PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Resetting for day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Milano is a small fast linebacker in the mold that the Pats have been seeking late in the draft recently. Carroll Phillips was also rumored to interest them.

The Pats had reported pre-draft contact with both, IIRC, as well as with Eric Wilson and a couple other late-round/UDFA types.

The Pats had reported pre-draft contact with both, IIRC, as well as with Eric Wilson and a couple other late-round/UDFA types.

Yes, that sounds right. Bill hasn't pulled any out of the blue picks thus far. Maybe he'll continue and grab one of those 3.

I forgot we can't trade up (or need to twice) in the fourth today.

For the Pats Day-3 picks (now down to #131, #183, & #239), the selections could be almost any BPA (with ST potential) at any position. It feels like they'll be icing on the cake, even if they only make the PS.

The Patriots also have pick 200 from the Colts according to the NFL.com Draft Page..

2017 NFL Draft Tracker – NFL.com

CORRECTION: The Pats traded the pick. Seems the NFL.com people don't talk to eachother.

2017 NFL Draft trade tracker: Details of all the moves

Last edited:
I would love to see the Pats grab TE Bucky Hodges if he is still on the board when we pick. He might be a project, but a freak athlete at TE. Gronk, Allen & Hodges would be sick.

We really don't need an RB. But if Samaje Perine, Oklahoma makes it to our 4th (doubtful) I'd snap him him up. He's just too good. Big, bad weather clock killer and goal line RB.

If we took S Eddie Jackson, Alabama or S Nathan Gerry, Nebraska some time today. That would be great. I think Gerry is a ST demon as well.

If QB Brad Kaaya, Miami fell to our 6th I'd strongly consider him. I saw him on that predraft series with Steve Mariucci (Gamechangers). There's one part he does with all the qbs where he diagrams a play with a long name on a white board, flips the board over and talks with the qb for a few minutes, then tells the qb to draw up the play he just showed him. All the other prospects paused a bit and stopped and started in places. And all the while Mooch would be asking about parts of the formation. Most of the guys would stutter a bit. But in the end they all did fine. But not all hesitated drawing up stuff or explaining. Kaaya was so damn smooth and relaxed and on point it was like he knew the play for years. It was quite impressive. But the dude needs some work physically and on his mechanics.

I'd love to see LB Vince Biegel, Wisc taken by us too. He's nothing remarkable as far as measureables. But on the field he's the Enegizer Bunny.

Interesting sheet

Looks like Pats could boost significantly their poor 3rd round success.

Of course looking forward to the fourth . BBs iconic strength . that Roga wanted to erase. Would be disappointed if he trades out completely after all was done to regain the 4th pick..

Every Patriots 4th round pick has made the roster his rookie year.

What positions could a rookie make with no problem at this point?

Backup interior OL
TE3

Even LB would be close

We really don't need an RB. But if Samaje Perine, Oklahoma makes it to our 4th (doubtful) I'd snap him him up. He's just too good. Big, bad weather clock killer and goal line RB.

If we took S Eddie Jackson, Alabama or S Nathan Gerry, Nebraska some time today. That would be great. I think Gerry is a ST demon as well.

If QB Brad Kaaya, Miami fell to our 6th I'd strongly consider him. I saw him on that predraft series with Steve Mariucci (Gamechangers). There's one part he does with all the qbs where he diagrams a play with a long name on a white board, flips the board over and talks with the qb for a few minutes, then tells the qb to draw up the play he just showed him. All the other prospects paused a bit and stopped and started in places. And all the while Mooch would be asking about parts of the formation. Most of the guys would stutter a bit. But in the end they all did fine. But not all hesitated drawing up stuff or explaining. Kaaya was so damn smooth and relaxed and on point it was like he knew the play for years. It was quite impressive. But the dude needs some work physically and on his mechanics.

I'd love to see LB Vince Biegel, Wisc taken by us too. He's nothing remarkable as far as measureables. But on the field he's the Enegizer Bunny.

Beigel actually compares quite closely to Van Noy and McClellin. In fact, he's quicker and faster than either one, and I think that shows up on the field. He would make a fine addition to the rotation, and could offer more coverage skills than McClellin does. I'm still holding out for Eric Wilson and/or Samson Ebukam for a coverage linebacker, but we'll see how the draft unfolds.

Van Noy:

Height: 6031
Weight: 243
40 Yrd Dash: 4.71
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 7.22

McClellin:

Height: 6033
Weight: 260
40 Yrd Dash: 4.75
20 Yrd Dash: 2.69
10 Yrd Dash: 1.59
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Biegel:

Height: 6031
Weight: 246
40 Yrd Dash: 4.67
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
3-Cone Drill: 6.92

I would love to see the Pats grab TE Bucky Hodges if he is still on the board when we pick. He might be a project, but a freak athlete at TE. Gronk, Allen & Hodges would be sick.

I agree, not so much because he's a better athlete than an average NFL tight end, but because he was incredibly clutch at VT. He constantly showed up when it counted.

Our lack of roster spot is known. I doubt we get many quality UDFAs. They agents should advise them to sign elsewhere.

Nope, they agents should pay attention to the rate at which UDFA's make a roster, and are given a shot. Secure coaches don't care where a player is drafted; new or insecure coaches need to please the owner and fanbase by keeping draft picks above UDFA's.

Plus, the Butler story will give the Pats an edge here for years to come.

Isn't Jackson the safety from Alabama still out there?

Bb loves safeties!

I would be happy with Jackson, we need a strong safety behind Chung unless Richards wants to copy Cannon.

Players to watch combining NE contacts with roster space:

TE
Leggett (potential franchise #1 TE)
Hodges
Croom
(no TE was reported for official visit @Foxboro)

IOL
Asiata
Gennesy
Eluemunor
Fuller
(sneaky suspicion if Asiata goes)
Morgan
Eide
Michael Coe

DB
CB Corn Elder (that would make my day)
CB Brandon Wilson
CB Myrick
CB Likely (sic!)
CB Killings (sic!)
SS Gerry
FS Nacua
DB McQuay
DB Clark
DB DeAndrade
S Bailey-Smith (ST in college)

LB
Langi
Wilson
Reeves-Maybin
(Id love it)
Lee
Onwualu
Holloman
Calitro

EDGE 2
look at post: Meet Derek Rivers!

Other positions are so loaded that a pick most likely would be waisted.
Also a lot of very good UDFA talent @ WR, RB, S, DL etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday