PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster cutdowns - PATRIOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making cuts after practise? WOW that is brutal, MAYBE it is pratical, if someone gets injured you still have a replacement? In the hollywood version of things, some dude on the bubble would have an INSANE practise and make the team, makes a good story...

BB trying to see who's mentally tough and can still have a good practice with cuts looming over their heads.... I like it.

I said earlier today that I thought more than 53 would be at practice.

My thinking was that if he had players they would like for the PS he would hold off cutting them so they might get lost in the mosh pit of cuts later today when everyone else makes their cuts. If they made the cuts earlier then other teams could focus on players to target they might want.

I guess you have to make the 53 to be eligible to return from IR :

I think I understand the logic behind it, although I disagree vehemently.

In any case, one upshot of this: don't be surprised if the Pats release veterans who would be FAs next March (Brandon Bolden?), only to re-sign them tomorrow or Monday.

My thinking was that if he had players they would like for the PS he would hold off cutting them so they might get lost in the mosh pit of cuts later today when everyone else makes their cuts. If they made the cuts earlier then other teams could focus on players to target they might want.

Now that I think about it more, that makes sense.

It also occurs to me that, since they can still roster as many as 90 players, and since they've already opened at least 7 spots, the could have a couple-three new guys at practice today for tryouts (punt returners?).

I'm really pulling for Lucien and Foster.
Foster chose us over other teams is buried on a stacked position but never shows or displays frustration.
Would like to see him try punt returns.

He may be doing that very thing at practice today.

https://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/status/904004000525246467
Interesting that Augusta is at practice. Doug Moore tweeted yesterday afternoon that he'd been waived. However, there was some speculation as to whether or not Augusta had been waived/injured. Not sure it would make a difference WRT him attending today's practice, but it might.

Interesting that Augusta is at practice. Doug Moore tweeted yesterday afternoon that he'd been waived. However, there was some speculation as to whether or not Augusta had been waived/injured. Not sure it would make a difference WRT him attending today's practice, but it might.

If he's already been waived, I'm pretty sure he can't practice.

The tweet didn't say whether or not he was dressed for practice. I'm guessing there's no league rule preventing him from being on the sideline, or even from working out.

Was it reported to the league by 4PM yesterday? If not, he isn't waived yet. As we have learned, tweets don't necessarily mean that a player has been formally waived.

I'm really pulling for Lucien and Foster.
Foster chose us over other teams is buried on a stacked position but never shows or displays frustration.
Would like to see him try punt returns.
I've been really critical of foster running in between the tackles, but I think his bread and butter lies elsewhere. He's the perfect guy to have moving all over the place pre-snap. Am I wrong that he has exactly what you look for in a slot receiver?

And I think punt returner makes sense as well. If he can consistently catch the ball, I like the prospects of his running ability combined with a RB's ball security.

FWIW ...

Here is how Bill Belichick described the "moving parts" of putting together the 53-man roster from his pre-game interview on 98.5 The Sports Hub: "There are some injury things that we're going to have to deal with. There are always guys being floated around the league, from team to team at this time of year, whether it's our players other teams are interested in, or other players we might be interested in. So there's still a lot of moving parts and that also affects the practice squad as well – and those are key players for us … We give every roster spot very careful consideration. There are still a lot of names we're trying to consider, whether it's on the practice squad or on the roster, things like that, going back and forth. That will come down to the wire."

i
Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer

We only need to ask "why", and then understand the logic for Belichick's actions.

QUESTION
If there were to be an injury in a practice of 53 players, might we want to have another player from the rest on the 53? Of course.

Some teams will focus on every patriot cut, no matter when they happen.

Others have all the players in the NFL on their system, with evaluations.

Cutting early or late shouldn't matter much, except for veterans, whose agents can contact teams and have a better chance of landing a roster spot. For example, Freeny might land a ST spot elsewhere (or he may have an agreement with Bill to come back here on Sunday).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand