PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Phillip Dorsett back on one-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for continuity. I know not everyone feels this way but I want to see Hogan re-upped as well. Bring in another veteran plus a couple rookies (maybe Berrios in the mix as well) and see how things shake down in August.

Totally agree with you on that....not everyone feels that way. Not sure I feel that way either. If he comes back and kicks butt.....awesome.

Basically have the same thoughts as everyone else here.

Looked promising when he was actually targeted, don't understand why those targets ceased (ZERO targets in the Super Bowl)

WR still our biggest need.

I don't know why but I have an irrational confidence that Dorsett will be our long term replacement for Julian Edelman.

If he has a good year with the Pats, his next contract will price him out of their market. So, doubt it.

Hogan i think needs to go. Can't get open, can't win a 50 50 ball. His catch in the afccg was great however.

A one year deal. Edelman is a FA next year. If Gordon comes back, it’s for one year. Not a lot of cap room. I can see them going big in the draft at WR. A double or even triple dip.

If he has a good year with the Pats, his next contract will price him out of their market. So, doubt it.

Yes, but the chances are unlikely. While I am high on Dorsett ultimately he is still behind Edelman on the depth chart as the flank receiver, and he is not good/big enough to play outside. Unless Edelman gets hurt I'm predicting a 500 yard/4 TD season from him.

Dorsett: 76% catch rate on limited action, has shown the ability to separate & a good teammate. Your ideal WR3/4.

Edelman
???
Dorsett
???
Gordon

Tate & a rookie drafted in the top 100 would be a great way to round out the group. Reiss continues to hint at him:

I’ll definitely take Dorsett over Hogan moving forward.

I don't know why but I have an irrational confidence that Dorsett will be our long term replacement for Julian Edelman.

I agree with you!

That IS irrational.

Yes, but the chances are unlikely. While I am high on Dorsett ultimately he is still behind Edelman on the depth chart as the flank receiver, and he is not good/big enough to play outside. Unless Edelman gets hurt I'm predicting a 500 yard/4 TD season from him.

Good prediction (and would probably get Dorsett a huge deal in FA, lol).

I wouldn't mind if the Pats backed off Edelman's work load during the season...keep him fresh for the real season, which begins in January, I believe.

I'd like to see them do the same with Gronk.

A one year deal. Edelman is a FA next year. If Gordon comes back, it’s for one year. Not a lot of cap room. I can see them going big in the draft at WR. A double or even triple dip.

We’re relying on the Patriots Draft WR Scouts? Dear god help us

Picked him up off waivers after his big Week 1 performance. Thought he had a chance to catch 70+ balls.

Didn't really work out that way.

Eight total targets between weeks 6 and 15. Inexplicable.

Picked him up off waivers after his big Week 1 performance. Thought he had a chance to catch 70+ balls.

Didn't really work out that way.

Eight total targets between weeks 6 and 15. Inexplicable.

The explanation is easy: Josh Gordon

Good. I wanted him here. They will need to add new faces in FA or the draft but at least now Brady has 2 WRs he has worked with before. I think that is important going forward into this year. And yes, I know Gordon is here too but i'm not counting on that. It be nice but I see him as a bonus not a sure thing.

Basically have the same thoughts as everyone else here.

Looked promising when he was actually targeted, don't understand why those targets ceased (ZERO targets in the Super Bowl)

WR still our biggest need.
How can you call yourself a Pats fan and think WR is "our biggest need". Have you not witnessed the last 19 years. These are the Patriots and WR will NEVER be viewed as their biggest need. Get used to it. ;)

BTW- I'm glad they resigned him, though I have to admit that at the end of the season if I was given the choice of keeping either Dorsett or Patterson, I would have chosen Patterson. But that's just me, and I am widely known as someone who holds EVERY WR with little respect....well maybe Jules....just a bit.....because he's tough AND Jewish. ;)

If we had 4 other WR's (including Gordon), then I too might prefer Dorsett to Patterson.
As it is, we really needed at actual WR, instead of utility player.

BTW- I'm glad they resigned him, though I have to admit that at the end of the season if I was given the choice of keeping either Dorsett or Patterson, I would have chosen Patterson. But that's just me, and I am widely known as someone who holds EVERY WR with little respect....well maybe Jules....just a bit.....because he's tough AND Jewish. ;)

Is bb ready to make Dorsett a starter?

Is bb ready to make Dorsett a starter?

From reading the tea leaves of the reporters' Twitter posts, I'm guessing it's more like being a WR3 with room to prove himself. But that's just a guess.

If we had 4 other WR's (including Gordon), then I too might prefer Dorsett to Patterson.
As it is, we really needed at actual WR, instead of utility player.
Evidently he came back because McDaniels convinced him that he was going to be MORE than just a "utility player". Now we can make as much or as little of that as we like.

I mean that is what off seasons are supposed to be about. God knows for Pats fans, the FA period and the draft is usually made up of being frustrated watching all these great players moving on to OTHER teams. Followed by an April where we will find ourselves welcoming 7-12 new players we have never heard of. Then looking to the draftniks to tell us who we got and why we should be excited to have them. ;)

I mean when you think about it, it usually sucks to be a Pats fan during the off season. But I guess its Karma. I mean its about the ONLY time the other 31 teams in the league get to win, ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes