PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Chandler Jones requests trade

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Should we bring him back?

N'Keal and a 3rd for Jones?

Feels like if his issue is with long term contract commitment, and that's partially why he was moved out of here to begin with, it's unlikely the Patriots are the place to bring him back.

Unhappy with his contract is the key word there. Guys like DeMarcus Lawerence, Frank Clark and Trey Flowers are massive overpays and I don’t blame Jones to want more money. However, his timing was poor.

Bill traded him because he didn’t want to pay him. Why would he want him back now?

If his contract wasn’t in issue, I’d say yes.

Chandler is a future hall of famer. Would be open to negotiations depending on the price to trade.

Assume NKeal has zero value in any trade (I would still throw him in though).

I'd also throw in whoever hasn't made the leap amongst Uche or Winovich plus Bentley. We have too many okay'ish bodies now in the Front7 and are still missing a bonafide NT fat guy.

Chandler is a future hall of famer. Would be open to negotiations depending on the price to trade.

Assume NKeal has zero value in any trade (I would still throw him in though).

I'd also throw in whoever hasn't made the leap amongst Uche or Winovich plus Bentley. We have too many okay'ish bodies now in the Front7 and are still missing a bonafide NT fat guy.

I don't know about that on the Hall-of-Fame. He's solid, sure, but HOF? Pump the brakes.

I don't know about that on the Hall-of-Fame. He's solid, sure, but HOF? Pump the brakes.

He's a Superbowl Champ and look at his stats, he's been a top2 pass rusher for the past decade. Made the NFL all-decade team as well.

He's a Superbowl Champ and look at his stats, he's been a top2 pass rusher for the past decade.

I'm not an expert historian on the Hall of Fame, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't often hear Super Bowl wins brought up often when talking about HoF credentials outside of the QB position.

He's a Superbowl Champ and look at his stats, he's been a top2 pass rusher for the past decade. Made the NFL all-decade team as well.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen guys I'd rather have had on my DL than Chandler Jones pretty much any year since he's come into the league. Good solid player, but not a Watt or a Donald or a bunch of others. Sacks are one (very minor) part of the game.

Bill the GM made a terrible decision trading him for a pick (which was used to reach for an OL from NC State) and giving the contract that should have went to him for some garbage CB from the Bildos.

Bill the GM made a terrible decision trading him for a pick (which was used to reach for an OL from NC State) and giving the contract that should have went to him for some garbage CB from the Bildos.
If I recall the trade was for Jonathan Cooper.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen guys I'd rather have had on my DL than Chandler Jones pretty much any year since he's come into the league. Good solid player, but not a Watt or a Donald or a bunch of others. Sacks are one (very minor) part of the game.
A dozen guys huh?

Sacks are measured because that means the player actually got to the QB forcing a guaranteed negative play. Nobody measures a guy based on almost getting to a QB.

Most Pats fans on here are in denial or don’t like it when a player actually does well when leaving and Jones is that rare player. Since leaving the Pats, he’s been in conversation for DPOTY several times and either leading the league in sacks or being close to it. You’re not getting sacks at the rate he has just being just a “good solid” player. Some fans on here can’t admit he was misused in NE.

It’s funny how this board will take a guy good for 12-15 sacks a year and down play him over a guy who barely musters 6-8 sacks a year.

Last edited:
A dozen guys huh?

Sacks are measured because that means the player actually got to the QB forcing a guaranteed negative play. Nobody measures a guy based on almost getting to a QB.

Most Pats fans on here are in denial or don’t like it when a player actually does well when leaving and Jones is that rare player. Since leaving the Pats, he’s been in conversation for DPOTY several times and either leading the league in sacks or being close to it. You’re not getting sacks being just a “good” player. Some fans on here can’t admit he was misused in NE.

It’s funny how this board will take a guy good for 12-15 sacks a year and down play him over a guy who barely musters 6-8 sacks a year.
The fact that you've heard these counterarguments before and you still don't understand how defensive line production on this team works says a lot.

Instead of paying top dollar for one 12-15 sacks guy (who might get hurt or can be easily game planned for) they pay for three 6-8 sack type players who if one gets hurt still has great odds to get the same production.

As was stated they also use that money on CB which impacts more total plays and is much more difficult to gameplan "out" than the "high sack" DE. But these are all known points.

A dozen guys huh?

Most Pats fans on here are in denial or don’t like it when a player actually does well when leaving and Jones is that rare player. Since leaving the Pats, he’s been in conversation for DPOTY several times and either leading the league in sacks or being close to it. You’re not getting sacks at the rate he has just being just a “good solid” player. Some fans on here can’t admit he was misused in NE.

I agree that this board has gone overboard with regards to "sacks don't matter..., etc...". But I don't think it's all the difficult to find 12 DL/Edge players people might want over Chandler Jones. Some will be obvious (Aaron Donald), some will be positionally arguable (Shaq Barrett), and some will just be talent/impact questionable (Jonathan Allen), but I think finding 12 "DL" that people could reasonably choose over Jones is not a hill to die on.

I agree that this board has gone overboard with regards to "sacks don't matter..., etc...". But I don't think it's all the difficult to find 12 DL/Edge players people might want over Chandler Jones. Some will be obvious (Aaron Donald), some will be positionally arguable (Shaq Barrett), and some will just be talent/impact questionable (Jonathan Allen), but I think finding 12 "DL" that people could reasonably choose over Jones is not a hill to die on.
I’d narrow it down to stand up LB/Edge as that’s what he is in AZ.

It’s only a matter of time before he’s a cap casualty, but I don’t think he fits in NE anymore.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back