SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Frustrating Finish
Saturday night marked a frustrating end to New England's season, which now sets up some big questions heading into the offseason.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Schefter Rumor: QB Josh Rosen “could be” traded?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by UptownPatsFan, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78,973
    In any negotiation, each side needs leverage.

With an older QB with an uncertain future, Bill believes in long-term planning.

Are you disagreeing with those points?

2. SBLIII

SBLIII In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,420
    I agree. Js if they view Rosen as a dude I could understand it. I don't think Rosen is a longterm answer so would rather fill other needs

3. SBLIII

Ratings:
    +6,420
    I don't think even Brady wants 4 more years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SBLIII

Ratings:
    +6,420
    I agree. How many 42 years old QBs have even ever started a game in the league?

Bill will look for a QB very soon. Either this or next year.

5. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +20,015
    I think he does. But if you are in Bill’s position, are you comfortable giving him a 3 year extension, not knowing when that proverbial cliff is going to come?

6. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30,057
    Yes when it’s Tom Brady.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SBLIII

Ratings:
    +6,420
    I'm not. I don't think Bill is ok with wasting years just because what Tom did for this franchise. And there is no reference point for 42 year old QBs. The cliff can come at any point.

I think TB12 will be the QB for 1, maybe 2 more years. 4 is a long shot in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +78,973
    He'd be incredibly irresponsible not to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +20,015
    I think Jimmy G was brought on in 2014 because of Bill’s uncertainty of Brady’s level of play after 2013. Once Brady showed he was capable of playing well into his late 30s, Bill was comfortable. Now, Bill might be at that point where he is uncertain about Tom again.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. reamer

reamer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,823
    Rosen is a very nice passer. Give him a clean pocket and he makes all the throws with solid accuracy, anticipation, and timing. But there's more to quarterbacking a team than throwing the ball (which, incidentally, is why I hate using volume stats to determine how good a QB is -- sometimes the right move is checking into a run play). That's where I get concerned, and it's not the fluff about his hobbies or unsubstantiated rumors about supposedly rubbing coaches the wrong way. I don't really care about all of that. These are grown men and professionals; they'll deal with whatever.

No, the same concerns I've had in college have carried over to the pros. People like to point to how bad his OL was (and it wasn't great), but I can't tell you how many times he failed to see a clear blitz or pressure coming. He rarely seemed to slide protections or go to his hot read. Maybe that can be taught. But my problem is that he seems bright enough, and he gets all that in film study / whiteboard work, as you can see in any number of interviews or media workout sessions. The mental clock just moves too slowly on the field, and it seems to get worse the more the pressure gets turned up, just like we saw with Goff in the Super Bowl. Obviously no quarterback likes to have pressure in his face, but I came away from Rosen's college and pro games with a strong sense of that I don't have confidence in his abilities to elevate a team and push for a win by himself.

Put enough pieces around Rosen, and I think he can win. He can make the playoffs. He may even make it to a conference championship a couple times in his career. I do not believe, however, that he has the drive or determination to take a team to the next level. He'll struggle with quick processing and get shut down. Now, he's relatively smart, so he'll start to dissect what happened, but that's what will do him in because I don't think he's got the right perspective or ingredients. The problem I have with Rosen is that I'm willing to bet almost anything that he will find ways to explain all the factors that led to his performance, and he'll work on those various outside contingencies, and he'll think it's going to make a difference, instead of holding himself to a higher standard and striving to be better.

Maybe I'm wrong, but nothing we saw in his rookie season, which featured some of the worst stats of any QB in the entire NFL, gives me any hope for his future career trajectory.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +78,973
    Bill said why he drafted Jimmy. It was all about Tom's age and contract situation. Its the same exact situation in 2019.

I think 2013 was a challenging year for Tom as he lost Gronk for more than 1/2 the year and had to throw 141 times to rookies Dropson and JAG Thompkins in which they caught less than 1/2 of the balls thrown to them. Thats bad. By Tom's statistical standard he slipped but the # of weapons he had were limited to Jules and Danny. IMO Tom was still TB12.

Bill will certainly never tell us what his current personnel evaluation is of Tom but I'm pretty comfortable saying Bill would be more than fine with Tom starting in 2019. If they pull the trigger on Rosen it'll be more about 2020 and Brian Hoyer will be 34, Tom will be 43 and at present both will be FAs.

12. Zuma

Zuma PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,638
    Interesting that Etling traveled with the team for all the away games. Do you think the reason was to learn to be the "scout" QB as much as possible and as quickly as possible by spending maximum amount of time with the team in case someone like Rosen is traded and Hoyer is let go? IMO Etling will never be the answer to take us to the promised land and maybe they know that...but he could be the "scout" QB for many years to come.

13. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +78,973
    Not sure. In 2018 I think they wanted to have every opportunity to evaluate Etling and traveling with the team gave them that opportunity. They clearly thought he had shown enough to make them think he had room to improve and show more in 2019. They did the same thing with Brisket until they traded him.

Most likely. He seems like a career backup to me but you never know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53,779
    I am by no means a Rosen fan. I wasn't when he came out in the draft. But if you can poach him for a second round pick, I'd do it. Let him sit behind the GOAT and become the recipient of better coaching than what he had in Arizona last year. Given his tape at the pro level, everything considered, I HIGHLY doubt the Cardinals are going to get a first round pick for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. zimmy

zimmy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +746
    4 more years for Brady? He might not even want to play this year when he looks at the state of his receiving weapons.

I liked Rosen last year and if the price is a low second or a 3rd then sign me up. What's the worst that can happen? We don't need him and we trade him in a year or two. If Brady is still playing at a high level in 4 years we likely have another ring by then and I couldn't care less about giving up the pick now

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,985
    Competition means it's more than that.
    If their are legit 3 teams interested.

17. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53,779
    And if it is, then let Rosen go to another team. To date, he hasn't shown nearly enough at either the college or the pro level to warrant higher than a mid-second round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +33,141
    He is the one insisting repeatedly on 45.

Also it is March. It is absolutely irrelevant what the state of WR is right now. At this point people should just let Caserio and BB do their thing and have trust that it will work out yet again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,094
    Not coincidentally, 2018 was a similar year (but not quite as bad) to 2013 in terms of having relatively poor receiving options.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 203Pat

203Pat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,702
    If we could get Rosen for a third then by all means pull the trigger. He didn’t look great last year but that team was a mess. He could be Jared Goff and get a real coaching staff that utilizes his strengths and puts him in position to succeed. If the Cardinals want a 1st or 2nd round pick I’d be a little hesitant because of how shaky he looked last year. If he’s Matt Linehart and not Jared Goff then two teams got fooled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.