PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster cutdowns - PATRIOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The least surprising development of the last few days:

Interesting - I was literally about to make a post stating it's Monday, neither McClellan nor anyone else has been placed on IR, so maybe Bolden actually was cut for real?

But it sounds like all is right with the world.... There is an open PS spot. Wondering if, instead of IR, they intend to cut someone that they didn't think would make it through to the PS yesterday, but they think can make it through today now that the final 53 is generally considered set in stone for the other 31 teams? If that's the case, who would it be? Probably one of the 4 UDFAs who made the team. My guess is J. Hollister.

Interesting - I was literally about to make a post stating it's Monday, neither McClellan nor anyone else has been placed on IR, so maybe Bolden actually was cut for real?

But it sounds like all is right with the world.... There is an open PS spot. Wondering if, instead of IR, they intend to cut someone that they didn't think would make it through to the PS yesterday, but they think can make it through today now that the final 53 is generally considered set in stone for the other 31 teams? If that's the case, who would it be? Probably one of the 4 UDFAs who made the team. My guess is J. Hollister.

I don't buy the idea that cutting a player now would put LESS light on him, and make him less likely to be picked up.

I'd think they would wait until Thursday to do a release like that. It's a surprise active person + with the rest of the league knee deep in gameplanning it is less likely they will cut someone from the active roster for whoever we release.

Patriots.com still lists a couple of duplicate numbers. Hollister and Langi both have 48 and Croston and Butler are still listed as 70. Would imagine Butler and possibly Langi would get a 90 number, but 55 is also available. Seems like something that would already have been taken care of--maybe it is on the field and just hasn't been updated.

I know its not pretty @LT. And its a problem throughout the league. And I love every Pat player for better or for worse. Waddle including. But its hard to understand why keep a guy who's not the answer (they used Fleming over him last year at LT, he hasn't seen a meaningful NFL snap since he came to NE and was inactive all year and had a rough preseason again this yr by most accounts) over a guy who was the only IOL backup answer last year (making Kline, Cooper etc. redundant) and was active all games and started one when he was called and played very solid (Karras)..

They did play Fleming last year @ARI at LT and it was fine. They did play Fleming in dress rehearsal game 2 weeks ago at LT and it was fine. Croston looked better in pass protection than Waddle in preseason games at LT IMO. Waddle is of course bigger, stronger, better in running game. But he is a painful liability in PP. Looks like he can't fully recover from his knee injury.

I can understand they are keeping him as additional safety net in regard to Solder and Garcia. I understand that it is impossible to keep a capable LT backup on PS in this league. Id just like to know why is it so important to keep him besides Fleming and Croston because I can't see a significant drop from Waddle to Croston. And if Waddle is so clearly ahead of Croston at LT then it would seem a bit steep to keep Croston over Karras (and I liked and rooted for Croston from the start). I know there is rationale also here since Croston is a T so probably even he would be claimed sooner than Karras.

We'll see how it plays out but if Karras is claimed by another team it will be disappointing to lose him in such way. The kid put a great effort and impressed everybody playing all IOL positions. He is tough and strong with just the right amount of nasty attitude combined with disciplined playing and behaviour (focus). Can't recall a single penalty call on him..

You want Croston and Fleming as the only LT options in case of injury?

Waddle beat out two players to start on Detroit, then was injured there and here.

Without Solder, we need a legitimate LT backup. He's one. They aren't easy to find. I believe Croston will be moving to guard.

It's possible that there have been transactions complete that just haven't come across the wire yet. McClellin to IR, replaced by Bolden seems the most likely. But it's also possible that the 10th PS spot has already been filled and that we just haven't heard about it yet. Besides the rumor about Freeny visiting the NYG, there are 10 other cut players who are still SFA as far as we know, and at least a half dozens teams with no one listed for their PS yet on NFL.com (not that they're particularly noted for being up-to-date on such stuff).

My guess is that, if they want to move another guy through waivers down to the PS, they'd probably waive him Friday or Saturday, while the rest of the league is prepping for their opening games on Sunday (one advantage to playing this Thursday).

Patriots.com still lists a couple of duplicate numbers. Hollister and Langi both have 48 and Croston and Butler are still listed as 70. Would imagine Butler and possibly Langi would get a 90 number, but 55 is also available. Seems like something that would already have been taken care of--maybe it is on the field and just hasn't been updated.

Labor Day weekend. Lot of the patriots.com website folks are probably still sleeping off yesterday's barbecue in lawn chairs on the back patio.

You want Croston and Fleming as the only LT options in case of injury?

Waddle beat out two players to start on Detroit, then was injured there and here.

Without Solder, we need a legitimate LT backup. He's one. They aren't easy to find. I believe Croston will be moving to guard.

I think that IF (big "if") the Pats move Waddle, it won't be until they're certain that Solder is 100%. And, I think they're more likely to trade him than cut him.

Need clarification for better understanding: What means WAIVED/INJURED ( ...settlement, if unclaimed)

Latest numbers according to Patriots Twitter:
Butler is staying at 70
Langi staying at 48
Croston is 74
J. Hollister is 47
Marsh is 55

Need clarification for better understanding: What means WAIVED/INJURED ( ...settlement, if unclaimed)

If a team waives a player with the "injury" designation, and the player goes unclaimed by another team within the claiming period, the player automatically reverts to season-ending IR. However, if the player feels that his injury is NOT actually season-ending (often the case), he may request an injury settlement from the team.

I was merely noting that as a reminder that a player who is "waived/injured" could reach a settlement, be released by the Pats, and possibly return to the team later in the season.

yep . bubble boy B B back . just as scripted
(pretty expensive IR for someone many people would cut..)

Last edited:
However, if the player feels that his injury is NOT actually season-ending (often the case), he may request an injury settlement from the team.

I was merely noting that as a reminder that a player who is "waived/injured" could reach a settlement, be released by the Pats, and possibly return to the team later in the season.

Thanks for your explanation. But there is a rule for IR- designated to return:
Have any settlement an influence on this rule?

Last edited:
Thanks for your explanation. But there is a rule for IR- designated to return:
Have any settlement an influence on this rule?

Any player can request a settlement-and-release once he's on IR. A player on IR who is eligible to return isn't designated to return until he returns to practicing with the team (at the end of six weeks).

Howe is not particularly bright, is he? Who didnt see this coming from a mile?

If you read NFLTR, several other teams are doing the exact same thing today.

good to know

To summarize (for the moment):

Only player eligible to return from IR now is McClellin.

4 players are eligible to return from NFI: T Garcia, T Jelks, G Farris, DE K.Davis

Note: Team can bring back 2 players from either lists*

Players released from IR w settlement can be re-signed by NE after x-weeks of settlement + 3 weeks. For the moment this applies to Hamilton and DE Vereen.
(IIRC Gaffney was re-signed like that last yr)

Other candidates: WR Lucien, TE Lengel, CB Killings, DE Kidder, DT Augusta

Players w reported season ending inj: Edelman, Cyrus Jones, Rivers

_____
*At any time after six weeks have elapsed since a player was placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness, each club is permitted to designate two players for return from either list to the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List.

Last edited:
good to know

To summarize (for the moment):

Only player eligible to return from IR now is McClellin.

4 players are eligible to return from NFI: T Garcia, T Jelks, G Farris, DE K.Davis

Note: Team can bring back 2 players from either lists*

Players released from IR w settlement can be re-signed by NE after x-weeks of settlement + 3 weeks. For the moment this applies to Hamilton and DE Vereen.
(IIRC Gaffney was re-signed like that last yr)

_____
*At any time after six weeks have elapsed since a player was placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness, each club is permitted to designate two players for return from either list to the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List.

Isn't NFI like PUP? Since when is there a limitation on the number of players who can return from that list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back