PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sherman Signs with 49ER'S (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the size i think that will make the difference. Think Sherman is around 6ft 2? and Mathieu is around 5ft9?

The role would be different though. Mathieu would be perfect for the role they tried to have Chung play in the SB, someone who can flow between playing both safety positions and corner back (basically slot corner). His presence would be the one that finally knocks Jordan Richards off the roster.

Eric Rowe isn't a star and has weaknesses, but he's not one of the problems the team has. That's who Sherman replaces. Jordan Richards is one of the problems, and the lack of someone who could play slot corner when Jones or someone who could play strong safety when Chung gets hurt does.

Disagree Mathieu has more postition flexibility is younger hits harder but Is a head case and had a drug problem back In college.
Too many red flags plus he's only looking to cash in.
Where Richard may actually want to be a part of a championship football team.

Literally nothing you said about Mathieu's character has been remotely true since he was in college.

If anything, his injury history is concerning.

It's the size i think that will make the difference. Think Sherman is around 6ft 2? and Mathieu is around 5ft9?

Mathieu is a safety who can play slot corner, so it's not a clear 1:1 situation. But Mathieu's much younger (turning 26 in May), and has more long term potential, as a result. A healthy (successful rehabs) Sherman makes more sense for 2018, but I think Mathieu makes more sense overall, and we don't know that Sherman's actually going to be 100% successful in his rehabs.

I agree

But why not both

You've got to find the

8efb51cdb9ed2b08a7e4fe667d2cd53d.jpg

The role would be different though. Mathieu would be perfect for the role they tried to have Chung play in the SB, someone who can flow between playing both safety positions and corner back (basically slot corner). His presence would be the one that finally knocks Jordan Richards off the roster.

I'm listening...

not sure what the health status is, but if he is healthy why not kick the tires. say what you want about him but the dude is smart and an upgrade over what we have now. Would rather keep Butler, but that ship has sailed and will be expensive

I thought "kicking the tires" was how he injured his Achilles in the first place, wasn't it?

Size is irrelevant. If you can play, you can play. The best secondary mix includes some taller,some shorter. Gilmore and Rowe(a decent #3 or #4, but not a good option at 2) are taller, JJ is shorter. Mathieu at this point is a better player but there's 2 issues: how good will Sherman be post-achilles and how much $ will Mathieu want. Sherman probably a much cheaper option, so if he checks out medically, he seems more likely.
Pats still gotta pay Solder- he's way more important than either if those guys.

Similar deal as Revis isn't a bargain contract. It would pay him $12m in 2018 which was more than what he would have made if Seattle kept him

I think he meant a deal with a structure like the Revis deal, not with the same numbers.

Adjustable-rate mortgage with an opt-out clause. Cheap payment in 2019; balloon payment in 2019 that the team can walk away from.

"Vegas odds makers" favored our beloved team to defeat the Eagles...

Richard Sherman is NOT signing a bargain budget contract to play here.

Believe it when you see it.

Do you understand what odds are?

Sherman showed a lot of character at the end of SB 49 when instead of joining in all the fracas, he just extended a congratulatory hand to Brady. You know he had to be dying inside, but he showed a lot of class at that moment.

I hope they pick him up.

Yes, he did. Watching that clip with Tom on his knee, taking in the moment. Sherman is a class act and his slap on the helmet after "you're a great player" told me all I need to know about him as a man. I hope I would act like that if in his shoes. I was a sore loser in JV tennis, and this guy acts like a total professional on the biggest stage imaginable. I would love him to be a Patriot.

If were willing to give suspended Brandon Browner $5 million a year as CB2 when the cap was $40 million less....

The Pats had more cap space then, and not as many needs on defense other than in the secondary.

Mathieu is a safety who can play slot corner, so it's not a clear 1:1 situation. But Mathieu's much younger (turning 26 in May), and has more long term potential, as a result. A healthy (successful rehabs) Sherman makes more sense for 2018, but I think Mathieu makes more sense overall, and we don't know that Sherman's actually going to be 100% successful in his rehabs.

Well I bet on sherman being 100 percent because the guy's a hard worker. We will see

Size is irrelevant. If you can play, you can play. The best secondary mix includes some taller,some shorter. Gilmore and Rowe(a decent #3 or #4, but not a good option at 2) are taller, JJ is shorter. Mathieu at this point is a better player but there's 2 issues: how good will Sherman be post-achilles and how much $ will Mathieu want. Sherman probably a much cheaper option, so if he checks out medically, he seems more likely.
Pats still gotta pay Solder- he's way more important than either if those guys.

I'm not saying his height is the reason we wouldn't sign him. If you look at our recent Corners we have signed they have all be 6ft+

So it's not irrelevant then...

Jeez,man talk about nitpicky.
No, it's not irrelevant "in general".
I was strictly referring to the choice of Sherman vs. Matthieu.
Since the Pats already have a mix of longer and shorter, size would really not be a factor if it came down to a choice between those 2. The biggest factors would obviously be Sherman's health and honey badgers $.
They also play different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back