PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Trent Brown 4 years $66 million with Oakland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a feeling this will end up being a bad deal for oakland.

He was traded from San fran to New England for peanuts because of his apparent lack of motor. Put it together for a year here in a contract year and his last chance to prove himself and now scored a big contract.

What are the chances a guy with motivation problems performs as well once hes got that contract.

What I said was "we don't win the SB without him" is hyperbole. Which it is.
Trent Brown had a good year for the Patriots but giving him credit for the SB victory is the sort of hyperbole I would expect from his agent.

Got it. Carry on with your Andy Johnson word twisting line of thinking simply for the sake argument.

Have a feeling this will end up being a bad deal for oakland.

He was traded from San fran to New England for peanuts because of his apparent lack of motor. Put it together for a year here in a contract year and his last chance to prove himself and now scored a big contract.

What are the chances a guy with motivation problems performs as well once hes got that contract.
Time will tell.

Trent Brown had a good season and I would have supported him staying but not at those dollars. Talk about overpaying for one year of production. Can’t see this turning out well for the Raiders.

Got it. Carry on with your Andy Johnson word twisting line of thinking simply for the sake argument.

It's not for the sake of argument. It's pointing out outrageous hyperbole and strawman arguments.

Sorry to see him go. Gruden playing chess while we wont spend...

What about Wynn?

I wouldnt have paid Brown that much. He overachieved in NE. Fat and happy, the only place for his play to go is down.

Trent Brown had a good season and I would have supported him staying but not at those dollars. Talk about overpaying for one year of production. Can’t see this turning out well for the Raiders.

No QB.

Carr stinks.

Per Adam Schefter

March 11, 2020

LT Trent Brown was cut by the Oakland Raiders today. The Raiders save 21 million against their salary cap and pick up another locker since Brown occupied 2.

"The Raiders had $36 million committed to their offensive line in 2018, the fourth-most in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But that unit underperformed greatly in 2018, because according to ESPN's Pass Rush metrics powered by NFL Next Gen Stats, the Raiders had the third-LOWEST Pass Rush Win Rate in the NFL, sustaining their blocks for at least 2.5 seconds just 41 percent of the time. Enter...Trent Brown, until last year a career right tackle who is getting left tackle money from Oakland, which, drafted a pair of tackles in the first three rounds last year."

"The Raiders had $36 million committed to their offensive line in 2018, the fourth-most in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But that unit underperformed greatly in 2018, because according to ESPN's Pass Rush metrics powered by NFL Next Gen Stats, the Raiders had the third-LOWEST Pass Rush Win Rate in the NFL, sustaining their blocks for at least 2.5 seconds just 41 percent of the time. Enter...Trent Brown, until last year a career right tackle who is getting left tackle money from Oakland, which, drafted a pair of tackles in the first three rounds last year."
That is even worse than I thought they were. Wow! Brown won't solve those issues. No pressure Carr. Not like the weight of the world is on your shoulders now.

Well, since you're not mincing words here, I suppose I don't have to either: you're being a dumbass with a really stupid hot take. Making a post that's so full of obvious stupidity is bad enough in its own right, but whatever. To then double down and declare that I must not have watched OL play to disagree with your fundamentally ******ed take, though? To anyone who's remotely on the fence here: don't take OL tips from this guy. He has no ****ing clue what he's talking about.

I do have one question, though: you referenced Andrews and Thuney being "highly rated" to explain how you arrived at the conclusion that both were easily better than Brown. Who was it that was highly rating them, while not also highly rating Brown? I'm pretty sure you made that part up, but I'd be really curious to see who you're sourcing your opinions from on the off chance that you didn't.

Trent Brown was an above average LT last year, who played even better when the stakes were highest. He isn't worth the contract he just got, but he was certainly good, and he got the kind of contract that dumb teams give to good players with hard-to-find skills. Anyone who thinks he was one of the worst starting LTs in the league, as Einstein above me claimed, clearly didn't watch any of the ~12-15 teams with truly bad LTs play. Or they watched them once or twice, had no idea what they were watching, and decided those bad LTs were better than Brown because they remember a couple bad plays from
Brown that Tony Romo pointed out for them over a 16 game season.

Wow.
You really have no clue what you're talking about.
Anyone who's a serious NFL fan could plainly see the other 4 ol were better than brown, tho Cannon,just barely.
Mason, Thuney and Andrews were head and shoulders better. That's what I saw. That's also what any number of credible analysts saw as well. That's what most knowledgeable posters here saw all season . I don't include you there,obviously.
I don't put much stock in pff, but that's what they saw.
What I DO put stock in , is what is considered by most to be the most credible stat for ol, since they're just not a lot of stats for ol: PBWR.
I'm sure with your very limited knowledge, you have no idea what that is.
Pass Block Win Rate. It records how long an ol holds a block vs. a defender. Wouldn't you agree that's arguably the single most important stat for any ol?
A pass block " win" is considered to be anything over 2.5 seconds.
Shaq Mason and Joe Thuney were both top 10 in the NFL among ALL ol, including tackles. Andrews was above average. Cannon was slightly below average. Brown was WAY below average.
Case closed.
Ok, Ive presented some actual facts.
What you got? Anything?
Please show me anything from any source anywhere, even an opinion, from any analyst that shows brown was an above-average lt. He was below average.
I don't really expect a response.

Another thing to consider re: Trent Brown's future success: he's going from being coached by Dante to being coached by the awful Tom Cable.

No actually you are.
Back up your statement with facts. You can't.

Facts like "He's barely even top 10 on offense alone.", which is just an opinion you pulled out of your ass?

rofl.gif

Look, I get it. You often go full homer. The problem is that, when you do, you also often post really silly things, and it happened here.

Facts like "He's barely even top 10 on offense alone.", which is just an opinion you pulled out of your ass?

rofl.gif

Look, I get it. You often go full homer. The problem is that, when you do, you also often post really silly things, and it happened here.
My opinion.
He's barely top 10 offense.
1. Brady
2. Edelman
3. Mason
4. Gronk
5. Michel
6. Thuney
7. White
8. Andrews
You can argue the order of those but ALL of them were better than brown.
Brown is either #9 or #10 which of course makes him barely top 10.
There's a pile of defensive players who were better:
Gilmore,Flowers, KVN, Chung, Jackson, both mccourtys. You could argue a few more. So that puts him around #16.
You disagree with any of that?
Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself. As you like to say.

Since I'm the only one backing anything up with facts, here's another one:
Pats ranked #2 in the NFL ( tied) for best interior pressure allowed.
That's a direct reflection on Thuney, Andrews and Mason.
Those 3 were the REAL strength of our ol( along with Scar,of course).
The 2 tackles were the weakest links.
Still waiting for someone else to post facts.
Crickets.

My opinion.
He's barely top 10 offense.
1. Brady
2. Edelman
3. Mason
4. Gronk
5. Michel
6. Thuney
7. White
8. Andrews
You can argue the order of those but ALL of them were better than brown.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with your list, but it's clearly opinion, not factual and obviously not indisputable. There's not even a valid way of cross-referencing for comparisons. Just for an example that nobody probably saw coming this season:

How does one evaluate Gronk, with his missed games and his bad games, as being better than Brown over the course of the season? What metrics are there to come close to proving that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down