PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell has no plans to apologize to Patriots if they’re cleared in Deflategate probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I take this as him now knowing that the Pats are about to be exonerated so he wants to save as much face as he can by deflecting blame from himself. I've always believed he wasn't initially involved in this crock of a 'scandal' so he's probably just going to take the "it wasn't me so why should I apologize" route because he technically can.

Yeah I read that on the first draft day I think. He doesn't think he should apologize for the improper sting? He's a royal a**hole.

This is the media strategy the Clintons perfected, get a moronic (applicable here) or suck up media outlet to ASK THE WRONG QUESTION, (or if that fails simply answer the question as if they asked the wrong one and bank on lack of follow up); then provide your answer as if you are pure as driven snow.

Not apologize for a sting, not apologize for leaks-defamation, but rather 'apologize for investigating': (getting up on high horse) 'respond with self-righteous indignation"

This is the media strategy the Clintons perfected, get a moronic (applicable here) or suck up media outlet to ASK THE WRONG QUESTION, (or if that fails simply answer the question as if they asked the wrong one and bank on lack of follow up); then provide your answer as if you are pure as driven snow.

Not apologize for a sting, not apologize for leaks-defamation, but rather 'apologize for investigating': (getting up on high horse) 'respond with self-righteous indignation"

This is so spot on! I had to say it in words!

The reason he apologized to anyone last year was because he was the one who cleared an NFL player for beating up a woman after doing his own investigation. He's kept himself out of future investigations since the scandal.

By that logic, Ted Wells will be apologizing to the media for clearing the Patriots. "I'm sorry, but after all this time, I found nothing."

He doesn't know what to do, let's face it.

I can't claim to have followed a lot of professional sport commissioners closely, but they all appear to me to have some sort of distinguishing personality trait - a hardliner, a jerk, money over the sport, etc. Goodell's distinguishing trait is truly ineptitude. You can be angry as a fan, and you can be angry as an individual watching this sort of incompetence being rewarded.

Heretofore and evermore ne'er shall the words; "protecting the shield", "integrity" and NFL be uttered in the same sentence....

He knew he was f..ed early as his inner circle overreacted, thus the series of late night leaks to select NFL propagandists in the middle of the night during the first week of this "witchhunt"....

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. There has never been a bigger combination of arrogance and incompetence on the national stage than Roger Goodell. I can't think of one thing he's done that hasn't gone sideways or backwards, and if it weren't for Kraft, we'd still be locked out. I wouldn't trust that guy to mow my lawn correctly. He'd probably head for Tom Brady and run over his foot.

**** Goodell. He's the worst.

The thing is, the more he does this, the more the handful of legitimate journalists will notice, and begin to itch to not let him off the hook on the single sentence answers without a follow up question. He's digging a hole here.

This tactic was actually invented by the two sides in the US civil war, extended significantly for WWII by Churchill and Roosevelt, and then really taken to another level by Ron Ziegler. The Clintons didn't try to use it more than anyone else. They just got more cooperation from the press than Ziegler/Nixon did, and had far more press outlets to choose from because of the internet news explosion.

Kraft drew the line in the sand and he should follow through. No apology no more support for Goodell. Once the report is in Kraft should speak out publicly against Goodell and make it clear he intends to make sure he won't be commissioner much longer.

Last edited:
The shield needs a better shield.

His organization exposed the Pats to inflated - yeah I said it! - allegations by way of its employees' behavior (in terms of leaks.) If "A league source" means somebody from the league office, this is amateur hour stuff. The Wells report, were it independent, should go into the systemic issues of how the "Shield" conducted itself during the ongoing probe. It's one or the other. You can't claim to be the freaking Supreme Court on the one hand, and claim "That's football, yuck yuck" when you feel like it. You want to have this super super serial front when needed? Then you really need a conscious effort to protect against leaks, lame proclamations that it'll all be over in a week (when you've got months left in reality)... etcetera.

So yeah he appears to be pre-spinning his "whoops" reaction (at least, we can hope - could also be just bluster.)

But you know what would really be impressive? Him saying "Next we're finding out who's putting out misinformation during ongoing investigations because the Shield needs to be taken seriously" or something like that.

The shield needs a better shield.

But you know what would really be impressive? Him saying "Next we're finding out who's putting out misinformation during ongoing investigations because the Shield needs to be taken seriously" or something like that.

Is that like "tampering needs to be taken seriously"?

Is that like "tampering needs to be taken seriously"?

Yes, yes it is. Unless it's the JEST. And unless they're tampering with the Patriots, especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft