PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Talib, Sherman 'have their eye on Patriots'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't think we've seen the Best Cooks and Brady can give us. I really want to see them together for a year two. I get that people think that money can be used well elsewhere but Brady and Cooks need more time together.

Rumors at the NFL combine say we are looking to trade for Clowney for the 31st pick.
As well as Brandin Cooks away to the Bears for a second rounder.

How gullible are you? Neither of those things are actual reports. It was some espn stooge mediot making hypothetical trades

How gullible are you? Neither of those things are actual reports. It was some espn stooge mediot making hypothetical trades
It was reputable chatter around the combine.
If it was fabricated shame on them.
Calling me gullible is a jerk move unless you have intimate knowledge from Caserio or Belichick himself.
If you do I bow to your all knowing prowess.
If you don't then please don't call me gullible reporting trade rumors.

I don't want either of them. Don't like either of them personally. But if I had to pick one it would be Sherman, even with the injury. I watched a lot of Broncos games last year. Talib is still a decent CB. But if you think he is the same caliber of player he was when he was here, you are sorely mistaken. And he is injury prone. At 32 years old, I don't see that changing for the better.

But does Talib or Sherman change that?

What I mean is, they went into the game intentionally using big nickel, with Chung in the slot and DMac playing SS, and using Gilmore and Rowe on the outside. And the went big (huge?) dime on 3rd down with Richards. With Sherman or Talib, does that change things? They take Rowe's spot, but given then were looking to go heavier, I'm not sure Rowe is out there in the slot or as the 6th DB. Maybe they would have put Rowe in the slot as their 2nd half adjustment instead of Bademosi, but that's not exactly his strength. I think the real problem was with the game plan, which was probably partially caused by the lack faith in our LBs and DL to be able to stop the run without extra safety support.

You are trying to reason with people that still think the secondary was the issue in the SB. If by now they have not taken the effort to read through various analysis or rewatch the game to see that in reality the front 7 was the main problem then there is no hope for them.

You are trying to reason with people that still think the secondary was the issue in the SB. If by now they have not taken the effort to read through various analysis or rewatch the game to see that in reality the front 7 was the main problem then there is no hope for them.

What you're failing to take into account is, you so badly think its our front 7 that we should fix and spend on, but fail to mention a legit plan to do so. Please name a few former pro bowl/all pro defensive linemen who are available for trade, and are on somewhat reasonable contracts. There just aren't many. bennett was about the only one and clearly that didn't work. Anyone else who would make a splash would cost at least another 5 million a season. The draft is our best bet on for the front 7.

It was reputable chatter around the combine.
If it was fabricated shame on them.
Calling me gullible is a jerk move unless you have intimate knowledge from Caserio or Belichick himself.
If you do I bow to your all knowing prowess.
If you don't then please don't call me gullible reporting trade rumors.

You are not only gullible as genius posts like those show:

Rumors at the NFL combine say we are looking to trade for Clowney for the 31st pick.
As well as Brandin Cooks away to the Bears for a second rounder.

I'd only be ok trading Cooks if Robinson or Watkins or Martavius Bryant is walking thru that door.

but also terrible at assessing players. Cooks over Watkins, Bryant and Robinson (coming of an ACL) every day. Especially Watkins and Bryant are laughable. Both moody divas that have done nothing in this league with the latter being one misstep away from a long suspension.

The fact that you would actually torpedo our salary cap structure and throw away #31 for a year of Clowney at 13.8m just shows that you are playing fantasy football in your mind. Because he is exactly the kind of player -- like Chandler Jones -- that we would not give a second contract but let hit FA.

Finally you are the clown for taking IncarcaretedBob level rumors serious and defending them and not the people calling you out.

What you're failing to take into account is, you so badly think its our front 7 that we should fix and spend on, but fail to mention a legit plan to do so. Please name a few former pro bowl/all pro defensive linemen who are available for trade, and are on somewhat reasonable contracts. There just aren't many. bennett was about the only one and clearly that didn't work. Anyone else who would make a splash would cost at least another 5 million a season. The draft is our best bet on for the front 7.

Am I the GM for the Patriots ? Why the **** should I be expected to come up with a plan ?

The reality is that people who have no clue what they are talking about keep dreaming about scenarios where we invest money in a secondary that is already stacked instead of putting those resources into positions that would have a bigger impact. And then that stacked secondary will get torched again because we cant stop the run and have to play with more people in the box and the circus starts anew.

You are not only gullible as genius posts like those show:

but also terrible at assessing players. Cooks over Watkins, Bryant and Robinson (coming of an ACL) every day. Especially Watkins and Bryant are laughable. Both moody divas that have done nothing in this league with the latter being one misstep away from a long suspension.

The fact that you would actually torpedo our salary cap structure and throw away #31 for a year of Clowney at 13.8m just shows that you are playing fantasy football in your mind. Because he is exactly the kind of player -- like Chandler Jones -- that we would not give a second contract but let hit FA.

Finally you are the clown for taking IncarcaretedBob level rumors serious and defending them and not the people calling you out.
All Bill has shown us time and time again we have no idea what he will or won't do improve this team.
I could once again show each time BB has surprised us and once again broke the mold for what his philosophy cap structure and ways to obtain a player have changed year in and year out.
Let's just enjoy the ride that will be the Patriots coming off a Superbowl loss where Bill could even stay the course and replace a few holes.
I believe he goes almost nuclear on defense.

I still don't think we've seen the Best Cooks and Brady can give us. I really want to see them together for a year two. I get that people think that money can be used well elsewhere but Brady and Cooks need more time together.

Agree with the above, though Cooks wasn't exactly a cypher in last year's offense. Granted, he also wasn't Randy Moss, and he costs 8.45m to keep, in present contract. If Gronk's in the fold, he's still looking at fighting for #1 among receivers, with a big chunk going to the TE. RB is in flux but always competes for that attention as well...

I th11ink if JE is BACK back, Cooks just gets better... if he's here. It costs almost $8.5 m this year, last year was the "show me" year. Tough call... solid numbers, but can you justify the 2018 money based on 2017? Or is he a restructuring target?

I dunno. Way smarter guys here than me, axe them LOL

All Bill has shown us time and time again we have no idea what he will or won't do improve this team.
I could once again show each time BB has surprised us and once again broke the mold for what his philosophy cap structure and ways to obtain a player have changed year in and year out.

Please go and show us the repeated times when BB broke his own philosophical approaches towards salary cap and roster management. I am curious..

Let's just enjoy the ride that will be the Patriots coming off a Superbowl loss where Bill could even stay the course and replace a few holes.
I believe he goes almost nuclear on defense.

There is no reason to go nuclear on a defense that was good enough to deliver a top seed, BYE and got us to the SB when the offense was stuttering against the likes of Jacksonville. Do we need to upgrade certain positions ? Definitely. But we are not talking about open heart surgery on the entire defense here.

Where was all the same negativity last year where we had essentially an identical year but got lucky to make every important play to comeback against the Falcons ? You and others are getting way too dramatic over losing the SB. It sucks but unlike 30 other teams we at least made it there.

What will you do if they miss the playoffs one day ? Demand the coaching staff to be fired ?

Last edited:
Can't see them both joining. Would rather Sherman over Talib but I think Talib will be the cheaper option and therefore the most likely one.

But does Talib or Sherman change that?

What I mean is, they went into the game intentionally using big nickel, with Chung in the slot and DMac playing SS, and using Gilmore and Rowe on the outside. And the went big (huge?) dime on 3rd down with Richards. With Sherman or Talib, does that change things? They take Rowe's spot, but given then were looking to go heavier, I'm not sure Rowe is out there in the slot or as the 6th DB. Maybe they would have put Rowe in the slot as their 2nd half adjustment instead of Bademosi, but that's not exactly his strength. I think the real problem was with the game plan, which was probably partially caused by the lack faith in our LBs and DL to be able to stop the run without extra safety support.

Kaboom.

You guys can get all the fancy toys you want. But don't cut in line. You can get anything you want after I get my damn Nose Tackle. :D

Really? Did you watch the super bowl? They immediately went after him.

And once he was put on Jefferies he played much better. The coaches own that loss imo. They had a bad game plan and couldn’t figure out how to stop the Eagles offense. Were they hamstrung by significant injuries, absolutely, but they still needed to find a way to get stops and they didn’t do so. I’m not absolving the players but I still think the bulk of the blame goes on the coaches. Great coaching staff, bad job that game.

Last edited:
Can they rush the Qb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes