PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady tried to push Belichick out for Bill O'Brien

Brady wouldn't have made a team without Bill, so kind of just stating facts.
Brady would have ended up in the CFL and struggled because of the lack of screen passes that inflate QB stats.
Probably dates the Miss Edmonton runner up before upgrading to the daughter of a wealthy cow wholesaler.
Moves back to California after getting married & partners up with his old man and sells whole life and wins Agent of the Year seven times.

Why wouldn't he push for Mason? He knows exactly how good he is as a player.
That wasn't my point.

Point is Brady sourced him and is setting the TB offseason agenda- not Licht.

Yes we all know the story, but the player also had to accept the coaching and vice versa. Perfect marriage which lasted two decades. I don't see the point of giving less credit to one side or the other.

Neither would be the GOAT without each other
There should be a formula to decide who's best. I know who I like. :)

Maybe but you can also say Belichick without Brady is possibly fired. Everything fell into place luckily
I know that I'm happy.

That, also, is not true.
Finally we agree on something. Belichick is not a diva.

Could you possibly be any more clueless? During the 2020 playoff run to the SB, Brady played (and beat) the #2 defense, the #4 defense, the #9 defense and the #16 defense.

That's 3 top-10 defenses (and 2 top-5 defenses) he faced and beat. On what planet are #2 and #4 not considered "top defenses"..??

LOL!! That's hilarious how you say he "struggles against the Saints." You are obviously completely clueless to the fact that TB played and beat the Saints in the 2020 playoffs.

Meanwhile, without Brady, Belichick struggles against..... well, he is 8 games under .500 so it looks like he struggles against pretty much everyone, doesn't he?

Sorry not sorry, but I cannot forgive obscene ignorance such as saying #2 and #4 are not "top defenses".

I said he has trouble against good defenses, particulary teams with good defensive lines, didn't I? I never said he couldn't win against those teams.

I'm sorry, WFT, KC, and GB were not elite defenses in 2020. I don't care what their rankings were. GB and KC were middle of the pack defenses in 2020 in terms of the only stat that matters, points. As far as NO is concerned, they didn't have their best pass rusher, Trey Hendrickson, in the playoffs. WFT didn't play too many great teams in 2020 and their stats are inflated. So forgive me if I am skeptical.

Last edited:
There should be a formula to decide who's best. I know who I like. :)

I know that I'm happy.

Finally we agree on something. Belichick is not a diva.

I was referring to the bs about belichick wanted to keep Jimmy g over Brady, but yes we agree there too.

Appreciate you framing your post as sarcastic but I don't think you are wrong.

I firmly believe TB12 pushed & signed off on this deal.
I think his input was taken in to consideration. I would guess that he gave them a list of guys that would work, and then signed off as you said.

These guys are professionals. Any of them would be ok.

I said he has trouble against good defenses, particulary teams with good defensive lines, didn't I?
He scored 30 and 31 points against those 2 top-5 defenses. On what planet is 30+ points "having trouble"...??

Meanwhile, Belichick..... well, without Brady, he has trouble against pretty much everyone, now doesn't he?
I never said he couldn't win against those teams.

I'm sorry, WFT, KC, and GB were not elite defenses in 2020. I don't care what their rankings were. GB and KC were middle of the pack defenses in 2020 in terms of the only stat that matters, points.
Oh you want to talk about points allowed...? OK. Brady played - and beat - the #4, #5, #11 and #13 defenses during the 2020 playoffs. Whether we use points or yards, he beat 2 top-5 defenses, scoring at least 30 points in each of those games.

Seriously, Andy, this is where you make a complete fool of yourself. You wrote "in Brady's 2020 run to the SB, he didn't face a single top defense." I annihilated that statement by accurately stating he beat 2 top-5 defenses. Instead of saying "gee, you know, I guess I misremembered... Brady did in fact beat a couple of top defenses...." you instead double down and try to convince us the #2 and #4 aren't really all that good.

Maybe someday you will learn you look a helluva lot less foolish by admitting you simply made an honest mistake than desperately clinging to a statement which has been proven 100% false.

He scored 30 and 31 points against those 2 top-5 defenses. On what planet is 30+ points "having trouble"...??

Meanwhile, Belichick..... well, without Brady, he has trouble against pretty much everyone, now doesn't he?

Oh you want to talk about points allowed...? OK. Brady played - and beat - the #4, #5, #11 and #13 defenses during the 2020 playoffs. Whether we use points or yards, he beat 2 top-5 defenses, scoring at least 30 points in each of those games.

Seriously, Andy, this is where you make a complete fool of yourself. You wrote "in Brady's 2020 run to the SB, he didn't face a single top defense." I annihilated that statement by accurately stating he beat 2 top-5 defenses. Instead of saying "gee, you know, I guess I misremembered... Brady did in fact beat a couple of top defenses...." you instead double down and try to convince us the #2 and #4 aren't really all top defenses.

Maybe someday you will learn you look a helluva lot less foolish by admitting you simply made an honest mistake than desperately clinging to a statement which has been proven 100% false.

The fact that WFT reverted to being a bottom tier defense in 2021 tells me they were overrated in 2020. NO didn't have their best pass rusher vs TB in the playoffs so of course their D was not the same. GB and KC? LOL. So try again. The fact remains that Brady's postseason run in 2020 was and remains lucky. He couldn't repeat what he did in 2020 in 2021. Not even close.

I think his input was taken in to consideration. I would guess that he gave them a list of guys that would work, and then signed off as you said.

These guys are professionals. Any of them would be ok.
Yep.

I think down there it's just as much of Licht going to Tom with a list of offseason priorities and looking for input and Tom providing him with a grocery list.

This collaboration has the full backing of the Glazer family.

The Shaq deal could have gone down a multitude of ways but I would not be surprised of Tom heard/knew Shaq wanted an extension, was told no by the NEP and quietly reached out to Tom who facilitated the transaction.

There is no doubt this collaboration is working in Tampa.

Last edited:
Yep.

I think down there it's just as much of Licht going to Tom with a list of offseason priorities and looking for input and Tom providing him with a grocery list.

This collaboration has the full backing of the Glazer family.

The Shaq deal could have gone down a multitude of ways but I would not be surprised of Tom heard/knew Shaq wanted an extension, was told no by the NEP and quietly reached out to Tom who facilitated the transaction.

There is no doubt this this collaboration is working in Tampa.
This was my b!tch about how Bill treated Tom at the end. Tom had more in common with Bill than anyone in the locker room. IMO Tom wanted to be treated as a peer, and Bill wanted no part of it. Bill's unbending ways have made him the GOAT coach and he isn't about to alter it for some diva QB. To ask Bill to do that is an impossible task. Can't do it. Not in his make up. You're the player, I am the coach.

The fact that WFT reverted to being a bottom tier defense in 2021 tells me they were overrated in 2020.
We are not talking about 2021, we are talking about 2020 and in 2020, Washington was ranked #2 defensively. It takes a really special type to say #2 in the League is not a "top defense".
NO didn't have their best pass rusher vs TB in the playoffs so of course their D was not the same. GB and KC? LOL. So try again. The fact remains that Brady's postseason run in 2020 was and remains lucky. He couldn't repeat what he did in 2020 in 2021. Not even close.
LOL!! Yeah, it's amazing how "lucky" the great ones get. Michael Jordan? Lucky guy. Tiger Woods? Nothing but lucky shots his entire career!! Tom Brady? He scored 31-30-31-31 in the 2020 playoffs (2 games of which were against top 5 defenses) and it was allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll luck.

Seriously, Andy.... Maybe someday you will learn you look a helluva lot less foolish by admitting you simply made an honest mistake than desperately clinging to a statement which has been proven 100% false.

This was my b!tch about how Bill treated Tom at the end. Tom had more in common with Bill than anyone in the locker room. IMO Tom wanted to be treated as a peer, and Bill wanted no part of it. Bill's unbending ways have made him the GOAT coach and he isn't about to alter it for some diva QB. To ask Bill to do that is an impossible task. Can't do it. Not in his make up. You're the player, I am the coach.
There were reasons for that and yes they are rooted in Bill's philosophy of how a team needs to be run and the need for one person running it.

Apologies but I think the same way as Bill. Players play, coaches coach and GMs GM.

Nah, I changed my name so I don't want to be confused with being a Bradyite...
Right. 99 out if 100 times you post something about Brady it's a knock on him. Yep your screen name would have thrown us all off.

There could be truth to this.

Brady didnt appreciate the lack of weapons on offense when he was willing to take less money. Romo alluded to Brady wanting some help out there.

There were reasons for that and yes they are rooted in Bill's philosophy of how a team needs to be run and the need for one person running it.

Apologies but I think the same way as Bill. Players play, coaches coach and GMs GM.
I agree, with an asterisk. Bill should have realized that Tom Brady's evolution as player required him to be coached differently.

I agree, with an asterisk. Bill should have realized that Tom Brady's evolution as player required him to be coached differently.
Maybe but I don't think it would have changed anything in terms of # of wins or him staying here.

Maybe but I don't think it would have changed anything in terms of # of wins or him staying here.
I dunno... I do know I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this thread, that's for sure. ;)

A. I don't believe it
B. This is why I wished he stayed retired. So much Brady drama

That's a really dumb comment. Brady already has 1 ring without Belichick and with a complete goof for a head coach. Make up more sh!t.

As for the "report", I think it's probably Brady would have wanted O'Brien as the HC had Belichick quit, which to my understanding Belichick never considered doing. There's also no way the Krafts were ever firing Belichick at any point after the 2001 season, which Brady certainly would be aware of, so I don't believe at any point in time he really entertained the notion of O'Brien actually replacing Belichick.

Hypothetically however, if O'Brien had replaced Belichick after the 2017 season, then I think Brady would still be here and I think the Patriots would have won another Super Bowl with Brady/O'Brien over the last 4 seasons.

Bill O’Brien is the only OC that Brady didn’t win a ring with, he was the architect of their loss to the Giants. He sucked as an OC, snd he sucked as a coach. And he proved it again this season as Alabama, who with O’Brien as OC lost in the national championship. There is absolutely no evidence at all that the Patriots would have won a Lombardi with him as head coach, and Belichick won three more rings after replacing him with Josh MacDaniels.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back