PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats expected to add incentives to Brady's deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need something to prevent opposing QBs from having record setting days against our D
You mean the opposing BACKUP QB having record setting days against our D :mad:. Though I expect our D to be much better this year.

All the (reported) clubhouse drama going on and now Brady needs motivation to play/win?

(That's a joke folks)

Unless it's a real stretch incentive, it doesn't seem to make much sense as Brady will give you everything he can to move the team forward and win. Just renegotiate the contract and give it to him as a bonus?

You mean the opposing BACKUP QB having record setting days against our D :mad:. Though I expect our D to be much better this year.
What record did he set?

Brady getting more money isn’t proof that “it was about money”. There really wasn’t an “it” anyway other than fake news speculation.

Rescue me Jebus...

If he makes the incentives, he will cash in next year?

This year most probably. I guess it will not be easy to design NLTBE incentives for Brady given his last season that are still "straighforward to reach".

Rescue me Jebus...
What would you like me to explain to you so you can understand it? It’s not that complicated.

If Brady ever asked to be paid what he is actually worth, he would make north of 40 million a year. If you consider that Jimmy G is making 27 million this year, what would you pay Brady.

Brady does have a slight obligation to the other NFL players, to attempt to achieve the highest salary he can get. Even at 20 million a year, Brady is a bargain!

He is the greatest QB evah. There really is no argument about it. If you consider his championships, longevity, durability, and play, nobody really comes close.

I hope he plays til he is 50!

What are the cap ramifications, if any?

If Brady ever asked to be paid what he is actually worth, he would make north of 40 million a year. If you consider that Jimmy G is making 27 million this year, what would you pay Brady.

Brady does have a slight obligation to the other NFL players, to attempt to achieve the highest salary he can get. Even at 20 million a year, Brady is a bargain!

He is the greatest QB evah. There really is no argument about it. If you consider his championships, longevity, durability, and play, nobody really comes close.

I hope he plays til he is 50!
QB's are lucky GM's have been dumb enough to not use Brady's contract as a negotiation tactic.

QB's are lucky GM's have been dumb enough to not use Brady's contract as a negotiation tactic.

I am sure others have tried. But it really is a game of chicken and how many GMs apart from BB are there who you think would have the balls to ship out their QB because their demands fail their value equation ?

Just in time to trade him for Mack. Smart.
That's a bad idea. If the trade Brady, they'll have to force a rookie into the back up QB spot because Hoyer will be the starter.

If he makes the incentives, he will cash in next year?

Depends on whether they are LTBE* or NLTBE*...if the former...it hits the cap now...if the latter, it hits next year's cap.

*(Not/Likely To Be Earned).

• Winner
Reactions: PP2

If I was another QB and they brought up Brady, I would say I will agree to take his salary as long as you give me a wife with comparable beauty and money as his!

He’s becoming a diva. Trade him! :D

5 millions of cap space gone if he reaches those incentives.

In general, but not exactly that simple. The immediate cap charge for 2018 is based on what portion of those incentives he would have reached in 2017. Any incentives he didn't reach last year is treated as not likely to be earned for 2018 cap purposes and doesn't count towards 2018 at this point. At the end of the year there is a true-up for the actual incentives reached versus what was actually in the 2018 cap, and that true up is reflected in the 2019 cap.

That said, my understanding from various interviews with Jonathan Kraft is that the team tries to account for incentives during the year that it happens, based on what the team thinks is likely during the year it happens (rather than the technical rules on how it's accounted for). So for example, if $4M in incentives are due for playing every game in 2018 and having more TDs than INTs in 2018, and $1M is for being named Super Bowl 53 MVP, the 2018 cap charge for now is $4M. But if the team really thinks it's the best team in the NFL this year, they will hold back that extra $1M in 2018 cap space this year (i.e. not spend that $1M elsewhere, and "carry it forward" to 2019), so when the ultimate bookkeeping adjustment is done, the 2019 cap will not be impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back