PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Talib, Sherman 'have their eye on Patriots'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my honest opinion, but based on the reports I think both Sherman & Talib may be “in a race” to be cut/released by their respective teams in order to come here. What we do know, is that both CBs would like to play for NE. They are well aware that if one gets scooped up by NE, it’s pretty much “night-night” for the other CB. Just a theory I have.
How about both?

How about both?
Lol I’d love that, but NO WAY IN HELL that happens!

1. BB is our coach.
2. We’re already paying top dollar for Gilmore.
3. BB is our coach.
4. We have other priorities (Solder, Da Burkmeister, Slater, Ebner etc....)
5. Lastly, BB is our coach.

Did I mention that BB is our coach? :D

I think I'd rather have Talib this year since Sherman's still dealing with the Achilles and probably won't be 100% this year.

Honestly, for me it’s pretty simple. Health permitted, I’m taking Sherman all day/long-term. However, for this year with all things considered, Talib is probably our guy. Plus, he already knows the system & is able to man up in coverage.

Either way, we win:

1. Gilmore- Talib- J. Jones-Rowe
2. Gilmore- Sherman (Healthy)- J. Jones- Rowe

Last edited:
Gilmore
Talib
Sherman

That’s best in the league.

Lol I’d love that, but NO WAY IN HELL that happens!

1. BB is our coach.
2. We’re already paying top dollar for Gilmore.
3. BB is our coach.
4. We have other priorities (Solder, Da Burkmeister, Slater, Ebner etc....)
5. Lastly, BB is our coach.

Did I mention that BB is our coach? :D

I'm still having a hard time believing the Pats would want to pay that much for their secondary. I can't imagine those guys going as low as a 7m cap charge, even despite Sherman's injury. 7m was Revis' cap charge in 2014 (took a 5m dead money charge in 2015). And even at 7m, that's an expensive secondary when you think of the other weaknesses the team needs to address with limited cap dollars.

I'm still having a hard time believing the Pats would want to pay that much for their secondary. I can't imagine those guys going as low as a 7m cap charge, even despite Sherman's injury. 7m was Revis' cap charge in 2014 (took a 5m dead money charge in 2015). And even at 7m, that's an expensive secondary when you think of the other weaknesses the team needs to address with limited cap dollars.
We couldn't stop Nick Foles throwing the ball.
Get **** Aquib and Jadeveon that's championship defensive additions.

We couldn't stop Nick Foles throwing the ball.
Get **** Aquib and Jadeveon that's championship defensive additions.

Rowe wasn't terrible in the SB after being taken off Jeffries. With Talib out there instead of Rowe, we still wouldn't have been able to stop Nick Foles from throwing the ball given the complete lack of pass rush.

Rowe wasn't terrible in the SB after being taken off Jeffries. With Talib out there instead of Rowe, we still wouldn't have been able to stop Nick Foles from throwing the ball given the complete lack of pass rush.
You forget because Butler wore a free Hernandez t shirt I mean it had to be something like that because Richards was on the field in the Superbowl for gods sake.

You forget because Butler wore a free Hernandez t shirt I mean it had to be something like that because Richards was on the field in the Superbowl for gods sake.

But does Talib or Sherman change that?

What I mean is, they went into the game intentionally using big nickel, with Chung in the slot and DMac playing SS, and using Gilmore and Rowe on the outside. And the went big (huge?) dime on 3rd down with Richards. With Sherman or Talib, does that change things? They take Rowe's spot, but given then were looking to go heavier, I'm not sure Rowe is out there in the slot or as the 6th DB. Maybe they would have put Rowe in the slot as their 2nd half adjustment instead of Bademosi, but that's not exactly his strength. I think the real problem was with the game plan, which was probably partially caused by the lack faith in our LBs and DL to be able to stop the run without extra safety support.

If Jonathan Jones was healthy we win that Superbowl he would of neutralized Agholar.

If Jonathan Jones was healthy we win that Superbowl he would of neutralized Agholar.

Not sure I'm willing to say they win for sure, but I agree - Jones was a huge loss and his presence would have really helped versus Agholar.

Well this is very interesting. I'd be pretty happy with either. I like Sherman a little more as a guy, I think, but Talib is healthier. It does feel a bit like they are both trying to get cut ASAP and get to NE first before the other one does. Would be interesting if they were released at roughly the same time and NE got to choose.

Certainly takes a lot of the sting out of the presumed Butler departure. How often do you lose your talented CB2 and then get to upgrade his position immediately? Gilmore-Sherman/Talib is better than Revis-Browner was and that was a pretty damn good secondary.

Imagine, if you will, a world in which both Talib and Sherman are released into the wild as street free agents and both want to play for the Patriots. They both know that BB will only choose one of them, and they begin underbidding each other to be chosen.

Que "Twilight Zone" theme over a shot of Lane Johnson watching this all unfold on BSPN while shaking his head in disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes