PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Serious question: does BB really have a "type" at QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Other than being physically able to throw a football, is there really any common thread about the QBs the Pats have picked since Brady?

• Davey: big arm, terrible fit
  • Cassel: no game tape
  • O'Connell: strong arm, panicked under pressure
  • Hoyer: poised, smallish
  • Robinson: smallish, good stats (in Big XII)
  • Mallett: cannon arm, little touch
  • Garoppolo: smallish, no playbook offense
  • Brissett: strong, struggled with deep throws
I guess my point is simply this—I have no idea who BB thinks should be the next attempt at a QB of the future. Honestly, I think it could be anyone from Lamar Jackson to Kyle Lauletta to Chad Kanoff.

Other than being physically able to throw a football, is there really any common thread about the QBs the Pats have picked since Brady?

• Davey: big arm, terrible fit
  • Cassel: no game tape
  • O'Connell: strong arm, panicked under pressure
  • Hoyer: poised, smallish
  • Robinson: smallish, good stats (in Big XII)
  • Mallett: cannon arm, little touch
  • Garoppolo: smallish, no playbook offense
  • Brissett: strong, struggled with deep throws
I guess my point is simply this—I have no idea who BB thinks should be the next attempt at a QB of the future. Honestly, I think it could be anyone from Lamar Jackson to Kyle Lauletta to Chad Kanoff.
I think if you look at that list (you missed a couple , kliff kingsbury, Matt Gutierrez) and FAs he has brought in you see guys expected to become pocket passers. Their level of quality depends a lot on where they were drafted.
I keep thinking the target is Luke falk with the later 2nd or the 3rd.
And waiting another year is an option as well.

I think if you look at that list (you missed a couple , kliff kingsbury, Matt Gutierrez) and FAs he has brought in you see guys expected to become pocket passers. Their level of quality depends a lot on where they were drafted.
I keep thinking the target is Luke falk with the later 2nd or the 3rd.
And waiting another year is an option as well.

Why shop in the bargain basement for Brady's replacement? If an elite talent drops to you at 23....you grab him!

Why shop in the bargain basement for Brady's replacement? If an elite talent drops to you at 23....you grab him!
Because there won’t be an elite talent at 23 and the team has other needs.
And falk is probably the best qb on the board at 23.

Because there won’t be an elite talent at 23 and the team has other needs.
And falk is probably the best qb on the board at 23.

Good chance Jackson drops to 23. He's a talent above falk

• Agree
Reactions: SNL
As a prerequisite, the Pats look for a QB with a decent arm. It doesn't need to be Elite, but it needs to a good NFL caliber arm. Beyond that I think they look for work ethic, leadership & someone that can be coached. Ultimately the QB needs to be accurate & to be able to make good quick decisions, but I think they believe those traits can be learned if someone has the right make-up & work ethic.

Both TB12 & JG were outstanding leaders with off the charts intangibles. With McDaniels staying on, if they can find another QB with these qualities, they'll strike gold again. The more I hear about Josh Allen, who Lombardi said was loved by his teammates in the Senior Bowl, the more I think he might be the stealth target for the Pats. He has all the physical qualities & could be trained by McDaniels to be an elite NFL QB. I think they could do the same with Jackson, if they think he has the right make-up.

Think...why did Brady replace Bledsoe?

Belechick will pick a QB that can best approximate what he wants HIS offense to do...IN ALL PHASES of the offense.

Belichick does not always draft players he thinks can be a starter ...
So it's kind of imperfect to look at that list as does he have a type.
I think he likes talent - some of it obvious and some of it buried and maybe he can get it out.

I think he will draft a QB or 2 that he thinks are best suited to exploit future defenses.
That's pretty much what he does with most positions ... field a team best suited to exploit.

Last edited:
As a prerequisite, the Pats look for a QB with a decent arm. It doesn't need to be Elite, but it needs to a good NFL caliber arm. Beyond that I think they look for work ethic, leadership & someone that can be coached. Ultimately the QB needs to be accurate & to be able to make good quick decisions, but I think they believe those traits can be learned if someone has the right make-up & work ethic.

Both TB12 & JG were outstanding leaders with off the charts intangibles. With McDaniels staying on, if they can find another QB with these qualities, they'll strike gold again. The more I hear about Josh Allen, who Lombardi said was loved by his teammates in the Senior Bowl, the more I think he might be the stealth target for the Pats. He has all the physical qualities & could be trained by McDaniels to be an elite NFL QB. I think they could do the same with Jackson, if they think he has the right make-up.

I agree with everything about this post....but you got the wrong QB from the Senior Bowl.

Mike White met all those requirements but with a better football IQ than Josh Allen.

Of the 4 qbs at the top, Allen has the highest ceiling. Just need to let him sit and learn.

I think they won't draft a QB this year. I think they use their picks this year to move up in next year's draft and grab someone there.

What is he looking for? I believe it has to be someone who can stand in the pocket and handle the pressure as well as deciphering the opposing defense. Sounds like a tough find.

Would he draft Lamar Jackson? Originally I thought no but then wondered what would have an RGIII, Randall Cunningham or Mike Vick been like under BB and JM? Could be interesting and definitely some edge of your seat type football.

A question I've been pondering lately is what would the best type of QB be for a post Brady Pats? A pocket passer would possibly have to live under Brady's shadow while a highlight reel making scrambler may not or at least not as much. So to me Lamar Jackson would be an interesting pick from that aspect as well.

Anyway I'll root for whomever they pick and I'll give him time to grow.

It's been and still is a wonderful ride.

Serious question: does BB really have a "type" at QB?

Yes, and I'd say Brady is his QB soul mate

Give BB a lemon and he'll make lemonade
Give BB a tuna and he'll make tuna salad (or send him out to talk to the media)
Basically, he'll leverage any strength and minimize any weakness

I think they won't draft a QB this year. I think they use their picks this year to move up in next year's draft and grab someone there.

What is he looking for? I believe it has to be someone who can stand in the pocket and handle the pressure as well as deciphering the opposing defense. Sounds like a tough find.

Would he draft Lamar Jackson? Originally I thought no but then wondered what would have an RGIII, Randall Cunningham or Mike Vick been like under BB and JM? Could be interesting and definitely some edge of your seat type football.

A question I've been pondering lately is what would the best type of QB be for a post Brady Pats? A pocket passer would possibly have to live under Brady's shadow while a highlight reel making scrambler may not or at least not as much. So to me Lamar Jackson would be an interesting pick from that aspect as well.

Anyway I'll root for whomever they pick and I'll give him time to grow.

It's been and still is a wonderful ride.

Curious wondering why you think they won't draft a QB this year.

There can't be a better year than this year.

One of Mayfield Allen Rosen will fall as will Jackson make it to at least 15 will be interesting to see what the Patriots think of the players.

I think he will draft a QB or 2 that he thinks are best suited to exploit future defenses.
That's pretty much what he does with most positions ... field a team best suited to exploit.

This.

I don't think that BB has ever really been looking for Brady v2.0. I don't think he's that foolish. Garoppolo seems to have come close in many respects, but I think that was just happenstance.

I think that BB's just looking for a guy who he thinks can help him win future football games, and that he has his own ideas about what that's going to require of a starting QB.

There may be one or two prospects in this QB class who he thinks come close enough to offering that potential to spend a pick on one (or both) of them. That may include one or more of the most highly-touted prospects - including Jackson. It may not.

It may be that he thinks NONE of them come close enough and then not draft any of them.

It may be that he's identified one or two guys whose ceiling is slightly higher than Hoyer and selects one of them (late round or UDFA) to develop as a longer term backup (although most fans will criticize the selection for not being "the next Brady).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back