PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Was the Patriots' interest in Baker Mayfield real?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Were the Patriots really interested in Mayfield?

• Yes

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots.

Baker Mayfield's agent: Patriots were going to move up to No. 2 to draft QB if Browns hadn't taken him

So, given what we've seen so far, what do you think of the Pats' alleged interest in Mayfield?

I'm not buying it, but who knows

Maybe, it’s a common tactic to use the Pats to sell a draft pick. I’d guess it didn’t happen.

Maybe, it’s a common tactic to use the Pats to sell a draft pick. I’d guess it didn’t happen.

I didn't quote this, but Mayfield had initially declined to meet with the Patriots until after they traded Cooks (because he didn't think there was any way that he could end up in NE).

I didn't quote this, but Mayfield had initially declined to meet with the Patriots until after they traded Cooks (because he didn't think there was any way that he could end up in NE).
What does Cooks have to do with it?

They may have been exploring options for an extra pick from the Gronkowski trade that never was; otherwise, I’d find it difficult to imagine Bill giving up the necessary capital that it would’ve taken.

I think the story is a bit misleading. I do think the Pats were interested and may have moved up to get him but not at #2. Leading up to the draft Mayfields draft stock suddenly started to rise and ultimately pushed him, deservedly, into a top five draft pick but if he had been available in the 15-20 range I do believe the Pats would have traded up to get him.

Anyway we ended up with the Etling gun which may turn out to be the best pick the Pats have ever used. :D

What does Cooks have to do with it?
Between that trade and a potential Gronkowski trade (that also didn't happen, obviously), they would have had plenty of capital to move up to 2.

I don't know...

Voted yes. First time, long time I didn’t choose my preferred RLKAG...

I think BB figured he’d be (1) available mid round (2) a guy to move up a few slots to grab (3) a winner in the league.

What he didn’t figure ? The Browns would make a good choice.

Yes. They were going to try for him

I sure was wrong about Mayfield and my hope he'd land with the Jete. I thought he would self-destruct from immaturity/selfishness but has proven the best by far of this year's rookie QBs.

We were interested, but didn't have the value (or probably interest) to move to 2.

Mayfield was projected to go in the mid to late 1st round before her shot up the board in the final weeks before the draft. We would have absolutely taken him if he had remained there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes