PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports/Speculation: Texans will pursue Caserio AGAIN after 2020 Draft/UPDATE - Rumor: He wants out

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s true that a contract cannot overrule a league rule, but the Patriots situation is more complex. The question is whether or not Caserio is right now considered a “high-level employee” or “non high-level employee.” The contract may contain a clause by which Caserio acknowledges he is in fact a “high-level employee” which may be further supported by his responsibilities and compensation being commensurate to other GMs and top-level personnel leaders.

Another way of looking at it is, what if a GM was in a situation where he didn’t have complete autonomy and needed the owner/coach to agree on personnel decisions. Would he be able to get a “promotion” by going to another organization where he has full autonomy? The argument gets pretty gray. Caserio is the highest ranking personnel guy on the Patriots by title and is likely paid like it, too.

New England Patriots

And that is why Florio’s reasoning is specious. It’s a very slippery slope to overlook title and compensation, perhaps defined in the language of the contract, and make judgment calls on which position is “higher level” when both quality as “high-level.” Many organizations have GMs who don’t have full autonomy, but they are protected.

Does the Caserio clause comply with league rules?

The emphasis wasn’t added by me; it appears in the policy. And the argument would be, if push comes to shove, that this provision of the tampering policy supersedes the Caserio clause, which as applied would prevent him from leaving his non-high-level employee job with the Patriots (coach Bill Belichick obviously runs the show in New England) for an opportunity to become a “high-level employee” with another team.

Just tell me how many draft picks :(

I don’t know who wrote it but the best way for the Patriots to resolve this would be to mimic the McDaniels deal. Give Caserio a new 5 year deal at the same $ the Jets are paying Douglas, which would reportedly be a 1 million a year bump for Caserio. And put the same clause in it.F.ck the Texans, I hope they lose every game

I think we're both right. His contract expired, but his leaving wasn't because they didn't renew his contract. He left on his own.
Well you said he quit and that’s not right, he didnt have a job to quit. Whether the team wanted him back or not is just speculation. And saying he left wasn’t because they didn’t renew his contract is just a guess on your part.

That’s quite a freezing cold take, Mrs. Volin. Your son does not need any “promoting” on this site. He is well known and almost universally considered to be a joke.

While you’re defense of Benny is commendable, he is not a media savant. He is not even a media idiot savant. He is a doughy d-bag with no credibility.
I'm sorry. I realize now I should have been more direct with you. Allow me to correct myself.

Your son does not need any “promoting” on this site.
Yet you and others continue to promote him on this site.
He is well known
Only because you and others keep talking about them! If you didn't, guess what! He wouldn't be well known!!!
While you’re defense of Benny is commendable
Defense? No, I would never defend a clickbaiter. I was just pointing out that he played your ass.
he is not a media savant.
Getting you and others to do exactly what they want you to do. I'd say that qualifies as a media savant.
He is a doughy d-bag with no credibility.
Yes, they all are. But you and others keep them in business by talking about them, by posting their articles and tweets. If you all just blacklisted the **** out of them, never talk about them, actively avoid any show, segment, article, tweet, etc with them on it. Guess what! Their ratings would plummet, so they would get canned!

They're douchebags, no doubt. But you and others are even bigger douchebags for continuing to promote them. If I had to choose who I'd rather see have a pile of cowshit dropped on them I'd choose you and the others over the clickbaiters every freaking time!!!!! They're bad, but you people are worse!

and almost universally considered to be a joke.
The only joke is you and other people who continue to give them your time. They have a purpose. They have a goal. They're achieving their goal. What are you doing? Blindly allowing yourself to be manipulated like a freaking pawn? Now that's what a joke is.

So are you and others going to get your heads out of your ****ing asses? Or do you want to be considered a joke for an eternity? Because that's all you all are when you promote them.

I respect Ben Volin more than you. Volin knows exactly what he's doing. He has even embraced the "Trollin' Volin" moniker. You're promoting him. You're doing exactly what he wants you to do. Congratulations. The only clueless person is you and other people who keep promoting them by talking about them on here or anywhere else.

I am not sure respect should be in the same sentence as Volin. Without a negation that is.

I don't follow how you can be blocked from interviewing in your contract. If Caserio is offered a GM job, he's currently not GM, per nfl rules the Pats can't stop this yes ? Otherwise it's pretty much directly breaking the nfl rules.

I don't follow how you can be blocked from interviewing in your contract. If Caserio is offered a GM job, he's currently not GM, per nfl rules the Pats can't stop this yes ? Otherwise it's pretty much directly breaking the nfl rules.
Easy. He signed an exclusive employment agreement

Because Caserio is a "high-level executive of Football Operations" and currently under contract. Furthermore, his contract specifically stipulates that he can't negotiate with other teams.

The part of the anti-tampering rule that Florio referred to is for NON-Football operations Employees. Hence, it's not applicable.

EDIT:

Section 4 (e)(2) specifically addresses a team and employee "express written agreement to the contrary".

Seems to be a pretty big misunderstanding of the common at-will employment versus contract employment often used at upper levels.

I would be interested to see if a team were to challenge the NFL in court. Yes, they are part of the NFL in one sense, but then again this is a binding employment contract. Once the contract has been approved and signed, I don’t know if the NFL has the legal authority (as decided by a federal court) to override a clause like this. Teams would typically defer to the NYFL on these matters, but the New England Patriots are paying Nick Caserio, not the NFL. As an employer and employee, both sides took on the risk:reward of a binding employment contract with all of its terms. I don’t know if Ginger Daddy would actually have authority to invalidate this document. I’d think the time would have been at the time of signing.

Player contracts are different.

I am not sure respect should be in the same sentence as Volin. Without a negation that is.
Yes, you're right. I was trying to communicate it as I have very little respect for the people who promote the clickbaiters. I will try to do better next time.

Yes, you're right. I was trying to communicate it as I have very little respect for the people who promote the clickbaiters. I will try to do better next time.

All I have to say is **** Volin.

All I have to say is **** Volin.

I’m fine with reporters reporting facts the franchise does want want to hear, but I hate the reporters and media who hate them and do everything they can to stick it to them. As you said so eloquently. f.ck Volin

Which indicates to me that he isn’t looking to leave NE. Sign him long term, give him the GM title. and make Belichick team president and coach.
I don't think so either but we'll find out for sure in 2020.

Aren’t all contracts “exclusive employment”..?

I believe if Caserio and the Texans each pushed this to the max, they’d get their way (all the “league hates us” people should probably go along with that belief). I am glad it is not going to come to that.

Seems to be a pretty big misunderstanding of the common at-will employment versus contract employment often used at upper levels.

I would be interested to see if a team were to challenge the NFL in court. Yes, they are part of the NFL in one sense, but then again this is a binding employment contract. Once the contract has been approved and signed, I don’t know if the NFL has the legal authority (as decided by a federal court) to override a clause like this. Teams would typically defer to the NYFL on these matters, but the New England Patriots are paying Nick Caserio, not the NFL. As an employer and employee, both sides took on the risk:reward of a binding employment contract with all of its terms. I don’t know if Ginger Daddy would actually have authority to invalidate this document. I’d think the time would have been at the time of signing.
I’d bet dollars to donuts that somewhere in the league-franchise agreement, there is a clause giving the commissioner authority in situations such as this.

Aren’t all contracts “exclusive employment”..?

I believe if Caserio and the Texans each pushed this to the max, they’d get their way (all the “league hates us” people should probably go along with that belief). I am glad it is not going to come to that.
It's industry jargon. I'll let you research it.

If you believe it, ok. It's a free country

I don't think so either but we'll find out for sure in 2020.

I agree. If the Patriots don't sign Caserio long term before it runs out I will be shocked. Belichick has spent almost his entire career in NE bringing Caserio along, and I can’t imagine Caserio taking that to lead another franchise. It could happen, but I seriously doubt it will.

It certainly was mandated by the league. Bill was under threat (by the Jets and the league) to not allowed to be able to coach anywhere in the league. Yes, the draft pick was hashed out between the teams, but under threat from the league.

The draft pick wasn't mandated by the league. The Jets ownership changed and wanted to resolve the problem of having a coach that had no interest in working there.

In any case, I wasn't talking about Caserio staying AND getting picks.

Maybe not, but that's what WE were talking about.

It’s become very simple, sign him or he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News