SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Solid Draft
The Patriots walked away with 10 pretty solid additions coming off draft weekend, injecting some youth into the Super Bowl champs' roster.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Report: Phillip Dorsett back on one-year deal

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Tunescribe, Mar 13, 2019.

1. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,547
    That catch in the AFCCG was amazing. They don't make the Super Bowl or maybe even the playoffs without him. Glad he is back.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2

2. Simpelton

Simpelton In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,050
    What we need out of Dorsett is a receiver who can punish defenses for doubling up guys like Edelman and Gronk. If they create mismatches by doubling up our top guys it's up to the depth guys to run wild on them and force them to change up their defense. I'll be watching Dorsett closely next year to see if he can improve to that level. If he can he'll be a starter in 2021, either here or elsewhere. If not, then he's JAG with some nice speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +3,050
    We make the playoffs regardless. it's not like we had close competition in the AFCE this year. But the AFCCG came down to a razor's edge, without Dorsett's contribution we probably do not win that fight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Soliel

Soliel PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,518
    I hate to say I told you so. Wonder when you guys start to listen. I’ve never been wrong lol

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19,228
    I think the NEXT thing we hear from the Pats is an announcement of someone restructuring their contracts. BEFORE resigning Slater, Dorsett, Simon, and bringing back Bolden, the Pats had just over $12MM in cap space. I can't imagine they have more than 2 or 3MM left. If they want to add a WR, or another DE down the road, it is clear that SOME adjustments need to be made

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,328
    Boo boo boo Dorsett just isn't that good and that's a fact he was literally replaced by Gordon who had no history of our system in a matter of weeks. That alone should tell ya I hope Barrios or a Draft pick replace him...Dorsett is a bust! Pats should just sign Kevin White to go along another useless First Round WR Bust!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  7. Bruins29

Bruins29 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,205
    Well, there was that one time....

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,332
    Way ahead of you...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,720
    i'd prefer dorsett with years in the system and a pretty decent season last year to any FA WR who doesn't know the system

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,884
    Please use this guy in the offense! He gets open and catches everything. Why the faulk hasn't he seen more balls thrown his way?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

11. tasmlab

tasmlab Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,082
    Fifth year is when WR finally break out, yes?

(Mostly kidding, but year 5 was when JEII's catches/stats/production/role, etc. blossomed.)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +46,639
    Of course. Unlike yourself, I used both the cherry picked numbers (in honor of your nonsense) and his full numbers.

I admit to finding it very amusing to see you whine even after I stated precisely why I was doing what I was doing, and that the reason was because it was a deliberately cherry picked counter to your cherry picked and misleading approach.

How pathetic of you that your argument has now taken you to going back to last year. The moment you typed that into your response box, you should have realized you were posting horse **** and just moved on.

Ok, that's just a painfully stupid argument.

Your first post was misleading. Your second post is both misleading and stupid. You're heading in the wrong direction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. UptownPatsFan

UptownPatsFan Standin' Pat

Ratings:
    +14,141
    He also made a great TD catch against LAC.

14. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +46,639
    Based upon the second part of mg's post, I assumed that he got the names mixed up, since Patterson is the utility player.

15. Gronkowski123

Gronkowski123 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6,309
    Not consistent enough for my liking. He does have the physical attributes..

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SBLIII

SBLIII 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,366
    If he isn't #1 or #2 it's a valuable addition to any team imo.

17. Kargetina

Kargetina On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1,256
    Only a miserable human being discusses things with the tone you do. You're truly a very tough and imposing figure using insults in every paragraph via the internet. Embarrassing.

On topic:

I used last year's stats because you deliberately posted false info to argue your point:

''However, since you've chosen to highlight that Detroit game, I'll highlight every other one of Dorsett's games before Gordon came onto the scene and displaced him:

Catches/Targets
    7/7
    5/7
    4/7
    3/3
    total: 19/24''

The last two games are games where both Gordon and Dorsett played, against the Colts and Dolphins, so Dorsett only had 3 games without Gordon, one of which was the Lions game. Which is why i showed the actual 5-6 previous games that Dorsett played without Gordon. But it didn't suit your argument so you descended into a tirade of insults.

And of course having only one decent playoff game that resulted in 4 catches/40 yards/1 TD is ''a stupid argument''. Who would ever want a receiver that can actually create separation and perform in the playoffs? We had ONE capable receiver this year after the Gordon suspension, and the door was wide open for Dorsett to establish himself and he didn't.

Dorsett has 7 catches for 120 yards in these 2 playoff runs combined. Which averages out to 1,4 catch per game and 24 yards. For a simple comparison, Amendola had 152 yards on 8 catches, and Hogan had 128 yards on 6 catches in last years Super Bowl alone.

The crux of your argument that Dorsett was ''on pace'' to have so-and-so catches makes no sense.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had 11 TD passes in the first three games. I guess he was on pace to have 50+ TD's. Ended with 17 for the season but who's counting?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,407
    Good speed. Hope he continues to improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +46,639

Brady threw 2 TDs in this past postseason. Both were to Dorsett, the guy who was on pace for more than 60 catches before Josh Gordon took his spot. But you keep babbling on as if you've got some kind of a point, when you've got nothing.

As for miserable human beings, you're pissing and moaning about a WR3, in day 2 of free agency, and you're crying like a spoiled child because someone is pointing out that you're being misleading with your posts about that WR.

It doesn't get much more miserable than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +3,050
    This was a pretty weak argument. Yes Dorsettt's production was low if you tie the two postseasons together, because most of that production was in the most recent postseason, and we weren't actually counting on Dorsett for very much production at all in 2017-2018.

And yet we could all see the number of times that Dorsett was open and Brady opted to throw to another receiver, usually Edelman or Amendola. Anyone with a shred of objectivity would grade Dorsett on a curve based on this.

It takes a miserable human being indeed to blame Dorsett for not being a big feature of an offense that didn't ask, expect, or arguably even permit Dorsett to make a large contribution.

With that said he STILL had the highest catch rate per target of any receiver who got significant snaps last year. I expect that to go down a bit if he starts really being a major piece of the offense and drawing coverage accordingly, but getting up into the ~500 yard level next year is going to be a matter of whether he gets the targets, not whether he's good enough to produce at that level -- he is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1