PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Resetting for day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Still a lot of talent left on the board. Someone good will be there at our 4th round pick.

My top guys for the Pats are in no order.

Carl Lawson - DE/pass rusher
Jake Butt - TE
D. King - DB
Corn Elder - CB
Howard Wilson - CB
Carroll Phillips - Edge
Anthony Walker - LB

These are not automatically the top players left (though some are) but a mix of talent, need and upside. These are the guys I would hope the Pats consider in the 4th assuming some drop which i am sure some will.

The only thing is i am not a big fan of the LBs left but I think Walker could be very interesting. A bit like Valentine as he wasn't that impressive last year for certain reasons but the year before he has very solid tape. Besides him IDK if I like anyone else but could be an over draft at that pick.

Last edited:
Would love Lawson, and call it a draft.
Grab some UDFA's and let it shake out

Would love to get Butt. Can you imagine Gronk out there with a guy named Butt? It's too perfect NOT to happen.

Oh, and I like the player himself too :D Getting Lawson would also be great.

I'm just looking at need, would like another interior OL depth pick. Can never have too much big nasty in the trenches. We've got enough TE depth, ditto DBs. Maybe one more LB, but OL is more of a difference maker IMO.

The Pats will need close to 20 UDFAs to fill out the roster.
Just curious--how does this compare to most years? I'm assuming that we'd normally have about 75 players after the draft (assuming they all get under contract, of course).

Wait.. who is are #2 Tight End? We lost an important player in Bennet.. who is his replacement? Did we sign a free.. oh nvm I remember we signed a TE.. sorry pointless post. Allen.. Dwayne Allen that is.

I'd expect 5 to 6 more vet signings. Anyone got the number on roster now?
I've got 65 under contract plus the 2 from tonight = 67. Assume another 5 picks or so and that takes us to at least the early 70s. Add in another few vet signings and that would take us to the mid-high 70s.

I'm going to guess about 12-15 UDFAs, but then again, @ctpatsfan77 is usually all over these sort of things, so I wouldn't be the guy to question him. It will obviously depend on the specific number of picks taken + the number of vets signed.

Top targets:

Jeremy Sprinkle - Arkansas - TE - 6'5" 260
Sam Tevi - Utah - OG - 6'5" 315
Trevor Knight - Texas A&M - QB/WR - 6'1" 215
Chris Carson - Oklahoma State - HB - 6'0" 220
George Kittle - Iowa - TE - 6'4" 250
Brian Allen - Utah - CB - 6'3" 215
Jeremy Clark - Michigan - CB - 6'3" 215
Alex Torgersen - Pennsylvannia - QB - 6'2" 220
Bart Houston - Wisconsin - QB - 6'3" 230

I would love to get the top 3. That would seal the deal for me.

Can't wait to mock up a depth chart after tomorrow is done.

Lawson's knees must be in much worse shape than I thought for him to still be out there. I pass.

I wanted King with our first pick, not sure what the issue is with him but he looks a patriot to me.

Anyway there's plenty of good players still on the board to choose from.

Last edited:
Out of the #72 & #96, I was hoping that the Pats could add ...
... an OLB/Edge prospect with potential rookie impact
... an OT prospect with the potential to become a 2018 starter (or upgrade backup, at least).

I was hoping for Ryan Anderson for the first slot, but the Skins snagged him at #49. Rivers was my second choice.

For the OT, I was down to either Garcia or Davenport.

So, Mission accomplished.

For the Pats Day-3 picks (now down to #131, #183, & #239), the selections could be almost any BPA (with ST potential) at any position. It feels like they'll be icing on the cake, even if they only make the PS.

My priorities would include ...
... CB - potential 2018 starter at LCB (or at least Coleman upgrade)
... SF - legit 4th safety/backup with at least some potential to supplant Chung by 2018/2019
... DE - backup/special-teamer with the potential to add to the rotation in 2018
... LB - with solid coverage skills, potential to add to the rotation by 2018
... TE - potential competition for the #3 spot (solid blocker with some receiving ability)
... OG - upgrade to current PS backups with 53-man potential for 2018 (PS stash)
... DT - potential upgrade to Hamilton/Kilgo (PS stash)
... WR - potential 2018 contributor in the slot (PS stash)
... RB - potential 2018 backup/rotational prospect for either Gillislee or White (PS stash)

Still on the board are a lot of prospects with whom the Pats had pre-draft contact, and even a few binkies (Kittle!), so today and tomorrow should be a blast, regardless.

Just curious--how does this compare to most years? I'm assuming that we'd normally have about 75 players after the draft (assuming they all get under contract, of course).

2013 and 2014 both saw 20+ UDFA or tryout players, so there's precedence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News