PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Was the Patriots' interest in Baker Mayfield real?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Were the Patriots really interested in Mayfield?

• Yes

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Between that trade and a potential Gronkowski trade (that also didn't happen, obviously), they would have had plenty of capital to move up to 2.
They were never trading gronk.

I sure was wrong about Mayfield and my hope he'd land with the Jete. I thought he would self-destruct from immaturity/selfishness but has proven the best by far of this year's rookie QBs.
Told ya.

Was the interest real? I'm sure it was. Would Mayfield's agent be privy to Belichick's draft plans? *%$# NO!
@ctpatsfan77 thank you for including all the options in the poll. Just as an observation it is always better when we include the second victim.

RLKAG(P2)

That must be why Gronkowski threatened to retire if he were traded then.
You have it backwards.
Gronk was staying away and sending cryptic messages.
The patriots called his bluff and said ok if you don’t want to be here we will trade you at which point he came in and said he wants to be here.

ESPN's Adam Schefter: Patriots planned to trade Rob Gronkowski for draft picks

Deal was in place before Gronk shut it down by either retiring/only playing for the pats.
Come on.
First of all you left out the “all but” before in place.
But you don’t find it interesting that it’s detroit, and that it resulted in a guy who wouldn’t talk about whether he would play this year coming in and committing to playing?
Right after the stupid motocross thing?
It was a move to get gronk to tell them what he wanted.
If he said he was retiring unless they traded him they would have traded him, but there was never a serious attempt to tear him.

I'm sure they liked him. The #2 pick thing was BS but we knew that.

I don’t buy it. Such a move would have been 100% inconsistent with the draft philosophy we’ve seen them employ for almost 2 decades.

I don’t buy it. Such a move would have been 100% inconsistent with the draft philosophy we’ve seen them employ for almost 2 decades.

True, but we’re also talking about moving up for the most important position on the team, the guy after brady who will hopefully be leading this franchise the next decade plus. Baker moving up into the top 2 most likely killed any hopes but If we was there even at the 8-12 range I could’ve definitely seen us attempt to go get him. Jets rediculous overpay to move to 3 killed any chances of moving all the way to 2.

A draft philosophy that’s been done in the context of having a quality (and then some) starting QB.

There’s no inconsistency in doing something different to get the next quality starting QB.

Mayfield can thank the Pats for having “interest” as it shot him up the draftboards overnight. He was about the 4th rated QB for a long time until then.

I think they would have traded into the top 10 for him with ease but not the top 2. It’s a shame. He would have been the perfect heir apparent for Brady.

Players shooting/rising up boards is another draft myth that has to stop.

Very few, if any, really rise. And Baker definitely wasn't one of those players. He's been a high profile player for years.

It's just the media has no idea what these boards look like.

No team is drafting the #1 overall player without months of prep. It wasn't a coin flip the night before. Baker was Dorsey's guy long before draft night.

Also if Bill is staying on & drafting a young QB or falls in love w one I wouldn't put anything past him.

Weve never been in this position before so you can't look to the past for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft