PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Tank Gate

Here is a direct quote from the filing, with bolding added by me.

Over the remaining year and a half of Mr. Flores tenure at the helm of the Miami Dolphins, he was routinely made to feel uncomfortable based upon his decision not tank in order to secure the top pick in the 2019 draft.

So, technically, it doesn't say whether or not he accepted 100K for each loss. But that would be completgely inconsistent with the assertion that he decided not to tank.

Hard to say. If Ross told him he gets a bonus for every loss, not losing some games wouldn’t mean he doesn’t get paid for the ones he did lose.
It just struck me as odd that the tampering claim forcefully said he wouldn’t do it but the 100k didn’t say he told him he didn’t want the money.

The purported basis for his termination was alleged poor collaboration,” Flores’s lawsuit says. “In reality, the writing had been on the wall since Mr. Flores’ first season as Head Coach of the Dolphins, when he refused his owner’s directive to ‘tank’ for the first pick in the draft. Indeed, during the 2019 season, Miami’s owner, Stephen Ross, told Mr. Flores that he would pay him $100,000 for every loss, and the team’s General Manager, Chris Grier, told Mr. Flores that ‘Steve’ was ‘mad’ that Mr. Flores’ success in winning games that year was ‘compromising [the team’s] draft position.’ ”
So that wording says he would be paid for the 11 losses, but he claims they were mad at him for not losing more than 11.

So that wording says he would be paid for the 11 losses, but he claims they were mad at him for not losing more than 11.

Im sorry what don’t you understand that I can explain in more detail to help you out.
Although im not sure why you would feel the need to disparage farmers.

I think that wording says he would be paid an EXTRA 100K, over and above salary, for each of the 11 losses. But he declined to cooperate.

I think that wording says he would be paid an EXTRA 100K, over and above salary, for each of the 11 losses. But he declined to cooperate.
I would expect it to be more clear if that was the case.
It says Ross told him he would pay him 100k per loss.
It also says Flores claims he was told by someone else that Ross was mad at him for not tanking.
It doesn’t say Flores refused the money.
These are attorneys writing this, so specificity is important.

The purported basis for his termination was alleged poor collaboration,” Flores’s lawsuit says. “In reality, the writing had been on the wall since Mr. Flores’ first season as Head Coach of the Dolphins, when he refused his owner’s directive to ‘tank’ for the first pick in the draft. Indeed, during the 2019 season, Miami’s owner, Stephen Ross, told Mr. Flores that he would pay him $100,000 for every loss, and the team’s General Manager, Chris Grier, told Mr. Flores that ‘Steve’ was ‘mad’ that Mr. Flores’ success in winning games that year was ‘compromising [the team’s] draft position.’ ”

I would expect it to be more clear if that was the case.
It says Ross told him he would pay him 100k per loss.
It also says Flores claims he was told by someone else that Ross was mad at him for not tanking.
It doesn’t say Flores refused the money.
These are attorneys writing this, so specificity is important.
Flores was already under contract as head coach, with a specified, exact, salary.

Then he was approached, while under contract, to make a "side deal" that he turned down. Turning down the side deal in no way negates him being paid the normal salary (not dependent on wins & losses).

Nobody is confused by this, it seems, other than you.

Flores was already under contract as head coach, with a specified, exact, salary.

Then he was approached, while under contract, to make a "side deal" that he turned down. Turning down the side deal in no way negates him being paid the normal salary (not dependent on wins & losses).

Nobody is confused by this, it seems, other than you.
You are assuming many things.
You could be right, but it’s just a guess.
The lawsuit doesn’t say anything about a side deal, it said he told him he would him 100k per loss.
The lawsuit dues not say he turned it down, it says he claims the GM told him Ross was mad because they didn’t lose enough to get the first pick.
If Ross told him he was doing it, that’s not an offer to accept or deny.
If the lawsuit says Ross OFFERED HIM 100k per loss and Flores turned it down, then I would agree with you, but that’s not what the lawsuit says.

Remember when Andy was arguing with himself? Classic.

View attachment 40970
Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

This is the funniest post I have seen since Kontra's pics of Mahomes fiance

It’s a gimmick. Quoting a post to expand upon the post is not arguing with it.
Could be .. but you started the post with „you claim..“ and there was no reference to a post from another poster

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back