PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Chandler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinlik

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Scott Chandler

Hi guys and girls. This is the second article in my series of breakdowns of Patriots free agent signings. . This time of former Bills tight end, Scott Chandler. Lots of gifs and pictures. I hope you enjoy it.

In short he's a very tall tight end who makes his living in the seam. He's not strong or fast. But because of his size a QB can often throw him open even if a defender is close by. He's not that good of a blocker, but should be our best backup Y tight end. I don't see him gettin too many catches as there are only so many balls, but I think he will be a very solid backup Y tight end.

Here's the article: §https://marinlik.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/free-agent-spotlight-scott-chandler/

Great stuff again, thanks. We got away without having a guy behind Gronk last year, I feel much better with Chandler signed up. I think your conclusions will be spot on - Gronk backup, better receiver than Hooman, better blocker than Wright. And redzone potential.

My one tiny moan about this piece is that he is a better blocker than his reputation. Other than that, good job!

I think chandler is a better player than this piece says

Scott Chandler

Hi guys and girls. This is the second article in my series of breakdowns of Patriots free agent signings. . This time of former Bills tight end, Scott Chandler. Lots of gifs and pictures. I hope you enjoy it.

In short he's a very tall tight end who makes his living in the seam. He's not strong or fast. But because of his size a QB can often throw him open even if a defender is close by. He's not that good of a blocker, but should be our best backup Y tight end. I don't see him gettin too many catches as there are only so many balls, but I think he will be a very solid backup Y tight end.

Here's the article: §https://marinlik.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/free-agent-spotlight-scott-chandler/

I expect us to return to heavy usage of the 2 TE offense and having Chandler to play in line, will allow us to move Gronk all over the field.

He's gonna have loads of fun at practice.

Have his contract details been released yet?

My one tiny moan about this piece is that he is a better blocker than his reputation. Other than that, good job!

He's definitely an OK blocker. He's definitely a couple of steps above the likes of Jimmy Graham when it comes to blocking. But he's also a bunch of steps below guys like Gronkowski. He's somewhere in between those two ends of the spectrum.

I think chandler is a better player than this piece says
I don't think that he is bad. I think that he is a good solid tight end that should be good for around 500y and 5tds a season. I think that his yardage will decline in our offense, but I think his touchdowns will go up as defenders will have more guys to focus on other than him now. I think that he will be a really big improvement over Hoomanawanui as the second Y tight end. Defenses will have to respect his ability to catch the ball much more.

He's definitely an OK blocker. He's definitely a couple of steps above the likes of Jimmy Graham when it comes to blocking. But he's also a bunch of steps below guys like Gronkowski. He's somewhere in between those two ends of the spectrum.

I don't think that he is bad. I think that he is a good solid tight end that should be good for around 500y and 5tds a season. I think that his yardage will decline in our offense, but I think his touchdowns will go up as defenders will have more guys to focus on other than him now. I think that he will be a really big improvement over Hoomanawanui as the second Y tight end. Defenses will have to respect his ability to catch the ball much more.

Chandler is a starter on probably 25+ teams. 500 yards and 5 TDs is great as a 2nd TE in NE considering Gronk got 1100 yards and 12 TDs. Chandler did fine when Ryan Fitzpatrick was his QB, so I'm expecting something similar in NE

I expect us to return to heavy usage of the 2 TE offense and having Chandler to play in line, will allow us to move Gronk all over the field.
I don't think that we will be close to number of times that we used it when we had Hernandez. But the number should definitely go up this year. You could say that we have two new good tight ends for the 2015 season, Wright and Chandler, because Wright came in after OTAs and training camp and all that preperation for the season.

I don't think that we will be close to number of times that we used it when we had Hernandez. But the number should definitely go up this year. You could say that we have two new good tight ends for the 2015 season, Wright and Chandler, because Wright came in after OTAs and training camp and all that preperation for the season.
I'm expecting Wright to be about the same as he was last year.
I'm expecting the 2 TE to be our base offense in 2015.

Does that change in your eyes if we do sign Stevie Johnson? We'd have an abundance of wideouts at that point.
Not really. I see this as a way to recreate the mismatches of Gronk and the Murderer, but this time having Gronk as the wild card player.
It doesn't mean we won't use 3 wides, but that our base personnel will be 1-2-2, at least IMO.

Does that change in your eyes if we do sign Stevie Johnson? We'd have an abundance of wideouts at that point.
Also, I don't see Stevie Johnson as a guy we build scheme around but more of a guy in the mix to compete for some playing time at WR.

Not really. I see this as a way to recreate the mismatches of Gronk and the Murderer, but this time having Gronk as the wild card player.

Got it, thanks - that makes good sense.

Scott Chandler

Thank you for the nice breakdown. It was well put together. I also read some of the other articles on your blog, including the Jabaal Sheard one. Great work!

BTW, this year, the average offensive play (regular season only) had ~1.45 TEs on the field.

In other words, they were running 2+-TE sets about 40% of the time or so. In 2011, it was about 75% of the time (GRONK played almost 95% of snaps, so it was pretty much a 2-TE set whenever the Prisoner was on the field).

All plays are not created equal. If this guy gets a bunch of 3rd down conversions and some touchdowns, I don't care what his stats are. Also makes covering him and Gronk a nightmare, as well as having at least a decent extra blocker on runs/screens etc.

I wonder if BB was inspired by that tall no name on seattle making those big catches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back