PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sherman Signs with 49ER'S (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure what the health status is, but if he is healthy why not kick the tires. say what you want about him but the dude is smart and an upgrade over what we have now. Would rather keep Butler, but that ship has sailed and will be expensive
This guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Butler.

I'm not saying his height is the reason we wouldn't sign him. If you look at our recent Corners we have signed they have all be 6ft+

Butler and JJ both under 6'. That's why Pats signed taller cbs. You need BOTH.

Sherman's market will be high but it's up to him if he wants to play here.

i would think NE has some interest at least considering they were in negotiations to acquire talib a few days ago...

Butler and JJ both under 6'. That's why Pats signed taller cbs. You need BOTH.

I'm not saying we don't need smaller or taller corners. JJ and CJ are both smaller corners, there is nothing say we don't pick another smaller corner either. I'm Just saying if its between Mathieu and Sherman i'm taking Sherman.

with Sherman representing himself, I'm sure that the Pats are going to make absolutely sure that his release is official and all the proper notifications were made before calling Sherman, just to make sure they are not accused of tampering.

And Browner played well

True. But that secondary probably would have been a total disaster without him and Revis. Meanwhile, that DL was solid and the LBs were pretty good.

This season, the secondary won't be as good without Sherman, but it's unlikely to be a total disaster, either. Meanwhile, the DL and LBs need help to avoid continuing as the disasters they were in 2017.

If that Pats can scrape up $7M in cap space to pay Sherman, as glorious as that might make the secondary, I think it's smarter, and more beneficial to the defense overall, to invest that in the DL and/or LBs instead.

with Sherman representing himself, I'm sure that the Pats are going to make absolutely sure that his release is official and all the proper notifications were made before calling Sherman, just to make sure they are not accused of tampering.

I’m sure they have some sort of computer system where teams can log on and see who’s been officially released, etc.

I'm not saying we don't need smaller or taller corners. JJ and CJ are both smaller corners, there is nothing say we don't pick another smaller corner either. I'm Just saying if its between Mathieu and Sherman i'm taking Sherman.

Well if they both wanted the same $, that be a very dumb choice.
There's no question honey badger is a superior player to a 100% healthy Sherman at this point in his career.
But Sherman is primarily an outside cb.
He's not horrible in the slot, but not great either.
Mathieu can play a # of positions, both safety positions plus slot corner.
He's also got an injury history, but he's only 26.
But it's probably all moot,anyway. Mathieu likely cost too much.
I'd be very happy with Sherman if he could still play. That would automatically make JJ the #3 over Rowe, which is a good thing.

I don't know why I'm so excited this is going to happen
I need to switch gears and expect him to sign with the Niners or Chargers that way I can go we are on to Cyrus Jones and Eric Rowe.
And go back to begging for a elite pass rush.

Well if they both wanted the same $, that be a very dumb choice.
There's no question honey badger is a superior player to a 100% healthy Sherman at this point in his career.
But Sherman is primarily an outside cb.
He's not horrible in the slot, but not great either.
Mathieu can play a # of positions, both safety positions plus slot corner.
He's also got an injury history, but he's only 26.
But it's probably all moot,anyway. Mathieu likely cost too much.
I'd be very happy with Sherman if he could still play. That would automatically make JJ the #3 over Rowe, which is a good thing.

Fair Enough. At this moment in time I'd just prefer to have Sherman

True. But that secondary probably would have been a total disaster without him and Revis. Meanwhile, that DL was solid and the LBs were pretty good.

This season, the secondary won't be as good without Sherman, but it's unlikely to be a total disaster, either. Meanwhile, the DL and LBs need help to avoid continuing as the disasters they were in 2017.

If that Pats can scrape up $7M in cap space to pay Sherman, as glorious as that might make the secondary, I think it's smarter, and more beneficial to the defense overall, to invest that in the DL and/or LBs instead.
Here's how I think of it: If you sign a good CB in free agency, you don't need to draft one with your top picks. Instead, you can fill up 3 needs with those 3 top picks - including DL and LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back