PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivers waived

Yeah you're being a bit obtuse here.

I love TB and he is absolutely the greatest QB I've ever seen play the game but he needed Bill. They needed each other to accomplish what they did. It was, by far, the greatest HC/QB relationship in NFL history. It's not even close. Nine Super Bowl appearances and Six wins? Give me a break. Trying to divy up the credit is getting ridiculous. That it worked for twenty years to our benefit is all that matters.

Good luck to the both of them.

BB has multiple defensive game plans in the HOF from my recollection. If not he should have. The point being is that the Patriots have had some incredible defensive performances over the last twenty years and Brady had nothing to do with them other than benefiting from them.

Yes Brady took less money but that equated to possibly one extra middle tier player on the roster per year and that additional money didn't add up to a Revis contract. The Revis addition was a possibility because of BBs cap management overall.

Anyway, there's no need to blame or claim anything for either BB or TB. Just be thankful that we have had the best twenty year run of any fanbase of any sport.

1u5zeo.gif

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

Defensive line is being rebuilt before our eyes. Carl Davis, Isaiah Mack, Tashawn Bower, Chase Winovich. Became a numbers game for Rivers, as they needed to make room for Terez Hall.

Today, they also waived Froholdt to make room for Sony Michel.

Soon, they will need to make room for Justin Herron.
To me, this is one of the underrated things about BB and it's something I don't feel anyone does better than him.

He should have walked away at the draft.

When your first pick is #87, the draft becomes more of a hit or miss than it usually is..

Of course there will be those who claim how so and so picked after that pick was this or that.. in reality the Pats have quite a few "lower" draft picks & UDFA's who have done quite well..

He always seems to be one step away.

Yep. One of the draftees i was most eager to see playing for Pats & it was a long wait. Started well in first TC but could not last till at least first preseason game which was a bit frustrating. When i finally got to see him next preseason he seemed a different player - bigger, slower, predictable - it was a bit sad to see and the writing was on the wall unfortunately..

Good post.

You can't win if you don't play (regarding picking players/taking a chance. Can't hit the lottery if you don't buy a ticket). Almost 60 TFL & 40 Sacks and a combine that compares to Von Miller, Cliff Avril, Ware, Beasley, Barwin, A Barr.

Still remember the excitement of our draft board & a sigh of relief when after a trade down followed by a run on DEs they finally pulled the trigger on Rivers. Still remember Caserios face when this was happening looking eagerly at BB to allow him to place a call :)

And all that 'historical' DE class - now mostly down the drain :) Once again BB knew better..

It's scary that Ferentz is more valuable than Froholdt

Unfortunately this was painfully visible on the field. When he was drafted it looked like possible Thuney replacement just at the right time just at the right position. Now Thuney plays on tag and Froholdt looked like HS player.. Costly miss on versatile IOL .. mended by what looks like a diamond pick of dominating versatile OL in Onwenu..

Yep. One of the draftees i was most eager to see playing for Pats & it was a long wait. Started well in first TC but could not last till at least first preseason game which was a bit frustrating. When i finally got to see him next preseason he seemed a different player - bigger, slower, predictable - it was a bit sad to see and the writing was on the wall unfortunately..

Still remember the excitement of our draft board & a sigh of relief when after a trade down followed by a run on DEs they finally pulled the trigger on Rivers. Still remember Caserios face when this was happening looking eagerly at BB to allow him to place a call :)

And all that 'historical' DE class - now mostly down the drain :) Once again BB knew better..

Unfortunately this was painfully visible on the field. When he was drafted it looked like possible Thuney replacement just at the right time just at the right position. Now Thuney plays on tag and Froholdt looked like HS player.. Costly miss on versatile IOL .. mended by what looks like a diamond pick of dominating versatile OL in Onwenu..
I was so pumped. Probably as happy as I've been during this run. The thought of speed & power with Flowers, Rivers & Wise was very intriguing.

2017 was junk for me. My worst year I think and mainly bc of that rush class. They were garbage. Myles is exactly what I thought he'd be. With little to no help. Been dinged up but he's getting doubled, tripled and still pitting up very good numbers. Had a first on Watt, he's been unbelievable and as good as anyone lately. Legit DPOY candidate the last 1.5 year.

At least he was a third-rounder. I still have nightmares about Easley in the first-round.

Froholdt was a 4th round pick (#118 overall). Not sure how you can describe it as "costly". And he suffered an injury in TC last year that derailed his season. It happens. You mentioned Onwenu, but the Patriots also have Herron who has played very well at RT. In fact, I like him better than Eleumenor there.

I am hopeful that Herron will be back soon. Maybe not getting the attention of Onwenu but looks a powerful guy and hopefully will give us another good player on the OLine

Froholdt was a 4th round pick (#118 overall). Not sure how you can describe it as "costly". And he suffered an injury in TC last year that derailed his season. It happens. You mentioned Onwenu, but the Patriots also have Herron who has played very well at RT. In fact, I like him better than Eleumenor there.
We overrate the future contributions of mid-level draft choices that are injured before their rookie year. Almost none have succeeded.

Looks like Uche has been given the other subpackage edge rushing job, knocking Rivers off the roster. Makes sense to let Uche do what he can now, and to worry about the full transition to ILB when they have a full offseason.

It sucks, but he’s kind of old news at this point, may as well give more time for the younger guys who seem to have potential. Winovich-Uche-Jennings has me tentatively excited.
What do those 3 guys have to do with keeping the less-than-useless, rancid pile of garbage that is Tashawn Bower ahead of Derek (call a Doc) Rivers? That's the part of this move that makes no sense whatsoever.

Defensive line is being rebuilt before our eyes. Carl Davis, Isaiah Mack, Tashawn Bower, Chase Winovich. Became a numbers game for Rivers, as they needed to make room for Terez Hall.

To me, this is one of the underrated things about BB and it's something I don't feel anyone does better than him.
Tashawn Bower sucks. No Feckin Way he deserves ANY snaps ahead of Rivers.

And if this is your idea of the DL being "rebuilt," then I don't know what to tell ya...

Would have love to see what kind of player he would have been if he didn't get put on IR two entire years out of his first three to start his career. Losing all that development time was a huge factor in why he has been such a disappointment.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back