PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter Rumor: QB Josh Rosen “could be” traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Pats are absolutely interested in Rosen and I think part of their thinking is using Rosen as leverage vs Tom's contract negotiations.

BB in 2014 after drafting Jimmy

“The situation we have at quarterback, we felt as an organization that we needed to address that to some degree in the future,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. “See how that all works. I think you’re better being early rather than late at that position.”

"We know what Tom’s age and contract situation is. I don’t think you want to have one quarterback on your team. I don’t think that’s responsible to the entire team or the organization."

I think the Pats are absolutely interested in Rosen and I think part of their thinking is using Rosen as leverage vs Tom's contract negotiations.

BB in 2014 after drafting Jimmy
Disagree. Why would you leverage Brady’s contract negotiations?
Do you really think getting josh Rosen so you can cheap out on the GOAT or let him walk is sane?

Speaking in general terms, the Patriots want to do two things:
  • They want to be in the playoffs every year.
  • They want the best possible replacement for Brady when the time comes.
Unfortunately, those two are generally mutually exclusive.

I liked him as a QB coming out but I have 2 main concerns. 1. There are question marks about his character. This isn’t such a big deal for me because I think the Pats could handle it. And it’s not as though those character concerns are particularly bad (ie illegality/substance abuse).
2. What’s happening with Brady. Rosen would be on the books for four years it I’d want him starting in that time. I wouldn’t want to trade a 2nd rounder for another Jimmy G.

All in all though, I think a 2nd rounder for a potential future QBOTF is a risk worth taking and I’d be done with it so long as they think Brady won’t see out the next four years.

People are going to hate me for saying this, but there is no guarantee the Pats even want Brady for 4 years. His contract ends this year, and Bill may look at this as an opportunity to move on. What Brady wants (4 more years) and what Bill wants might not be the same.

Disagree. Why would you leverage Brady’s contract negotiations?
Do you really think getting josh Rosen so you can cheap out on the GOAT or let him walk is sane?

Define cheap out.

We have no idea what Tom is asking for in terms of money and years.

Biggest okie-doke in draft history when cards either trade the pick or take bosa.

I liked him as a QB coming out but I have 2 main concerns. 1. There are question marks about his character. This isn’t such a big deal for me because I think the Pats could handle it. And it’s not as though those character concerns are particularly bad (ie illegality/substance abuse).
2. What’s happening with Brady. Rosen would be on the books for four years it I’d want him starting in that time. I wouldn’t want to trade a 2nd rounder for another Jimmy G.

All in all though, I think a 2nd rounder for a potential future QBOTF is a risk worth taking and I’d be done with it so long as they think Brady won’t see out the next four years.
Here's the thing on Rosen from my point of view.

The main issue for me is time. How long is Brady going to play at a level that keeps us competitive. Last year looked like a step back. Was it because of the all the disruptions at WR, or was it simply a guy who is FINALLY getting old. Now I don't see a "cliff" drop off, but rather a simple "erosion" of skills.

So the question for the Pats is, is Brady our QB for the next year, 2, years, or 3. If they think it's only a year or 2, then Rosen becomes a great option....if its for a 2nd round pick. Regardless of what we saw with the disaster that was the Cardinals offense last year, he's a top 10 talent that could be had for a bargain basement price.

We have to get SOMEONE ready to replace Brady IF the team's prognosis is a one to two year window for Tom. However if they think that window is a 3 year one, then it's still too early to spend even a 2nd on a QB.

Personally I think the Brady era will end in 2020, and if Rosen can be gotten for say our late 2nd and a 3rd in 2020, I'd do it all day long. At worst it would light a fire under Brady for another season. At best we could have the QB of the future ready to go for the 2021 season.

People are going to hate me for saying this, but there is no guarantee the Pats even want Brady for 4 years. His contract ends this year, and Bill may look at this as an opportunity to move on. What Brady wants (4 more years) and what Bill wants might not be the same.

I said in the Gronk thread that his retirement was the start of the beginning of the end of this chapter. I have no problem with the Pats preparing for the start of the next chapter.

I don't like you saying it but I'm thinking the same exact thing.:p

I think Bill still very much wants Tom around but only at a certain price. For example if Tom is asking for $75m guaranteed I dont think that is something they are interested in doing.

Define cheap out.

We have no idea what Tom is asking for in terms of money and years.
It doesn’t matter. He will get it.
Telling him to go somewhere else and trading for josh Rosen would be the dumbest move in nfl history even dumber than the people who actually thought we would dump Brady and keep jimmy.

It doesn’t matter. He will get it.
Telling him to go somewhere else and trading for josh Rosen would be the dumbest move in nfl history even dumber than the people who actually thought we would dump Brady and keep jimmy.

He will get what? I highly doubt they will just give Tom whatever he wants. They never have and they never will. Its always been a compromise that Tom and the team agreed to.

Look, Bill wants Tom to stay. RK wants Tom to stay. Tom wants to stay. I'm confident they will figure something out but if Tom is asking for more money and years that they are currently willing to offer then they need a plan B and they should have a plan B at the ready. Its just being smart.

Don’t hate you but think it’s both a bad idea and one that Belichick does to.
Why in the world would he want an opportunity to move on from the giyvwho led him to 4 of the last 5 SBs and won 3 of them?
That’s like saying if the redskins fire gruden it will give Belichick the opportunity to move in from the patriots.

I don't like you saying it but I'm thinking the same exact thing.:p

I think Bill still very much wants Tom around but only at a certain price. For example if Tom is asking for $75m guaranteed I dont think that is something they are interested in doing.

There might be a reason why the Pats haven’t approached him for an extension. Also, remember what Tom’s father said - this won’t end well.

Look, Bill wants Tom to stay. RK wants Tom to stay. Tom wants to stay. I'm confident they will figure something out but if Tom is asking for more money and years that they are currently willing to offer then they need a plan B and they should have a plan B at the ready. Its just being smart.
A) Brady is smart enough to not ask for more than would be prudent on the cap
B) Brady at any price is better than risen for free
C) there has been no indication or even hint of an indication that there is a money disagreement.

There might be a reason why the Pats haven’t approached him for an extension. Also, remember what Tom’s father said - this won’t end well.
For all we know something has been figured out and its a matter of time before they announce it.

But if its something different than that, the Pats are doing the right thing.

So we may have to dig up and unlock the trade Brady thread? Great competition for the Butler thread for sure.

Picking at the end of the 2nd we will need to offer more. Also if it means Hoyer rides off into the sunset then absolutely. Let the Hoyer coaching career begin. I would do this deal all day long.

Last edited:
I’m all for finding our next Qb but I’m not sure Rosen is the guy. Just not sure about his mental makeup. Is he all about football 24/7, will he strive to get better every day? Does he command respect from his teammates?

I’m all for finding our next Qb but I’m not sure Rosen is the guy. Just not sure about his mental makeup. Is he all about football 24/7, will he strive to get better every day? Does he command respect from his teammates?
Him vs Will Grier

Legitimate questions for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back