PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster cutdowns - PATRIOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

maineman209

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Noting and listing Pats cuts/roster moves here. Cuts by other teams should probably go in a separate thread

CUTDOWN TRANSACTIONS SYNOPSIS as of 7:30am EDT, Sunday 9/3/17.

Preamble
6/5 - C. Vereen (DE) - Waived/INJURED, unclaimed, reverted to season-ending IR*

8/26 - Ealy (DE) - Waived (claimed by NYJ 8/27)
8/27 - Lengel (TE) - Waived/INJURED, unclaimed, reverted to season-ending IR*
8/27 - Kidder (DE) - Waived/INJURED, unclaimed, reverted to season-ending IR*
(* could still be released with settlement)

8/28 signings (primarily to fill out roster positions for final pre-season game):
- Christian Kuntz (OLB/LS)
- Nick Usher (DE/OLB)
- Mikey Bart (DE)

8/29 - Marquis Flowers (LB/ST) - Acquired from CIN for a 2018 7th-round pick.
... [LB Christian Kuntz WAIVED in corresponding move.]

---------
TRANSACTIONS for 9/1 and 9/2 (sorted by position):

WAIVED unless otherwise noted:
QB Brissett ... TRADED for WR Phillip Dorsett (IND)
FB G. Gronkowski
TE Cotton
TE O'Shaughnessy
OG King
OG Douglas
OT Rich
OT McDermott
OL Ferentz
OG Karras
OT Garcia ... -> RESERVE/NFI
OL Jelks ... -> RESERVE/NFI
RB Foster
RB Daniels
RB Bolden ... RELEASED
WR Edelman ... -> IR, season-ending
WR Washington
WR Maye
WR C. Hollister
WR Carr
WR Lucien ... WAIVED/INJURED (season-ending IR or settlement, if unclaimed)

LB Bates
LB Bart
LB Ellis
LB Freeny ... RELEASED
CB Moore
CB Likely
CB Killings ... WAIVED/INJURED (season-ending IR or settlement, if unclaimed)
CB Cy Jones ... -> IR, season-ending
CB Coleman ... TRADED for DE/OLB Cassius Marsh (SEA)
SAF Thompson
SAF Travis
SAF D. Jones
DE Usher
DE Grissom
DE Rivers ... -> IR, season-ending
DE K. Davis ... -> RESERVE/NFI
DT Hamilton ... WAIVED/INJURED (season-ending IR or settlement, if unclaimed)
DT Kilgo
DT/NT Augusta ... WAIVED/INJURED (season-ending IR or settlement, if unclaimed)

New - ADDED:
DB/ST Bademosi (DET) in TRADE for a 2019 6th-rounder
LB/ST M. Flowers (CIN) in TRADE for a 2018 7th-rounder

New - SWAPPED IN:
DE/OLB Marsh (SEA) in TRADE for a 2018 5th-rounder + CB Coleman
WR Dorsett (IND) in TRADE for OB Brissett

Last edited:
Assuming Edelman and Rivers to IR, that leaves 33 cuts to be made.

33 OR MORE cuts coming :) BB usually leaves room for 1 or 2 late additions from cuts on other teams.....

Also, any player who the Pats might want to bring back from IR must still be on the roster after cutdowns. So, there may be a couple of "head-scratcher" cuts over the weekend who will be restored to the 53 after those guys are moved to IR on Monday.

Don't know. I don't think that Pats have made any official announcement about surgery for Edelman yet, either.
Correct. Only the Ealy, Kidder and Lengel releases have been the "official" transactions

I'm curious we have not heard about definite surgery for Rivers yet?

Right. The thing is, with ACL tears, historically the surgery is usually about 4 weeks after the tear occurs. This is because the swelling often needs to dissipate before they can fix it. Gronk's injury was on 12/8 and his surgery was 1/9. Brady's tear was on 9/7 and his surgery was on 10/6. Dion Lewis' was faster -- his injury was 11/8 and his surgery was just 10 days later on 11/18. I just assume his swelling went away faster than the others' for some reason.

I'm sure we won't hear anything about Rivers' surgery until after it happens.

Right. The thing is, with ACL tears, historically the surgery is usually about 4 weeks after the tear occurs. This is because the swelling often needs to dissipate before they can fix it. Gronk's injury was on 12/8 and his surgery was 1/9. Brady's tear was on 9/7 and his surgery was on 10/6. Dion Lewis' was faster -- his injury was 11/8 and his surgery was just 10 days later on 11/18. I just assume his swelling went away faster than the others' for some reason.

I'm sure we won't hear anything about Rivers' surgery until after it happens.

All correct but I don't think that is the reason an official announcement has not been made as of yet.

As I see it there are two reasons.
1) He doesn't have a complete tear and will be available during the 2017 season
2) The team sees no urgent need to put him on the official IR list until the start of the season. Reasons could be cap related or other.

All correct but I don't think that is the reason an official announcement has not been made as of yet.

As I see it there are two reasons.
1) He doesn't have a complete tear and will be available during the 2017 season
2) The team sees no urgent need to put him on the official IR list until the start of the season. Reasons could be cap related or other.

I'm just assuming it's the second reason. They couldn't put him on IR today if they wanted to because he's not a vested veteran - so he'd need to be waived/injured first like they did with Lengel and Kidder yesterday. That would be pretty crazy to do, in my opinion, on their promising 3rd round pick from this past draft, especially if they're not going to use the roster spot (they haven't used the roster spots created by Ealy, Lengel, and Kidder yet). Whereas with Lengal and Kidder, I'm sure they were convinced that no one would claim them and if they did, they wouldn't be heartbroken over losing them. So for Rivers, they'll just wait until the official date they can move him on IR directly.

And if it were the first reason, he probably wouldn't be available during the first 8 weeks of the season regardless, so they would just IR him in that case too - but he'd have to be on the initial 53 before they do that so that he could qualify for the return possibility.

Also, any player who the Pats might want to bring back from IR must still be on the roster after cutdowns. So, there may be a couple of "head-scratcher" cuts over the weekend who will be restored to the 53 after those guys are moved to IR on Monday.
Is it AT cutdown or after?
Meaning if you have 2 players going on IR do you have to cut to 51 or do you cut to 53 and IR then simultaneously.

Three guys who will play 48 minutes on Friday and be cut thereafter? :)

I am a little surprised they decided to bring bodies in at this point, but can't blame them for not wanting to get the projected 53 man roster and bubble guys hurt in the last game.

The NEP brings guys in at any point. It doesn't matter. Hell it was 3 years 2 days ago Mankins was sent packing for Wright.

Is it AT cutdown or after?
Meaning if you have 2 players going on IR do you have to cut to 51 or do you cut to 53 and IR then simultaneously.

You put guys on IR, and then cut down to 53, guys on IR DO NOT count towards the 53 man roster.

You put guys on IR, and then cut down to 53, guys on IR DO NOT count towards the 53 man roster.

I think they're talking about guys who could potentially be re-activated after 8 weeks (can have 2 of those guys this year). You have to actually be on the 53 man roster to start the season for that, so if they think that any of their IR guys could fall into that category, they would need to cut down beyond 53, then IR those guys.

For other guys, you can simultaneously IR as part of the 53 man cut down (the way you describe). But they will not be eligible to be one of the 2 players that can return.

Last edited:
The NEP brings guys in at any point. It doesn't matter. Hell it was 3 years 2 days ago Mankins was sent packing for Wright.

I hear you. I'm just chuckling a bit because these are literally players 88-90 on the roster, haven't been here at all for camp, and are just being given 3 days of practice and one game to play before they are cut. There's certainly value in that -- it's basically like an extended workout/tryout that they give during the season. I just would have figured they'd rather use the time to make final evaluations on players 66-87. Guess I'm wrong.

I hear you. I'm just chuckling a bit because these are literally players 88-90 on the roster, haven't been here at all for camp, and are just being given 3 days of practice and one game to play before they are cut. There's certainly value in that -- it's basically like an extended workout/tryout that they give during the season. I just would have figured they'd rather use the time to make final evaluations on players 66-87. Guess I'm wrong.

OTOH, at "traditional" DE, they have only Flowers and Wise, who they probably wouldn't want to expose to injury.

At LB, aside from HT, Harris and Van Noy, they have only Roberts (still with bruised ribs), McLellin (in witness protection, apparently), Freeny, Bates and Ellis.

It may be more just making sure they have a complete positional roster surrounding the guys who they still want to evaluate than it is about giving these new guys a tryout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft