a starter and a good one and coming off a Super Bowl appearance. Looking back it should have been quite a bit more than that. It didn't have to be a first, but as an NFL starting caliber QB he was worth more than just one second rounder.

It's like they wanted Jimmy out the door quickly. That's too bad.
You need to go back and review carefully, the events leading up to the day Jimmy G was traded, then you'll realize why we couldn't.

Kindly recall that Jimmy G., didn't just want to sign a big extension, he also wanted to start, so without a concrete promise that he would start, he refused to sign an extension.

You need to go back and review carefully, the events leading up to the day Jimmy G was traded, then you'll realize why we couldn't.

Kindly recall that Jimmy G., didn't just want to sign a big extension, he also wanted to start, so without a concrete promise that he would start, he refused to sign an extension.
I understand it would have been difficult to keep him. We did have the cap space to franchise him but not after we signed Gilmore and some other guys. Would have been nice though. For the hand wringing about not having a post-Brady plan - he was the plan and he was sent packing.

I just question that a 2nd rounder was the best we could have done looking back. Jimmy is a starting caliber QB in the league that can play for many years, if he's healthy. He's also a winner, and a guy that went to a SB too. Those QB's are not that common.

Still crying like a little biatch at anything I post eh?

Not surprised. It's what you do. :)
Me-ow! I thought I was blocked after your GDT hissy fit?

Me-ow! I thought I was blocked after your GDT hissy fit?
^ and still crying. LMAO. Nah I unblocked you cause it's fun to laugh when you get triggered. :)

Stay mad!

^ and still crying. LMAO. Nah I unblocked you cause it's fun to laugh when you get triggered. :)

Stay mad!
Lol yep you caught me. I'm the mad one.

who?

c'mon, man......dude sucks

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
tenor.gif
It's okay little buddy.

who?

c'mon, man......dude sucks
Eh. Worse QB's have been traded for a bigger haul than a second rounder.

Still think we should have gotten more. Dunno what the $ would have been like or if it was feasible but couldn't they have done a Cassel style franchise and trade?

Going over and over this is meaningless. It was circumstances. Because of other circumstances, we got Cam Newton for practically nothing. I’ll take Cam over Jimmy.

Now, if we could just get a decent receiver...

I understand it would have been difficult to keep him. We did have the cap space to franchise him but not after we signed Gilmore and some other guys. Would have been nice though. For the hand wringing about not having a post-Brady plan - he was the plan and he was sent packing.

I just question that a 2nd rounder was the best we could have done looking back. Jimmy is a starting caliber QB in the league that can play for many years, if he's healthy. He's also a winner, and a guy that went to a SB too. Those QB's are not that common.
At the time, I felt we got absolutely robbed, now I feel differently. The trade was a fair one, all things considered and what they’ve gotten in return so far. JG has been a disappointment for most 49ers fans who thought they were getting the second coming. Now, if there’s any trade you want to ***** about, ***** about the Sanu trade. THAT was brutal!!!

All of those are very easy to consider in retrospect.

At the time, everything was virtually an unknown. Would Jimmy G become a franchise QB? Would Brady fall off a cliff? Would, would, would.

At the time, I felt we got absolutely robbed, now I feel differently. The trade was a fair one, all things considered and what they’ve gotten in return so far. JG has been a disappointment for most 49ers fans who thought they were getting the second coming. Now, if there’s any trade you want to ***** about, ***** about the Sanu trade. THAT was brutal!!!
Yeah that's exactly what happens when you're desperate- you get fleeced.

Were they were that desperate to trade JG and take what they could get? I don't think they were up against any clock or anything, not that I remember. Franchise and trade was (I think) an option. Did it with Cassel.

JG is a starting caliber QB and a good one, Belichick always felt that way despite his limited snaps, he's not a backup disguised as a starter like you see around the league. Those have a lot of value and they're not that easy to find available in a trade.

All of those are very easy to consider in retrospect.

At the time, everything was virtually an unknown. Would Jimmy G become a franchise QB? Would Brady fall off a cliff? Would, would, would.
True. Purely in retrospect they should have done what it took to keep JG. But it feels like they were in a hurry to push JG out the door and took less than they should have gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes